Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2023, 11:32 AM

Default Avid's Terrible Website

F*** me, trying to buy pro tools from Avid's website is too painful. First off, it doesn't like chrome, every time I select the subscription and add to cart it wants to change from USD to Euro, great, I'm in the EU, but then it reloads back into USD and the merry-go-round goes on and on.

In Safari I get past that bug but in the checkout, if you're a business with a vat number you can only use that paying with a credit card, if you switch to Paypal it insists on charging vat.

I went to Thomann and two clicks it was bought and paid for, your loss Avid!

Now, I'm on day 2 of trying to download pro tools through their stupid Avid Link app. It's taking forever and there is no resume for downloads should the connection get interrupted which happens a lot. Painful painful painful.

All that aside, the website is awful, so complicated, messy, and ugly, my Avid is full of complex terms and stuff that doesn't work. Terrible experience.
If I was a new customer I'd be put off ever trying to buy pro tools. God, I miss Digidesign.
Moan over but still trying to download pro tools.
Old 03-23-2023, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Avid's Terrible Website

Do you also miss this? I still remember it. Got my first email in 1988 and this appeared to be next best thing since sliced bread...
Old 03-23-2023, 11:47 AM

I agree.
It's a mess.
Old 03-23-2023, 11:54 AM

I went to audiodeluxe. Used voucher, used delux-bucks, ended up quite cheaper than avid, and no hassle.

Clicked an avid-link just yesterday. Response: 404

Yeah it is a mess.
Old 03-23-2023, 01:34 PM

I have the impression Avid has no web team, that they must hire in contractors/a web firm as needed. That's based on reporting a simple error on Avid's web site and support telling me it will get fixed but will take a while, and it's been months. For something that small to large companies I've worked at would have stuff as simple as that fixed within a day or so of having a ticket filed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (fond memories of the other extreme of consulting at Google Cloud and reporting missing/wrong links in Google Cloud website content and watching the web content team roll the ticket to different teams around the world to fix the issue fairly fast. Yes not everybody is Google, but still jeez.).
Old 03-25-2023, 12:25 PM

Support is the single reason I NEVER suggest buying Pro Tools directly from Avid. Going to a retailer is the better option. In the US, Sweetwater, Dale Pro Audio, Alto Music, GC Pro. In Europe, Thomann...Being able to reach someone is really important(and buying direct doesn't save you a dime anyway)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-25-2023, 01:41 PM

Stuff like this is why I've always laughed myself silly whenever people claim Avid's success is only due their marketing.
Old 03-25-2023, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starburst View Post
F*** me, trying to buy pro tools from Avid's website is too painful. First off, it doesn't like chrome, every time I select the subscription and add to cart it wants to change from USD to Euro, great, I'm in the EU, but then it reloads back into USD and the merry-go-round goes on and on.

In Safari I get past that bug but in the checkout, if you're a business with a vat number you can only use that paying with a credit card, if you switch to Paypal it insists on charging vat.

Now, I'm on day 2 of trying to download pro tools through their stupid Avid Link app. It's taking forever and there is no resume for downloads should the connection get interrupted which happens a lot. Painful painful painful.

All that aside, the website is awful, so complicated, messy, and ugly, my Avid is full of complex terms and stuff that doesn't work. Terrible experience.
If I was a new customer I'd be put off ever trying to buy pro tools. God, I miss Digidesign.
Just a heads up-you can download directly from the Your Products page at Avid once you have registered. It's faster and easier IMO
Old 03-28-2023, 11:36 AM

Okay, so its not just me. I tried to use Avid Link the other night to upgrade to PT 3 2023 and it would simply not download anything. Download not available was all I got. I couldn't even update Avid Link itself!!!

Old 03-28-2023, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starburst View Post

I never use Avid link to down load PT it self I always do the from View My Products page on my account page -just a thought

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...