Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-24-2004, 05:44 AM

Default Nero - pre emphasis??

Hi,

I burned a CD of a mix I made today, just to check it on some other speakers.
I used NERO for this. But the CD has much more high end in it....like it is EQ-ed or something. So I ripped the CD to load the track back in PT to do an A-B comparison with the multitrack file of the same song and I found that there was really much more high end in it, even though it was played back trough the same converters and via the same system.

I searched for a 'pre-emphasis' function in NERO to check if that was enabled or something, but I couldn't find it...any ideas what the problem could be??
Or suggestions what burning software does NOT mess around with my audio?

Thanks
Old 02-24-2004, 10:47 AM

Default Re: Nero - pre emphasis??

I've used Nero for several years and have never noticed any alteration or colorization.

What may have happened here is that Nero normalized the cut and you are percieving a bump in gain as a change in EQ...

You wouldn't be the first. Happens all the time when comparing mic pre's and such without keeping the listening levels the same.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:50 AM

Quote:
What may have happened here is that Nero normalized the cut and you are percieving a bump in gain as a change in EQ...

I don't think that's the problem because for better comparison I ripped the song, loaded it in to protools (in a new session this time) together with the bounced file (the same version). I did listen to both versions at the same level.

Anyway, if you use Nero as well and don't have this problem, something must be set wrong in Nero over here. Pre-emphasis seemd like a obvious thing to me, nobody knows how or where to turn this on or off?

By the way, I don't want Nero to normalize either...I don't want Nero to do anything else besides burning my music!! Is there anything else I should be aware of??

thnx
Old 02-24-2004, 09:14 PM

Nero does have an EQ setting. I can't find it at the moment but I know it's available when you rip from CD.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:35 PM

Nero has e.q. and other adjustment, I think under Wave Editor, which would come up from the menu under the program files listing.

www.guyfi.com
www.flystudiosmilwaukee.com
Old 02-24-2004, 09:38 PM

I have Nero 5.5.9.14
I have never come across any kind of EQ setting.
There is however, included in this version, a completely separate "Nero Wave Editor" with EQ, but it would be hard to get to that program or add EQ by accident.
I have burned literally hundreds of Cd's with Nero and have never been presented with EQ options, or had any reason to believe any was being added without my consent.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:11 PM

If you are using Nero express - the little check box "normalize audio" is ON BY DEFAULT, you have to manually uncheck this box, every time you burn an audio CD, it nomralizes RMS 0db -

frightening, nasty, this is most likely what is occuring, if you had a good, nice healthy top end, and your mix rolled off, before normalizing this drastically, you bechya you'd have top end out the kahoona.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 02-24-2004, 10:17 PM

Quote:
I have Nero 5.5.9.14
I have never come across any kind of EQ setting.
There is however, included in this version, a completely separate "Nero Wave Editor" with EQ, but it would be hard to get to that program or add EQ by accident.
I have burned literally hundreds of Cd's with Nero and have never been presented with EQ options, or had any reason to believe any was being added without my consent.
Yes, we should indicate which version we are referring to. I'm talking about Nero 6.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:50 PM

Higher gain can lead to all kinds of mis-impressions in comparisons, but Normalizing increases over all level, not EQ.
Normalizing will not give you any more high end than you begin with.
Now, may be Norming with a severe high pass could produce those results... but once again, there are no such EQ options in my version of Nero.
As I said before, there is a Nero Wave editor with EQ, but it is an application separate from the Nero burning program.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Normalizing increases level, not EQ.
0-db RMS normalization (not a peak normaliztion like in PTLE) will definately sonicly change the frequency response of your mix, like maxing an L1 on your master fader, cranking it all the way.... if you've lots of overheaads, top end on the vocals, bright guitars in your mix, and you crank an L1 as far as it will go.

Aside from the distortion, it is also going to appear that someone "cranked the trebble knob" to be simplistic.

Normalize anything to 0db rms and yes.... it does change the eq, by the simple fact that it modifies the amplitude of the file drasticly, Nero uses this type of normalization, which is not the same as "normalizing" something in PT - Sound forge has an RMS Normalize plugin, (as well as peak normalization) it'll do the same thing, squash the livin' hell out of any audio processed - if you take a "boomy guitar" and RMS Normalize to 0db - it's peaks will dominate the spectrum, and it... placed in a mix lower than the un-RMS'd file, will appear considerably brighter.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App