Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 12-07-2012, 10:26 AM

Default Importing Loops into Transfuser question.

Maybe I'm not understanding how Transfuser imports loops for use, but I've run into a bit of a snag and don't understand what is happening.

I have all kinds of royalty free loops on CD/DVDs that come with Computer Music Magazine (and others). Some I really like, so I pop the CD into the PC, find the list from within Transfuser and import and off we go. When I import, it asks me where to put the loop, and I always save it to the same file folder as the project.

But, when I go back to the project later, Transfuser can't find the loops....sometimes...meaning, some of the projects I've done this with have the loops imported that way, but other projects can't find them. This makes no sense to me.

I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that when I import a loop off the CD and save to the project folder, that the loop is actually copied over off the CD and now stored with the project on my hard drive. Am I wrong? The fact that some of the projects have their loops makes believe that I'm right. But that doesn't explain the one's where it can't find the loops.

Anyone have some insights or guidance here?

Old 12-09-2012, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Importing Loops into Transfuser question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Maybe I'm not understanding how Transfuser imports loops for use, but I've run into a bit of a snag and don't understand what is happening.

I have all kinds of royalty free loops on CD/DVDs that come with Computer Music Magazine (and others). Some I really like, so I pop the CD into the PC, find the list from within Transfuser and import and off we go. When I import, it asks me where to put the loop, and I always save it to the same file folder as the project.

But, when I go back to the project later, Transfuser can't find the loops....sometimes...meaning, some of the projects I've done this with have the loops imported that way, but other projects can't find them. This makes no sense to me.

I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that when I import a loop off the CD and save to the project folder, that the loop is actually copied over off the CD and now stored with the project on my hard drive. Am I wrong? The fact that some of the projects have their loops makes believe that I'm right. But that doesn't explain the one's where it can't find the loops.

Anyone have some insights or guidance here?
I found, after a very brief experiment, that you need to save a copy of the session to save the sampler files. This seems to contradict the manual, which states that "Pro Tools 8.0 and higher automatically saves any sampler audio files with the session."

That didn't seems to be the case on my rig… Currently 10.7.5 and 10.3.0 (<--gonna fix this right now)
Old 12-10-2012, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Importing Loops into Transfuser question.

Thanks for the tip. Seems rather odd, though. I mean, when you import the loop off a CD or DVD, the pop window asks you where you want to save it. Logically one would assume that means the loop is being copied over automatically to the session folder and saved along with everything else for that session. Even odder, the problem isn't always the case. Some sessions the imported loops have remained with the session and were there for use when I went back to work on the session more. But for a few others, they seemed to be missing. But I ALWAYS import and save to the session folder...very careful about that. One of the mysteries of PT is where it sends session data sometimes, like the whole thing with re-linking audio files that turn up missing. Drives me nuts!