Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2022, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Destructive Punch File Length

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
Woah! Discontiguous destructive punch zones? My head is spinning. Cool idea. DP stem recording (even on single system mixes) is still an essential part of my workflow.
Yeah it’s different than what we’re used to. It just seems like it should be possible. As long as the system knows which regions are enabled it can plan for it. Maybe I’m oversimplifying it or maybe the way they configured the read/write buffers isn’t easily modified.

FWIW I actually don’t use DP anymore because I got tired of fiddling with it. I’ve been living dangerously and using Destructive record for a few years now. Would probably go back to DP if it was improved.
Old 06-03-2022, 05:44 PM

interesting thread- destructive record is part of my work flow too. One last time to check and fix as well as create the stems at the same time.

I can still make PT crash all day long with it tho.

Just redo the exact same 'punch in' ( not DP ) and bingo I'm looking at the crash reporter.
Old 06-03-2022, 09:26 PM

I don't know if dis-continuous Destructive Punch is possible. It is really a Dubbing Mix feature with stems.

Maybe it is, but I don't like split reels in the same session. Probably because of the days of session corruption, but also when operating at a faster pace, Pro Tools editing, and console mixing there is just too much room that something can happen later in the session.

Rogue curser, finger brush on a key command, accidental automation write to end. Granted these were all things that happened a decade ago, but they did happen.

Also, I think there has to be dedicated hard drive space allotted for the destructive record/punch. As hard drives work, they write data to free space so if there isn't a dedicated file, it has to create a new one.
I remember the old Tascam HHD recorders and we had to record a little bit in front of the start point and a little bit at the end of the start point to create a dedicated space for punching.

So when you punch in, the space on the hard drive is it is recorded is always the same. Its kind of like if it were tape.
You punch or record, previous data is gone.
But your drive space stays the same. You can punch 1000 times on it and your drive space will stay the same.

Its primarily a dubbing feature, but if you want to keep people on their toes, destructive punch will keep the best of the best performances and there won't be anything to go back to.
Just like the days of tape.
Almost every plugin
Old 06-05-2022, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolex1 View Post
Also, I think there has to be dedicated hard drive space allotted for the destructive record/punch. As hard drives work, they write data to free space so if there isn't a dedicated file, it has to create a new one.
I remember the old Tascam HHD recorders and we had to record a little bit in front of the start point and a little bit at the end of the start point to create a dedicated space for punching.

So when you punch in, the space on the hard drive is it is recorded is always the same. Its kind of like if it were tape.
You punch or record, previous data is gone.
But your drive space stays the same. You can punch 1000 times on it and your drive space will stay the same.
Right but that's a pretty trivial thing to do nowadays. That's kind of what I meant when I said you can designate certain clips as such.

The previous generation Fairlight systems (pre Blackmagic) had a "Tape" mode. You could make a time selection on any number of tracks and create destructive tape clips. So on your rerecord tracks it would create a "blank tape" exactly as you described. Just an empty WAV file written to length. Then you could punch in at will. So if I had a 7 segment show I created clips for each segment.