Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2008, 08:18 AM

Default Remove relative trim volume automation?

Hello all,

In PT 7.4 the volume track view automation points show two values. The second value is in brackets with a hollow triangle icon. From what I understand, this second value is the relative volume level? And once the primary trim level gets down below -143 dB and switches into absolute zero this second level continues down another 155 dB.

Is there any way to turn off or remove this second, relative trim automation? I just want each track's volume to be adjustable between -143 to +12 dB (the primary trim levels).

This issue is causing me a world of grief on a project I'm currently working on.

Thanks!

Dual 2.0 G5
PT 7.4 HD3 Accel
OS 10.4.11
1.5 GB RAM
Old 12-04-2008, 03:51 PM

Default Re: Remove relative trim volume automation?

Yes I just noticed this yesterday that it also goes up to (+156db) if you keep cranking it beyond the seemingly upper limit of +12db.

What's really strange is if you do that when you initially click with the trimmer again it gives you a actual level that has that 156 added to it. Do it a couple of times and you can get a level of over 1000db like in this screenshot.

http://www.rdiv.com/screenshots/PT_1400db.jpg
Old 12-04-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greglawrence View Post
[…] This issue is causing me a world of grief on a project I'm currently working on.
Turn off Automation Trim on the tracks that exhibit the unwanted behavior.

Incidentally, today’ “source of grief” will eventually prove to be “just the ticket” to solve some mixing issue (perhaps while toiling on the very mix currently in front of you). Spend some time reading the reference manual’s chapter dedicated to Automation — you’ll be glad you did.

PS: The “hollow triangle icon” is the Greek letter “Delta,” used universally as a symbol for “difference.”

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 12-04-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greglawrence View Post
Hello all,

This issue is causing me a world of grief on a project I'm currently working on.

Thanks!
I am not being sarcastic... but please tell me how this causes a "world of grief'? thanks, sb
Old 12-05-2008, 11:20 AM

I am doing an extremely high amount of volume automation as part of my project. I unknowingly brought down the relative trim level well below the infinite zero point of the primary trim at an earlier point. Now, each time I want to raise the volume on short portion of a track (which already has a lot of automation on it) I have to highlight the portion, click and scroll up, unclick, click and scroll up, unclick, click and scroll up..........to get the relative volume level back up to actual 0 dB.

The automation I'm doing is unusual, I'm sure. And I don't want to select and move individual automation points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Knecht View Post
Turn off Automation Trim on the tracks that exhibit the unwanted behavior.
I'm smack dab in the middle of a facility move - will post back in a few days after I'm up and running again.

Thanks for the help!

Dual 2.0 G5
PT 7.4 HD3 Accel
OS 10.4.11
1.5 GB RAM
Old 09-16-2009, 07:35 PM

Unhappy Re: Remove relative trim volume automation?

What I'm trying to do is somewhat the opposite of greg, but still the same issue. I want to lop off the high values to a certain point and keep the relative attenuation values. But theres no way to chop off the peaks now except manually, or writing all live without the ability to modify with trim-touch. It would be great if I had the option to convert all the out-of-range values to absolute.

Cheers,
Angelo Quaglia