Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-17-2007, 09:55 AM

Default pro tools doesn\'t find audio files

Using Pro Tools v.6.9.1, the session loads but doesn't find a particular audio file that is no longer in the location where it was when last saved. So I choose to manually relink and do a search on the drive where the audio file is now located but pro tools doesn't find the file, even when I search for a match by name only! The file is definitely named exactly the same on the drive as what pro tools wants to find, space for space, character for character.

Older versions would allow you to force the use of a file. I could load in the file to the session as a new audio file but I would loose all my edits. Any ideas of a workaround to keep the work I've done?

Thanks!

Dual 2.0 G5
PT 7.4 HD3 Accel
OS 10.4.11
1.5 GB RAM
Old 04-18-2007, 09:21 PM

Default Re: pro tools doesn\'t find audio files

Protools likes to scatter audio and fade files. Especially if you move your session to different drives. For some reason it doesnt record to the audio folder thats in the session and decides to place it in other hard drives. Always check the disk allocation. You will be amazed at what it does. It doesnt make any sense to me why the software does this. It should always record to the audio folder thats in the session by default and not to other drives no matter if you copy the session elsewhere or not. Its really silly the way PT works with placing audio files. Its great in every way but this.

I cant find the logic in why protools works this way.

For instance. I was working off of a backup on a backup drive. I consolodated some drums. It puts the consolodated drums on a totally different drive then the drive the session is on. Fades too. Makes a new folder. I have to search for the dang thing and for the life of me cant figure out where it went. LOL. Silly.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:26 AM

If I copy a session from one drive to another I will unmount the origianl drive before opening the session to work. Pro Tools will then force the disk allocation to move to the new location.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:24 AM

I suspect you need to look a little deeper, Stanonbass. Although I have had many situations where files are written to unexpected drives, but there has always been a reason. The clue is in your statement "Check the disc allocation". I don't believe it's as random as you are making out.