Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 05-30-2022, 01:16 AM
Quiet Art Ltd.

Default Re: Post Production - where to start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kol12 View Post
Do you mean hacking an already mastered audio book?
No, something like a live talk show type podcast where you can edit out the fluff and make the speakers sound more articulate, or change the meaning of what they are saying. You just need to play with waveforms until you are fully in control of the tools.

WaveRider + Defaulter (now with LKFS)
QuietArt.co.nz

Catchin' SYNC app
Old 06-06-2022, 02:41 AM

Would anybody here have some raw audio they could share in which I could practice editing and mixing? Maybe a podcast, audiobook or something?
Old 06-06-2022, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Would anybody here have some raw audio they could share in which I could practice editing and mixing?
Hi Matt email me and I can reply with 4 uncut voice over files attached. Add any music file to the session and you can practice mixing the cut you make of the VO's with music.
Choose music you think suits the topic of each VO.
Sorry the video clips that go with these clips are client sensitive, so no able to be shared.

Andrew
Old 06-07-2022, 06:50 PM

Music mixing is like wardrobe, hair and makeup.
Post mixing is like plastic surgery!
They are very different animals, so check out the session templates and sort of plugins that are more tailored to post. You'll see the templates (included in ProTools) have extensive routing for the output of stem mixes, which can look confusing at first glance.
Automation as noted is another big area of post workflows so have a good dig into how to preview, capture and write etc.
Old 06-08-2022, 01:56 AM

I found this free audio sample in which the dialogue appears to be intended for a theoretical video game. The recording had a lot of background noise, boomy low end and some sibilance.

This is my first attempt at cleaning up a recording with Izotope RX and I was wondering if anybody would like to take a listen and provide feedback? How is the noise cleanup? Audio levels etc? First link is the original, second my edits.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/5uxxm...ginal.wav/file
https://www.mediafire.com/file/fgveh...eanup.mp3/file
Old 06-08-2022, 02:00 AM

@BobbyDazzler I like the way you put it.
Old 07-06-2022, 05:32 PM

Quote:
I found this free audio sample in which the dialogue appears to be intended for a theoretical video game. The recording had a lot of background noise, boomy low end and some sibilance.

This is my first attempt at cleaning up a recording with Izotope RX and I was wondering if anybody would like to take a listen and provide feedback? How is the noise cleanup? Audio levels etc? First link is the original, second my edits.
The overall integrated loudness drops by 6-7 LU in your edit file. It's a lot quieter, which might be okay depending on what the client wants. In my opinion, this is probably undesirable, and if your role is NOT to "mix", you probably want to end up similar level out as in.

That said, an RX "cleanup" should not make it louder, on the other hand. Making something louder is more overt "mixing" but retaining level and making an audio file "clearer" involves more transparent mixing.

Some of your use of, I am guessing Voice or Spectral De-noise and or Dialogue Isolate, is a bit extreme. The original audio is far from perfect, but the drop in level in your edit comes with less intelligibility for me..
The original had some low frequency noise more than high frequency hissing, so you might not need to filter or de-noise the highs. The "esses" in the original are not very harsh, so you probably don't need any de-essing if you used that.

Removing some of the very low frequency noise, and some de-noising, would be appropriate, but so would manual editing in Pro Tools. (Such as, the noises between words or phrases).

For now, your edit is in two words: too much. Lighten up and if there are idiosyncratic noises, try to treat them individually somehow and rely on lower strength full length de-noise (or whichever module) passes, as an example.

Another example specifically: at 1:06 is a phrase which in your edit has a warbled level experience. Do you hear that? It's like something happened dynamically or too extremely right there. It no longer sounds like a clearly read phrase at one "speech volume". In your edit, the "envelope" sounds with artifacts of too intense processing.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 07-07-2022, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nednednerb View Post
The overall integrated loudness drops by 6-7 LU in your edit file. It's a lot quieter, which might be okay depending on what the client wants. In my opinion, this is probably undesirable, and if your role is NOT to "mix", you probably want to end up similar level out as in.

That said, an RX "cleanup" should not make it louder, on the other hand. Making something louder is more overt "mixing" but retaining level and making an audio file "clearer" involves more transparent mixing.

Some of your use of, I am guessing Voice or Spectral De-noise and or Dialogue Isolate, is a bit extreme. The original audio is far from perfect, but the drop in level in your edit comes with less intelligibility for me..
The original had some low frequency noise more than high frequency hissing, so you might not need to filter or de-noise the highs. The "esses" in the original are not very harsh, so you probably don't need any de-essing if you used that.

Removing some of the very low frequency noise, and some de-noising, would be appropriate, but so would manual editing in Pro Tools. (Such as, the noises between words or phrases).

For now, your edit is in two words: too much. Lighten up and if there are idiosyncratic noises, try to treat them individually somehow and rely on lower strength full length de-noise (or whichever module) passes, as an example.

Another example specifically: at 1:06 is a phrase which in your edit has a warbled level experience. Do you hear that? It's like something happened dynamically or too extremely right there. It no longer sounds like a clearly read phrase at one "speech volume". In your edit, the "envelope" sounds with artifacts of too intense processing.
I guess this sort of feedback is what I'd expect for a very first time go at audio editing mixing and mastering! Thankyou and I will take that onboard. I have learnt quite a lot since I posted that however.. I've learnt more on loudness metering with LUFS, compression/limiting and editing techniques in Pro Tools. Here is another edit I did recently on a fictitious podcast. Would you like to provide feedback on this?

Original podcast: https://www.mediafire.com/file/qmm3z...ginal.mp3/file
My edit: https://www.mediafire.com/file/1w909...dcast.mp3/file
Old 07-07-2022, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I guess this sort of feedback is what I'd expect for a very first time go at audio editing mixing and mastering! Thankyou and I will take that onboard. I have learnt quite a lot since I posted that however.. I've learnt more on loudness metering with LUFS, compression/limiting and editing techniques in Pro Tools. Here is another edit I did recently on a fictitious podcast. Would you like to provide feedback on this?
Hi, that edited file now is louder than the original, but it seems like you mostly used RX, but did not do any manual editing.

At 55s for instance: "Definitely, uhh, so..." - usually when I edit a podcast or narrative flow, I would edit out the "uhhh" and perhaps also the "so...". That's because this is a moment where typically the speaker was thinking of what to say for a second, was being recorded, and said "uhh, soo" simply to segue into the next thought or start off. The uhh, so... would likely sound "less professional" to the average audio professional at least. Leaving these extra words and transitions in is "more natural" but when you clean up the uhhs and it's otherwise left "sounding natural", that's a much better finished product.

Also, in the 8 LUFS increase in your edit (it is more loudness standard now), you also brought up the breath noises. Again, in music or some audio, a little breath can be very very natural. However, in dialogue, the closeness of the microphone tends to exaggerate the breaths in a recording compared to what our mouths and ears would "notice" in person in the air at a normal speaking distance. Therefore, you might experiment with removing "extra" noises that are off script/ off topic just to get good at sewing together the remaining audio so there are no sudden absolute silence and you keep some nice ambience.

To do the breath and ummm removal, I would on a good day start that process in Pro Tools, doing a simple "edit" where I chop out what I don't want, fill the ambience, crossfade everything nicely (in PT I use a combo of manual fades and batch auto fades), basically to make it flow right. THEN I take it into RX to make it sweeter. Sometimes a workflow makes sense to RX first, but usually I like to "manual edit" first off, to get the desired arrangement of words and just what I want included. If I can manually edit out a noise without much fuss, I'd usually do that instead of RX.

It's actually quite amazing what you can do with manual editing. Instead of sending audio back for rerecording, I have at times chopped out the correct syllable or even couple letters sound from another place in the audio, and sewn it into place to make a correction. That's getting advanced, but an idea of what a "good" editor might be doing behind the scenes.

Ultimately, this version of your edit sounds a bit "mixed" to my ears, but most of the noise and distracting extra words are still there.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 07-09-2022, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nednednerb View Post
Hi, that edited file now is louder than the original, but it seems like you mostly used RX, but did not do any manual editing.

At 55s for instance: "Definitely, uhh, so..." - usually when I edit a podcast or narrative flow, I would edit out the "uhhh" and perhaps also the "so...". That's because this is a moment where typically the speaker was thinking of what to say for a second, was being recorded, and said "uhh, soo" simply to segue into the next thought or start off. The uhh, so... would likely sound "less professional" to the average audio professional at least. Leaving these extra words and transitions in is "more natural" but when you clean up the uhhs and it's otherwise left "sounding natural", that's a much better finished product.

Also, in the 8 LUFS increase in your edit (it is more loudness standard now), you also brought up the breath noises. Again, in music or some audio, a little breath can be very very natural. However, in dialogue, the closeness of the microphone tends to exaggerate the breaths in a recording compared to what our mouths and ears would "notice" in person in the air at a normal speaking distance. Therefore, you might experiment with removing "extra" noises that are off script/ off topic just to get good at sewing together the remaining audio so there are no sudden absolute silence and you keep some nice ambience.

To do the breath and ummm removal, I would on a good day start that process in Pro Tools, doing a simple "edit" where I chop out what I don't want, fill the ambience, crossfade everything nicely (in PT I use a combo of manual fades and batch auto fades), basically to make it flow right. THEN I take it into RX to make it sweeter. Sometimes a workflow makes sense to RX first, but usually I like to "manual edit" first off, to get the desired arrangement of words and just what I want included. If I can manually edit out a noise without much fuss, I'd usually do that instead of RX.

It's actually quite amazing what you can do with manual editing. Instead of sending audio back for rerecording, I have at times chopped out the correct syllable or even couple letters sound from another place in the audio, and sewn it into place to make a correction. That's getting advanced, but an idea of what a "good" editor might be doing behind the scenes.

Ultimately, this version of your edit sounds a bit "mixed" to my ears, but most of the noise and distracting extra words are still there.
I used very little RX in this and it actually was mostly manual editing... Have a look at my Pro Tools session in this screenshot: https://www.mediafire.com/view/edsgz...final.jpg/file All of the line breaks are where I made cuts. I actually edited out a lot of um and ah's... But yes I did overlook that one where Kyle starts speaking.

The reason I increased the loudness was because it's my understanding that podcasts should meet a loudness standard of -18/-16 LUFS. The original audio measured around -30 LUFS...

If the audio has to be boosted to meet a loudness standard won't the increase in breath noises be inevitable? If breaths cannot be edited out manually should they be attenuated in RX?

Last edited by kol12; 07-09-2022 at 04:15 AM.