Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 03-29-2008, 05:23 PM

Default Still Using Sound Designer 2

Hi:
I edited 35 classical music CDs with Sound Designer 2 and I am afraid of the day when the old computer will stop functioning.

I have a question: I love the horizontal regions display in the play list mode that Sound Designer 2 provided. Does anyone knows if this way of editing was completely abandoned or there is now an audio two track editing system that still uses this horizontal display?

I tried many PC based editors but using them is always more complicated and tedious then the Sound Designer 2.

All of them seems to me are using vertical play-lists and it is difficult to go back and forth to the regions and tweak them while in Sound Designer 2 it was very easy.

Is Pro Tools a continuation of Sound Designer 2 or a completely different system? as far as audio editing is concerned.
I will appreciate any input, clarification and suggestions.
Thanks,
Mordecai
Old 05-15-2008, 03:48 AM

Default Re: Still Using Sound Designer 2

IMO SD2 is still the best 2 track editor.

Agreed on the plist implementation.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:44 PM

pro tools is a different beast. i'm hanging onto my quicksilver g4 cause it runs both os9 for sdii and osx for pt. at least those old computers are cheap if you ever need to replace it.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:56 PM

I know SD 2.82 runs on 9.04 with an AM3
but does it run on OS 9.1 or 9.2.1 or 9.2.2 ?

What Digi hardware are you running SD and PT on?
Old 02-22-2009, 07:57 PM

Cool Re: Still Using Sound Designer 2

Don't know if this helps, but I had gone to Peak after SDII was discontinued. Seems pretty similar.

It is what it is...

ScrewMakerMusic
Old 05-10-2012, 07:11 PM

i hear you-
I still use sd 2 to edit choral cd's for rutgers newark-
im crossing my fingers that my mac 8100av with g3 emulator will never die-

still using studio 5 lx for my midi, studio and live patches

it sucks that all of this is not supported- the 5lx is the best midi patcher ever made-

have a question in sd 2-
when recording to it, I mistakingly made left channel right and right channel left-
is there an easy way to correct this other than copying and pasting each channel to a new file?
i would appreciate any help on this, because the project is important and a paying gig
Frank-
[email protected]
Old 05-12-2012, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synths View Post
i hear you-
I still use sd 2 to edit choral cd's for rutgers newark-
im crossing my fingers that my mac 8100av with g3 emulator will never die-

still using studio 5 lx for my midi, studio and live patches

it sucks that all of this is not supported- the 5lx is the best midi patcher ever made-

have a question in sd 2-
when recording to it, I mistakingly made left channel right and right channel left-
is there an easy way to correct this other than copying and pasting each channel to a new file?
i would appreciate any help on this, because the project is important and a paying gig
Frank-
[email protected]
I still use SoundDesigner II 2.8.3 (= the latest version) with an AudioMedia III PCI card on a PPC Dual G4 1.25 GHz with Mac OS 9.2.2.

In only use SoundDesigner II for the editing of classical music recorded with a matched stereo pair of microphones (AB Stereo or XY Stereo). Why? Because in the fade window you can nudge the end of the first region and/or the beginning of the second region of the crossfade and preview the changes it makes. This gives you the possibility to create 100% phase-coherent crossfades without any audible artefacts. Sometimes nudging the end of the first region and/or the beginning of the second region by a few samples can make a crossfade sound perfect. SoundDesigner II is the only DAW software that is able to do this, trust me, I tried them all...

It is such a shame that Digidesign did not implement this fade window in Pro Tools, I asked them a zillion times to do it, but it did never happen. Half of the time they did not even understand why this nudging of the regions in the fade window was of such importance for editing 2-track based phase-coherent classical music recordings. A few times I did get the straight answer that 2 track classical music was of absolutely no importance to them. One time Digidesign told me they actually did not own the Sounddesigner Software and they did not wanted to pay a license fee (unlimited in time) to the original programmer to be able to implement the Sounddesigner fade window in Pro Tools.

About your question making the left channel right and the right channel left, this is the easiest way to do it:

- close the SoundDesigner II session
- go to your audio folder and find the 2 SDII split-stereo audio files that end with .L and .R
- name change the .L by .A
- name change the .R by .B
- name change the .A by .R
- name change the .B by .L
- open Sounddesigner II session and the L+R will be reversed

Mac Pro 2019 - 3.2GHz 16-core - 96GB RAM - macOS 14.4.1 - PT HDX3 - Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3.1 - Avid HD I/O 16x16 (x2) - Avid HD I/O 16x16 Digital - Digidesign 192 I/O - Digidesign 192D I/O (x3) - Avid SYNC HD - Apogee Big Ben - Apogee Rosetta 200 - Avid S3 - Slate RAVEN MTi2 (x2) - iConnectivity mioXL (x4) - Genelec ‘The Ones’ 9.1.6 Dolby Atmos Music monitoring (AES/EBU) with 8341A (x5) + 8331A (x10) + 7360A (x2) + 9301B - Almost all available AAX-DSP plug-ins
Old 06-01-2012, 09:31 AM

Default Still (missing) Sound Designer 2's fab loop/playlist function

Really was happy to find this thread.
Wondering if anybody has any new news about
getting back that great feature,
or finding it, or something similarly wonderful enough,
in some other program.

in my case, it was also for 2-track editing,
and mostly of live/vocal music,

but the fine-tuning of the loop lengths and crossfade in and out points
was fantastic, for sure.

vive la musique,

david hykes
Old 11-27-2012, 12:57 PM

Hi-

I hope one of you can help me out. I am trying to pass on a beloved SD II system running in an old Apple IIfx, but I can't find the umbilical with all the I/O connections.

Ideally I would like to get one to replace it, but I would be happy with just the pin out & connections it contained. I have not used it in some years, but the darn thing booted up when I tried it!

Thanks

-Tom Bray
Old 12-03-2012, 01:30 PM

Hi Tom,

I'm not sure what you exactly mean. SDII is software of course, you are talking about a cable thing right? Which one?

BTW: Still using SDII as well because of my Kurzweil K250, as there is a little proggy called Sounddesigner Convert. So you are able to load in edited samples in your K250 and vice versa. Pretty cool! Has taken me hard recherché to "collect" some cool plugins for SDII, like MDT, JVP, QXpander, Eternal Machine and the Waves stuff of course. As for many floppies from those days there are the restrictions of key authorization and copy protection. As these floppies are rather old now and suffer from the usual degrading, and as also hard disks won`t live forever users like you and me will really have a problem in future. Some important part of music production history would be gone forever.
But there is hope! The answer could be Kryoflux. So far it offers not all possibilities. Until that: Commodore Amiga 4000!