Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 12-04-2021, 08:45 AM

Default Re: horrible quality input sound digi 002 rack

But wait! There's MORE Many acoustic guitar pickups are piezo and those bring their own set of issues, such as; very low output and very thin or crappy sound. Knowing the exact pickup might help this discussion. The fact that you are on a tight budget means that you may be trying make do with stuff that simply won't deliver what you want. It might be worth investing in a direct box that is designed specifically for piezo-equipped guitars, but a decent microphone is almost always going to deliver a much better sound.

Yes, there is a lot to learn with digital recording, so be patient and keep at it. You don't NEED Pro Tools as most of the available programs are very capable(especially if all you want to do is make your own music).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-04-2021, 09:02 AM

I’m sorry I’m not an expert, that’s why I’m here…

I never said volume is too low, only that sound is horrible and I don’t/didn’t know why…
Old 12-04-2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remko View Post
I’m sorry I’m not an expert, that’s why I’m here…

I never said volume is too low, only that sound is horrible and I don’t/didn’t know why…
Do you still have a problem with the 002 or not? DUC is not a tutorial service for getting started or a support forum for Cakewalk, but if you have a specific problem and can actually explain it you will usually get help here.

All you have said is “problem is the audio quality, it's really horrible, I can barely hear I'm playing guitar. ”. Most people are going to interpret “barely hear” as being too quiet. Nobody here has a clue what you mean by “horrible”.
Old 12-05-2021, 02:11 PM

And you have not answered the question about the pickup. This stuff matters and we would not ask if it didn't. And, as I already said, sticking a mic in front of the guitar is likely to produce a much better sound than ANY pickup through almost ANY direct box(which is why nobody records acoustic guitar with a pickup)

So, here is how to get a good acoustic recording:
1-a decent guitar with good strings.
2-in a decent sounding room(without reflections back into the mic). We can give advice on acoustic treatments on a budget if you need that).
3-with a decent microphone in a good position(often 10" away at the neck/body joint). A lowly SM57 can do okay, but a small condenser would be better. Put on your headphones, set a good level and move the mic around to find where it sounds the best.
4-thru a decent preamp(the preamps on the 002 are adequate for a novice, but as your skills improve, so should your preamp and mic.
5-played by a decent player(that's you).
6-embellished with a little EQ and compression. Try dipping a bit at 400Hz and a smaller dip at 1.6Khz(seems to work quite often for me)
7-and add just a touch of reverb/ambience(faster song=shorter reverb).
8-make all these EQ/compression/reverb choices while listening to decent speakers(its tough to make good mix decisions if you are not hearing accurate sound).

Sorry, but notice that "pickup" and "DI" are not on the list At this point, another important question is; do you have a microphone and does that sound okay on your guitar, or on your voice?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave