Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2010, 11:20 PM

Default Control 24 wackiness, random noises, all lights...

So I have recently had the joy of taking over a friends studio while he is away. He warned me that his control 24 was wacky and that he has had to replace the power supply several times and he even has an extra waiting for when another power supply goes out! Is this really the only solution? It is pretty much unusable - routinely the all the LEDs will just light up and peg and the board is totally unresponsive. Then after a while it will return to normal. It does this about every 5 minutes or so. My favorite thing it does is randomly shoots out an explosive pop through the monitoring system and then is again unresponsive for a while. When this happens it sounds like a gunshot going off. Real fun! So any ideas? Is this board just a lost cause. Sorry for the long post. But man after just using my 002 rack and mousing, getting to work on an HD system with a giant controller seems like it should be a dream, but alas I just want to toss the control 24 and get a monitor controler of some sort. The studio already has amazing preamps and does not need the built in preamps.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:29 AM

Default Re: Control 24 wackiness, random noises, all lights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Fu View Post
So I have recently had the joy of taking over a friends studio while he is away. He warned me that his control 24 was wacky and that he has had to replace the power supply several times and he even has an extra waiting for when another power supply goes out! Is this really the only solution? It is pretty much unusable - routinely the all the LEDs will just light up and peg and the board is totally unresponsive. Then after a while it will return to normal. It does this about every 5 minutes or so. My favorite thing it does is randomly shoots out an explosive pop through the monitoring system and then is again unresponsive for a while. When this happens it sounds like a gunshot going off. Real fun! So any ideas? Is this board just a lost cause. Sorry for the long post. But man after just using my 002 rack and mousing, getting to work on an HD system with a giant controller seems like it should be a dream, but alas I just want to toss the control 24 and get a monitor controler of some sort. The studio already has amazing preamps and does not need the built in preamps.
Hi,

The power supply is either whack or the connections to and from it are not make good connectivity!! It needs servicing, So don't use it as it might damage your speakers.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.