Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 06:01 AM

Default Sync I/O TC output reflecting timeline position

Hi,

The Sync I/O TC output (either MTC or LTC) seems to only refect the ProTools timeline while it is rolling. I would like it to reflect the timeline ALWAYS. For example, then you click a certain point on the timeline.

The current behaviour is that clicking on the timeline does nothing to the Sync I/O, it remains at the last position during playback. Is there anyway to alter this?

I have a bunch of gear in the studio that chases the PT rig, I would like the gear to 'spot' to the location when I click on the timeline, or enter a timcod value manually, for example.

Is this possible?

Thanks, James.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:11 AM

Default Re: Sync I/O TC output reflecting timeline position

What he said plus the TC-out (incl. MTC) should reflect when PT loops the playback.

Thanks,

frank.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:00 AM

It is possible if you use 9 pin via Machine Control.

j mcd
Old 02-14-2007, 08:15 AM

Quote:
It is possible if you use 9 pin via Machine Control.
Hi, I have a TT007 which does all manner of sync type things including 9 pin, and I have the machine control license for PT.

Bear in mind that I am not familiar with 9 pin or with the TT007, if I hook up 9 pin out of my Sync I/O into my TT007, should I be able to get the TT007 to output LTC or MTC that reflects mt PT timeline if I 'spot' the cursor as well as if I hit play?

Thanks, James.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:33 AM

Hey,
I'n not sure of your situation but for example.. If you are controlling a digi beta via 9 pin, in the syncronisation pref window you can select for the machine to cue to insertion point which means anywhere you click on the timeline the digibeta will move to that position.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:09 AM

Quote:
If you are controlling a digi beta via 9 pin, in the syncronisation pref window you can select for the machine to cue to insertion point which means anywhere you click on the timeline the digibeta will move to that position.
Yeah, that's the kind of thing I want. I just want to get an MTC or LTC output that jumps to the right point so my desk automation works well with Pro Tools.

Currently I am having problems with the 9 pin, PT wont let me get past the 'enable' stage with an error box about 'not being able to communicate with the serial device'.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:42 AM

Quote:

Currently I am having problems with the 9 pin, PT wont let me get past the 'enable' stage with an error box about 'not being able to communicate with the serial device'.
Odd as it may seem, it's better (recommended? er... required?) to use a USB to serial adapter (make SURE to get the one approved by Digi) and connect to your 9 pin device that way.

I've had it hooked up so long, I can't even remember the why of it all.

j mcd
Old 02-14-2007, 04:13 PM

OK, I am slowly realising that out of the two 9 pin options, I was trying the wrong one. This also means that I need the aforementioned USB-serial adapter. One wonders why there are two 9 pin connectors on my Sync I/O that don't seem to work with my other 9 pin gear....

Now, regarding the "Machine follows Edit/Insertion Scrub" checkbox, why doesn't this seem to do what I want it to do with my LTC or MTC outputs?
Old 02-14-2007, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Sync I/O TC output reflecting timeline positio

Quote:
Now, regarding the "Machine follows Edit/Insertion Scrub" checkbox, why doesn't this seem to do what I want it to do with my LTC or MTC outputs?
Probably because machines are expected to be connected via RS-422, not LTC or MTC. If you read the SYNC I/O guide, I think you will find a setting where you can change what is echoed out the MTC port on the SYNC I/O. I believe you can set it to echo your current session location. Then you can route the MTC out of the SYNC I/O into your console.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Sync I/O TC output reflecting timeline positio

Quote:
If you read the SYNC I/O guide, I think you will find a setting where you can change what is echoed out the MTC port on the SYNC I/O. I believe you can set it to echo your current session location. Then you can route the MTC out of the SYNC I/O into your console.
This is what I want. I searched the Sync I/O guide for every instance of 'MTC' and could not find the setting you suggested. The only thing that looks related is the 'Idle MTC output'. But this states that this will only output the number on the front of the box, which is not updated as you select points on the timeline in Pro Tools.