Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2015, 03:00 AM

Default Re: S3L + Motu monitor 8

hmm that could be it. motu supports avb to Mac only on Yosemite
Old 03-20-2015, 03:08 AM

Okey But the problem isn't between the computer and monitor 8. That workes both bit cat/AVB and usb. The problem is when connected to the avid boxes and try to feed the monitor 8 via that AVB stream.

I also got a reply from Motu saying that they are working on an firmware upgrade to be release probably during the fall but he said that you can try the switch in between but he didn't thought it would help as the problem is in the firmware of the monitor 8.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:13 AM

Are you using MOTU's AVB switch? Any ethernet switch used with AVB must be compliant with IEEE 802.1Qav and three other IEEE standards required for AVB functionality. A plain ethernet switch will distort (or worse) when used with AVB.

Do you get distortion when you insert a MOTU switch into your AVB network without any other MOTU device? Maybe the MOTU switch is bad (consistent with the Monitor 8 working fine with an X-over cable).
ASRock X99 OC Formula mobo, Win 8.1 x64, PT HD 12.1, i7-5960X CPU, 32GB G.Skill 2133 RAM, Intel 750 PCIe SSD boot drive, ASRock TB2 AIC, Sonnet Tech III-D with 2 HDX cards on TB2, Omni, HD I/O, S3, Artist Transport, SSDs and spinners, AMD HD 7990 GPUs, 2 HP ZR30w panels on DP.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:19 AM

Didn't use any switch at all at first but have got Motus switch now but haven't got the time to try it yet. Get back when I do that.
Old 06-06-2015, 02:46 PM

I recently purchased a Monitor 8, anticipating an AVB firmware fix from MOTU.

In an attempt to test the system, I upgraded:
OSX Mavericks to Yosemite
Pro Tools to 11.3.1
EuControl to 3.2.2
(the S3 firmware was also automatically upgraded by EuControl update)

As fredrikzon stated, the Monitor 8 could see the Avid hardware. However, I was unable to synch the MOTU clock to any external AVB stream.

I did not attempt to test the Monitor 8 while the S3L was in Live Mode (a mistake in hindsight). Instead, I used it in Studio Mode, hoping to send audio directly from Pro Tools via AVB. Despite my best efforts, I was unable to pass any audio into the Monitor 8.

Testing was put on hold for this weekend's events.

Friday night, I discovered that Pro Tools is incapable of recording audio from the SL3-X system if running OSX Mavericks. Not a fun realization to have mid-event. Thankfully, there were no obligations to record, so no harm done. After the gig, I worked through the night, re-installing over a freshly wiped hard drive.

The system is rolled back and I'll be heading to tonight's event early to fix any unsolved issues.

Monitor 8 testing will resume shortly, and the analog inputs will be used should the need arise. In the meantime, I'll be awaiting MOTU's firmware fix, and will report back if any discoveries are made.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:59 AM

so nooooow avid came with an update for the s3l! including support for Yosemite aso. anyone tried with an motu avb device again? ;-)
Old 07-24-2015, 10:32 PM

Has anyone been successful with the S3L and Motu Monitor 8 yet using the Motu AVB Switch?
Old 08-16-2015, 08:39 AM

He Guys,

I recently bought an Motu monitor 8 and the AVB switch for an upcoming tour.
I bought it after I contacted Motu about the new soft and firmware update they did on 04-08-2015. They told me they are able to send audio between the 2 devices and have solved the problem with "claiming" the AVB network.
Before the update it was only possible to use either the S3L with the network or the Motu.

After working out how to connect things I can have both the Motu and the E3 in the system and it works. The E3 is seen in the Motu web app and the S3L thinks there is a Protools computer present on the B network port on the S3.
All and all I was very happy with getting 8 changes of AVB in to the system!
That’s were the limit is at the moment... The guys at Motu work in 8 channel streams on the AVB network and Avid in 2 streams of 32 channels if I’m not mistaken. I really would like to encourage everyone to start testing the system and help get the AVB network and the integration between the 2 companies to the next level. I’m really looking forward to options I can think of when this works seamless.
I have to say thanx the guys at Motu support they have been very helpful!
For me the 8 channels is not much use, I have to be able to route 32 mic inputs in to the monitor 8 to get it to work for the upcoming tour
so its waiting till the guys at support wake up Monday morning and find my emails in there mailbox.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:03 AM

that sound gooood!
Old 08-31-2015, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiker View Post

After working out how to connect things I can have both the Motu and the E3 in the system and it works. The E3 is seen in the Motu web app and the S3L thinks there is a Protools computer present on the B network port on the S3.

All and all I was very happy with getting 8 changes of AVB in to the system!

Would you mind sharing your process of setting up and configuring the devices? I now have an AVB switch, but still haven't had much luck getting these two systems to cooperate with one another.