Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 01-11-2011, 06:51 AM

Default shortcut: to original time stamp?

Hi there,

is there any shortcut to quickly select "move region to original time stamp" in the spot dialogue? Or even without switching to spot-mode?

Couldn't find it neither in PT Shortcuts Guide nor in this forum.

System: PT HD8 on Mac 10.5.8

Thanks!
p4
Old 01-19-2011, 08:58 PM

Default Re: shortcut: to original time stamp?

auto-spot in spot mode
it's under options drop-down

my idea for making it easier
http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...ock/12533-3779

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 03-14-2022, 02:48 AM

Old thread, but first relevant result via Google, so responding to say that this doesn't actually work. After bouncing numerous clips to disk and importing them, I still need to click the "original timestamp" button every time I drag a clip from the list. By default, autospot makes them all jump to the end of the project, even in the same project they were bounced to disk from.

Why, after all these years, spotting to original timestamp *still* isn't the default behavior, or even a configurable option to set it as the default behavior, or even a shortcut option, is beyond rational understanding. It's far too frustrating and time-consuming to import bounced audio (especially multiple clips at once) to its original position on the timeline.

I've recently had to go back to using Pro Tools after a few years with REAPER. And the more I use Pro Tools again, the more I'm glad I learned to use REAPER.

Last edited by levelaudio; 06-19-2022 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-14-2022, 08:42 AM

"Auto spot" is not to move to time stamps.
It's part of field recorder workflow. It requires a positional clock and isn't meant for this at all.

Spot mode is the only way to do what you want (and a lot of people have wanted.) Stupidly, Media Composer actually has what we want. (I've had to explain to Picture Editors they can spot everything in two clicks -- something we can't do.)
Old 06-19-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by levelaudio View Post
After bouncing numerous clips to disk, and importing them, I'm still stuck needing to click the stupid "original timestamp" button every damn time I drag a clip from the list.
In fact, if it's a matter of a few clicks, and it just bores you, but the functionality is totally provided by the software, this is a prime opportunity to learn enough about scripting/shortcut type workflow in your OS.

Precisely, when you need to do something specific again, you could use your own keyboard shortcut and it might be able to do exactly the boring clicks that speeding up would be acceptable as part of your workflow.

I rarely have need to spot to original timestamp, but when I do, I feel it's just a few clicks, it doesn't seem daunting at all, but if I did it 20 times a 2 hr session, I might want to create a shortcut.

Software is hard to design with EVERY workflow in mind. Pro Tools is fairly complex and does accommodate many workflows. A little scripting and shortcuts go a long way. I have a 4 button mouse that can do "chords" with pressing two of the four simultaneously. Can also use modifiers, so Shift+ Mouse Button 3 is different than Option+ same. I don't even start to think "Pro Tools should make THIS default." It's just part of my own setup to get to certain features very quick.
Old 06-20-2022, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nednednerb View Post
Software is hard to design with EVERY workflow in mind. Pro Tools is fairly complex and does accommodate many workflows. A little scripting and shortcuts go a long way. I have a 4 button mouse that can do "chords" with pressing two of the four simultaneously. Can also use modifiers, so Shift+ Mouse Button 3 is different than Option+ same. I don't even start to think "Pro Tools should make THIS default." It's just part of my own setup to get to certain features very quick.
I don't think that's a good excuse in this case. This is VERY basic behavior that any DAW with post-production features should have. As BScout pointed out Avid's own Media Composer can do it easier than PT.
Old 06-20-2022, 09:18 AM

As I implied, it is VERY basic to tap 2-3 times.. it's just you want 1-2 taps.

SO, making your own shortcut in about 10 min would save a little lot of time. It would be VERY basic, even.

The software cannot do everything, but with a little customization, you can!

Not sorry for giving you valid advice you just didn't want to hear. In

The ability to make my own shortcuts helps ME, anyway...

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 06-20-2022, 09:29 AM

https://youtu.be/upPbW4p2aMM

This is not "very basic" functionality, but very close to what you want. Just need to make the script do what you want.

I was not trying to be dismissive or facetious.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 07-10-2022, 08:05 PM

thats a cool script.
Im sure Soundflow could do something like this as well?

Im waiting for a lull in the action to dive in and start scripting a bunch of repeated PT tasks that are missing shortcuts.

Sean McDonald
Red Medicine Recording LLC
Sofa King Music Services
http://www.seanmcdonald.com
Old 07-11-2022, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Media Composer actually has what we want. (I've had to explain to Picture Editors they can spot everything in two clicks -- something we can't do.)
Picture editor here - can you explain the two clicks on MC please? ('AutoSpot' is not something I need to do much - I'm guessing it's probably AutoSequence or maybe group clips then overwrite, but be interested in any alternatives).

Looking at that YouTube video using AppleScript I can absolutely see how useful it would be to some ProTools folks.