Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2006, 05:00 PM

Default Pro Tools unexpectedly quits on startup

My Pro tools HD 6.9.2 on tiger worked perfectly yesterday. Today it won´t start up. I only get Pro Tools unexpectedly quit window. I have tried all the trouble shooting steps. It works to create a new account and start it up from there. But there I don´t have my Melodyne and stuff. So what´s the deal ? Why does it suddenly behave like this ?

A little more info:
I recently got a new computer G5 dual 2.0. Everything has worked very well. Today my AutoTune demo time was over. I also decided to install Kontakt and DUY bundle that I own on the computer. I have trashed them but still Pro Tools won´t start up for me. I got the PT 6.9.3 update but still the same headache.

Kalli
Old 06-29-2006, 06:11 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools unexpectedly quits on startup

Quote:
It works to create a new account and start it up from there. But there I don´t have my Melodyne and stuff. So what´s the deal ?
Something in the account that it will not start up from is the problem. Or in other words, your system isn't completely destroyed. You don't have to reinstall OS X to get it working at all, as you have already discovered.

Did you install any software between the last time it worked and the first time it did not? Surprisingly, even software that you drag-and-drop to install can cause issues (I am seeing such installs cause issues on our new HD|2 systems).

As to what is precisely causing your problem, its hard to say. It is a setting or file specific to the user account in question. Perhaps a utility such as Onyx or Preferential Treatment may aid in resolving the issue.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:26 AM

Thanks Jonathan.

As I mentioned before I did install Kontakt. First I had to install Kontakt 1.5 and then my 2.0 updater. That´s my main suspect for now. I trashed it last night from the plug in folder and the plist file from the preferences folder but that doesn't seem to do the trick. Is it possible that Kontakt changed anything causing the ProTools not to start up ?

Using protools from the new account works like a charm. However, I hesitate to install Kontakt again because of those issues.

Kalli
Old 06-30-2006, 01:40 AM

Did you check the hard drive permissions? I have been having problems with my 002/laptop system because the system seems to reset the permissions at times (perhaps during or after a new install) and Pro Tools is finicky......
Old 06-30-2006, 01:49 AM

A couple of suggestions.

You can look at the crash log. It will be in: Users/<user name>/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/<someappname.log>

Open that up and look for:

"Thread X Crashed" where x is some thread number. Look on the next few lines below that and you'll see something like:

0 com.blah.blah
1 lib.system.something
2 com.blah.blah

This is where Pro Tools is crashing, it might give you an indication of what is causing problems. Look down the numbered list, see if any plugins or what not are listed. If so remove them.

If that doesn't provide any clues, you can always try reinstalling your software one piece at a time on the working account, launching PT, then installing another piece. Tedious I know...but...
Old 06-30-2006, 05:41 AM

Thanks guys.

It seems that my G5 has updated the Tiger all by itself. So propably Os X 4.6 is giving me hard times. Anyway, to get on with my work I´ve decided to use this new account to run ProTools since that´s an option. Still if anyone has a solution I would be glad to hear it. I plan on upgrading to PT7 in a near future but since I´m in a middle of something I´ll wait a little more..

Kalli