Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-15-2004, 08:49 PM

Default Best way to record Acoustic drums..

Can any experienced Pro tools user fill me in on the best way to record them? It doesn't seem like you can mic every drum 'Cause the Mbox only has 2 mic ports. So should I just use a boom mic? Any help would be appreciated
Old 03-15-2004, 09:11 PM

Default Re: Best way to record Acoustic drums..

Quote:
Can any experienced Pro tools user fill me in on the best way to record them? It doesn't seem like you can mic every drum 'Cause the Mbox only has 2 mic ports. So should I just use a boom mic? Any help would be appreciated
If you 'had' to use 2 microphones I would probably put a dynamic on the kick drum and a condensor as a room mic at least 6 feet away from the kit (if you can). You can also buy a small mixer and create a submix of the drums into two tracks.

A web site I found posted somewhere on here at DUC that has been very helpful to me is:

Record Drums

Hope this helps!
Old 03-15-2004, 09:36 PM

have u actually tried there Overhead technique on there?
it makes a lot of sense but i was wondering how good
it actually works...

i am starting a recording on Thursday and i want to try this technique out
i hope it works out good
Old 03-15-2004, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:
If you 'had' to use 2 microphones I would probably put a dynamic on the kick drum and a condensor as a room mic at least 6 feet away from the kit (if you can). You can also buy a small mixer and create a submix of the drums into two tracks.

A web site I found posted somewhere on here at DUC that has been very helpful to me is:

Record Drums

Hope this helps!
yea thanks man im actually going to guitar center tommorow and depending on how much they cost im not only limited to two mics. But thts good info thanks alot But what would be the point of buying a mixer and making two tracks?
Old 03-15-2004, 09:47 PM

While I track many mics on a kit, I foten use only one or two, those being a room mic (#1) and a kick mic. the mics fo choice are a Rode NTK for the room and a Shure Beta 52 for the kick. Place the room mic 6-8 feet in front of the kit, about chest high to the player. You'll be amazed at what you can get in a decent room with a decent kit.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:49 PM

What are overheads used for? Recording the whole drumset or what?
Old 03-16-2004, 02:30 AM

I usually only bother with 4 mics when doing drums.

2 Overheads, Kick and Snare. I haven't tried Where's method - might give it a go. I like my L/R panned overheads so much tho! Its important to note that overheads don't pick up the kick.

regarding creating a 2 track drum submix with a desk: The point is - you can get a great sounding mix on 2 tracks - you just have to commit to your levels. You gotta remember: The recording world didn't always have a bazzilion tracks to work with. Once apon time 4 tracks was a revolution.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:53 AM

You can always submix the drums through a mixer, and then run a stereo out from the mixer to the Mbox's two ins. This would give you a lot more flexibility. Any small mixer like the Mackie 1202VLZ will do.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:08 AM

i use the overhead technique on that link more than any other technique. it gives a pretty good stereo image of the kit. Some techniques sound a little more natural though....

-ev
Old 03-16-2004, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Its important to note that overheads don't pick up the kick.
they do fi you use the right mics and position. It is of course material dependant too, but I've done many jazz recordings with only overheads or room mics that had more than enough kick drum.