Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 07-12-2022, 10:13 PM

Default Could not save Assertion error - Pro Tools can't save a session or preferences

I'm usually pretty good at solving technical problems. But I'm stuck on this one. Mac Studio Ultra 13,2 128GB RAM, macOS 12.4, Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.6.

"Could not save "" because Assertion in "/Users/autobld/gitlabci/PT/release/2022/r2/ProTools/NewFileLibs/Sys/Sys_Volume.cpp", line 226.

(Use the Copy button to copy this message to the clipboard.) while translating Disk Allocation Settings

Pro Tools can open existing sessions, but can't save Preferences and also can't Save or Save as an open session. I have a support ticket with Avid. Here are the things I've tried:

-trashed prefs
-trashed Workspace files
-uninstalled/reinstalled PT
-System Prefs changed (Full Disk Access/Microphone)
-Safe Mode
-unplugged all devices and rebooted
-tried new user account
-tried creating a session on the boot drive instead of external drive
-set permissions to Read/Write on home folder and external drive
-reinstalled macOS
-reinstalled PT again
-removed/added Full Disk Access and Microphone
-cleared “Recent Items” menu
-deleted Pro Tools Aggregate device in Audio/MIDI Setup
-trashed prefs
-trashed Workspace files
-reinstalled PT again from Avid Link this time
*Disable Filevault
*Check drive's Sharing Permissions, make sure that Read and Write is enable for all, including apply to enclosed item. Right click>Get info> Sharing and Permissions.
*Allow iLok License Manager and Pro Tools to control your Computer in System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy tab, on the left column, choose Accessibility, check or add both apps.
*Allow iLok License Manager and Pro Tools to have Full Disc access in System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy tab, on the left column, choose Full Disc Access, check or add both apps.
*Delete Pro Tools Databases in MacHD>Users>Shared>Pro Tools. Delete all the files inside the Pro Tools folder.
*Check Hard Drive's file formatting, Case sensitive volume formatting is not supported.

Thanks in advance for help.

Last edited by reichman; 07-12-2022 at 11:17 PM. Reason: more attempts to fix
Old 07-13-2022, 12:34 AM

Default Re: Could not save Assertion error - Pro Tools can't save a session or preferences

What changed?

What drive/volume/filesystem is this occurring on? This is very much likely to be a storage related issue.

If you manually drag a copy of one of these sessions to the system drive can you open it from there.

Is all backup software disabled?

---

As always with ASSET errors google the error. That turns up some useful links. A few about backups running that caused the problem, maybe while taking snapshots IIRC you should look carefully.

google "Sys_Volume.cpp" Assert

(don't worry about the exact line number in the assert.. that can change across different Pro Tools versions).
Old 07-13-2022, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Could not save Assertion error - Pro Tools can't save a session or preferences

Avid support got in touch with me very quickly. The best recommendation was:

Quote:
-Allow iLok License Manager and Pro Tools to control your Computer in System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy tab, on the left column, choose Accessibility, check or add both apps.
-Allow iLok License Manager and Pro Tools to have Full Disc access in System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy tab, on the left column, choose Full Disc Access, check or add both apps.
But that was a temporary fix. Upon further investigation, I noticed that a test user worked. That made me think of Log-In items. I've been using Arq backup software for years now, and I had set Arq to backup the home folder. During the scan of the home folder, Pro Tools would lose its preferences and become completely read-only on every drive. Removing the home folder from Arq's scan (but keeping the online drives) seems to have fixed the problem. I won't know for sure until a day or two from now.

Darryl! I would never have suspected my backup software. Smart thinking.
Old 07-13-2022, 11:35 AM

Wish I'd read this 18 hours ago:

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=414437

Old 07-13-2022, 12:03 PM

Yep. Wish I realized you used Arq, could have fingered that specifically for you.
Old 07-13-2022, 12:06 PM

I've been running Arq for maybe a decade now (?). It's lightweight, unobtrusive, reliable. Never had a problem with it on Intel. Even on my APFS Mojave boot drive. Until now. Later on I'll figure out if I can backup the boot by turning APFS snapshot off, or if I have to ignore the boot altogether.
Old 07-13-2022, 12:17 PM

Can you disable Arq running during work hours... with enough time for it to finish overnight? Any chance you just have caused long backups that are say spilling over from a nightly/daily backup or for some reason taking much longer than expected? (like it's got to backup an entire new Mac Studio boot volume). I don't know Arq but looking in it's log files may help see if there are any issues there.