Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 08-11-2008, 08:00 AM

Default Mojo Storage Requirements

We're in the process of upgrading our HD2 systems currently on G5's using Aurora Igniter cards for video capture and playback. We currently use an internal SATA drive for video capture and playback and glyph firewire drives for audio playback. We've been using this setup or the past 4-5 years with no problems at all.
We're going to move to the Mojo SDi for capture and playback and probably will shift platforms from Mac TDM to PC TDM so we can use things like Interplay, Video Satellite in the future. After looking through the compatibility docs I'm a little confused about storage. It seems like Digi is really pushing SCSI but we've been without it for a while without a problem and I'd hate to go back unless we absolutely have to.
So for those of you using similar systems is an internal SATA drive for video plus audio on firewire gonna work for us with the Mojo? We do mostly promos and short programming with relatively small track counts.
Also anyone have any input on the MAC vs PC TDM?
Thanks
Jamie
Old 08-11-2008, 09:23 AM

Default Mojo Storage

Jamie, I use Mojo with an internal SATA drive for the video with no problems however I don't put video and audio on the same drive. ProTools likes to see video and audio on separate drives, so I would either put 2 SATA drives in your system or use the Internal SATA for Video and external firewire (using a PCI firewire card) for your audio. The internal Firewire bus is used for the MOJO.

Also, depending on what resolution video you are planning on capturing, you may need a raid. DV or lower is fine on one drive. Uncompressed will need a striped set of drives. I believe Avid recommends a minimum 4 drive stripe for Uncompressed SD.

MacPro 2x2.66 GHz Dual Core "WoodCrest"
Mac OSX 10.5.8 / 4 Gig Ram
ProTools 8.0.4
Digidesign/Magma PE6NE-I upgraded 6 slot expansion chassis. (Host card in Slot 2 of MacPro)
HD3 Accel
BlackMagic Decklink Studio 2 (In Slot 3 of MacPro)

SurCode / Dolby Media Meter 2
Izotope RX2 Advanced / Sonic NoNoise
Waves Platinum 7.x / Serato PitchnTime
Melodyne Studio / Altiverb XL / Speakerphone
KOMPLETE 7
EQuality / Massey L2007
TC MasterX
Old 08-11-2008, 09:41 AM

Thanks Rick! We would definitely use the firewire for audio on a separate card and the SATA for video only. The video quality or codec really just needs to be comparable or better than the MJPEG of the Aurora so it sounds like the SATA drive will work just fine. I just got worried reading the compatiblitiy docs for Mojo. Kind of confusing. At one point it says "Keep in mind that the use of mixed storage (such as video on SCSI, audio on FireWire) is not supported with Avid video peripherals." which seems to contradict what we've been doing with SATA and firewire.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:24 PM

Lightbulb DV or bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sanchez View Post
Also, depending on what resolution video you are planning on capturing, you may need a raid. DV or lower is fine on one drive. Uncompressed will need a striped set of drives. I believe Avid recommends a minimum 4 drive stripe for Uncompressed SD.
Pro Tools will only capture at DV resolution with Mojo SDI. You will have to use MediaStation|PT or AVID software to capture at a different resolution.