Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 08-14-2013, 05:45 AM

Default soloing a track in headphone mix?

hi there,
the other day I was recording vocals and the guy sometimes wanted to just hear his vocals...
Is there a quick way to solo only the vocal sent to the hp cue..

Is it muting all sends and leave the vocal un-muted the only way..?
Isn't that too much of a hassle?

I know that I could send the vocal and the rest of the band to different "in between" aux tracks.. but isn't that a hassle too??

thanks a lot people
Old 08-14-2013, 12:39 PM

Default Re: soloing a track in headphone mix?

Depends on the interface(hardware and software, if applicable). This is where experience and ingenuity will help you decide how to route audio to accomplish this. For instance, in my setup(DIGI003) I feed the main send to the headphone amp(so everyone gets the main mix) AND I can add(with AUX sends) "more me"(or more whatever) to each of the 4 headphone mixes. My dilemma was, how can I(the engineer) solo anything without interrupting the main mix(that is the basis for all the headphone mixes)? My solution was to add a send to every track(all at -0, all in Pre-fade, and all disabled and built into my session template). If I want to solo anything, I switch my monitor controller(Presonus Central Station) to a different input(what those sends feed) and enable the send(Ctrl-click). So, with a Ctrl-click, instead of a mouse click only, I can solo for me, without affecting the main mix feeding the phones. Figure out what works with your equipment

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-14-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Depends on the interface(hardware and software, if applicable). This is where experience and ingenuity will help you decide how to route audio to accomplish this. For instance, in my setup(DIGI003) I feed the main send to the headphone amp(so everyone gets the main mix) AND I can add(with AUX sends) "more me"(or more whatever) to each of the 4 headphone mixes. My dilemma was, how can I(the engineer) solo anything without interrupting the main mix(that is the basis for all the headphone mixes)? My solution was to add a send to every track(all at -0, all in Pre-fade, and all disabled and built into my session template). If I want to solo anything, I switch my monitor controller(Presonus Central Station) to a different input(what those sends feed) and enable the send(Ctrl-click). So, with a Ctrl-click, instead of a mouse click only, I can solo for me, without affecting the main mix feeding the phones. Figure out what works with your equipment
hi thanks for that, I also use the 003 rack..

What I mean is being able to solo for the talent, not for me..
I don't if I understood correctly..

One way to do it would be to have selected all the tracks which I am sending, and hit option+shift on the send mute, and then unmute what I want him to hear.

I jus thought about it... but it is a little slow..

Thanks a lot
Old 08-14-2013, 04:24 PM

Be creative. You can create a mix of most tracks(with AUX sends or output assignment to a bus and route thru an AUX track. Send the AUX track to the phones as a mix. Then you can mute the AUX track to remove everything from the phones except the 1 desired signal(this is akin to setting a "mix-minus" feed). There's likely several ways to make this happen. You need to get the ol' brain bucket engaged

Old 08-16-2013, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Be creative. You can create a mix of most tracks(with AUX sends or output assignment to a bus and route thru an AUX track. Send the AUX track to the phones as a mix. Then you can mute the AUX track to remove everything from the phones except the 1 desired signal(this is akin to setting a "mix-minus" feed). There's likely several ways to make this happen. You need to get the ol' brain bucket engaged
yeah I know, I was just wondering how come theere is no a solo button (like mute) on the sends,,

In reaper for example, I can use a single shorcut to solo the sends I want..
It jus took me by surprise that i could not solo ,but I guess , like all in protools, that you have to think ahead ....

thansks a lot
Old 08-16-2013, 08:01 AM

Well, Avid often tries to emulate how a real console works and I have never seen a console with this ability. One thing to tuck away in you mind here is, if you have headphones fed from AUX sends, and you use Post-fader sends(which might be counter-intuitive at first), when you solo the track, all other tracks will be muted(for you AND for those on headphones). Not sure if that might be a useful trick