Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 11-13-2023, 10:01 PM

Default Latency While Tracking - Not Delay Comp/Buffer Size

Hi y'all,

This started happening recently, never had an issue like this before in the years I've been using Pro Tools.

While recording both audio, and MIDI instruments, I'm experiencing high latency and high System Delay (2000+). Yet my Buffer Size is set to 128, and my whole session has a low Delay Compensation (58). I've attached a video to show you what's going on.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/xma67...h93rehqgp&dl=0

I usually route all channels to busses as you can see in the video (though they are currently routed straight to Mix Bus). I'm running Pro Tools 2023.9.0, and I have a MacBook Pro 2021 running M1, and Pro Tools is running Native.

I looked into the recent Delay Compensation thread and didn't see any answers. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11-13-2023, 11:13 PM

Default Re: Latency While Tracking - Not Delay Comp/Buffer Size

Having connectivity problems and I can't see/download your video.

What is the playback engine?

Are you using hardware inserts?

Are you monitoring though sends?

Are you looking at the ADC latency reported on the master fader? What is it?

Make sure you don't have hidden tracks that are causing this. And remember that bypassed plugins still add latency.

Just giving numbers may be easier than a video. But then I have no idea what detail your video shows. YouTube is often good for sharing videos.

You can likely troubleshoot this yourself, often you will have to. Make sure ignore errors is not checked. Try unchecking "Allow sends to persist in LLM" (adding that feature seemed to break other stuff that Avid still has not fixed). Forget MIDI for now. Working with a copy of the session, watch the effect of deleting stuff/simplifying the session. delete all the midi stuff, remove all plugins on master faders, try removing all other tracks and content not seemingly related to this monitoring latency. Get the session down to a few tracks. Try deactivating sets of plugins, say all those on one track. Use clicks/claps and try to measure latencies exactly, to +/- a sample. The exact value often gives a clue what is going on. Including if you see multiples of the 1024/2048 sample size disk playback buffer. And as you simplifying stuff keep looking to make sure things make sense there does not appear to be any signal loops etc. Keep making saves as you try stuff so you can go back to something before you made changes.

I do not understand the fascination with that other thread about ADC and delay compo for plugins on master fader(s). That was only one issue, and it had an easy workaround and is now fixed. There are multiple other bugs in Pro Tools latency and ADC related stuff that has been discussed lots on DUC and are most certainly not fixed (but many have workarounds).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-13-2023 at 11:29 PM.
Old 11-14-2023, 03:04 AM

Default Re: Latency While Tracking - Not Delay Comp/Buffer Size

It's a long shot, but can you check your External MIDI Devices compensation in preferences? I noticed something is wrong with them and enabling/disabling doesn't have the expected effect. Just try with them off and on (uncheck/check all three checkboxes).

Also, depending whether you upgraded from a previous Protools version, as always: Try trashing preferences (use the PT Gates tool). Once in a while this actually did seem to solve some of my problems. Protools can be very finicky regarding what's going on in its preference files.

Also, feel free to post your session file, so I can open it on my system and check for similar behaviour.