Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 03-08-2023, 06:39 AM

Default Software instrument issue driving me crazy

When I closed a session last night, I had a simple instrument track using Vacuum. I had recorded a clip of midi events, playing it back, and hearing Vacuum just fine.

Today I opened up the session and it is like that instrument track will not send midi data to a virtual instrument - any of them. When I open Vacuum I can play notes and hear them directly on vacuum, but in Pro Tools I can't get Vacuum to respond to anything from that track. Playing the song via the transport doesn't trigger Vacuum. Using either of my midi controllers doesn't work - it's like Midi data won't go to any virtual instrument on that track. "Playing" the virtual keyboard in Pro Tools doesn't work.

However, if I add another instance of Vacuum to a different instrument track, it works completely normally and as expected, including with external midi devices.

What I've tried:

1) Closing (without saving) and reopening the session
2) Trying another virtual instrument on that track (still doesn't respond)
3) Trying Vacuum on other instrument tracks (works fine)
4) Making sure the instrument track with Vacuum is set up just like other instrument tracks that all work.
5) Making sure Vacuum is working on other instrument tracks (it is).
6) Taking Vacuum off the track then adding it back
7) Completely shutting down and restarting Pro Tools

Everything else on my system seems to be working normally.

Pro Tools Artist 2022.12.0
Windows 10 with everything set up per the optimization guide
M-Audio O2 Pro Mini
Focusrite Scarlett 4|4
ALesis QS 6.1
Old 03-08-2023, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Software instrument issue driving me crazy

Hi.

Share a screenshot of the tracks with the I/O displayed.

One that works beside the one that doesn't.

I suspect the MIDI is not connecting right. Not sure why though.

Seeing the I/O might indicate something.

Also, might as well display the VI/plug window in the screen shot.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 03-17-2023, 01:22 AM

Default Re: Software instrument issue driving me crazy

Possible problems arise from midi channel conflicts. Make sure that all tracks and virtual instruments use the same midi channel. If that doesn't help, try creating a new track and playing your midi events on that new track using Vacuum. If the new track works correctly, copy your midi events to the new track and delete the old track. If that doesn't work, you may need to reinstall Vacuum or Pro Tools. It is also recommended that you often use Pro Tools support or create a thread on the Pro Tools communities to get more help from the user communities.

Last edited by FrancesWalsh; 03-29-2023 at 06:23 AM.