Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2010, 02:00 PM

Default CPU Overload, but only using 4 of my 8 cores - HELP!!!!

Hey Everyone,

I'm getting the CPU overload error a lot when I'm mixing. My System Usage meter in Pro Tools it's fluctuating between 70-80%. That's fine by itself but when I simultaneously check my Mac Activity Monitor it's only using 39% of my CPU and i have 4 gigs of unused RAM. WTF!!!!!!

Here's what Playback Engine settings seem to work best for mixing:

H/W Buffer: 2048
Host Processors: 8. 7 or 5 doesn't seem to make a difference
CPU Usage Limit: 99%

DAE Buffer: Level 4
Cache Size: Large
Plug Stream Buffer: Level 8

optimize is unchecked

As many must feel, I didn't spend $5k on an amazing computer to have Pro Tools suck balls.

These sessions are 20-50 tracks, 24bit / 88.2khz, with an average of 2 or 3 plugs per track. Sometimes with Virtual Instruments (QL, NI, etc.) sometimes just audio.

I have no other programs running.

I'm running Pro Tools M-Powered 8.0.3 on a 2.26 8 Core Mac Pro, 8GB 1066 MHz ram. I have four hard drives inside the computer. A velociraptor 10,000rpm drive for my boot drive. Then 3 internal 1TB Western Digital drives.

The plugs in the session are anything from Waves Maserati V7 to Waves Renaissance V6, Massey, Native Instruments, Quantum Leap, Addictive Drums, etc...

I've recently downloaded and installed the PT M-Powered updater, iLok drivers, M-Audio firmware drivers for my Profire Lightbridge. (I go analog pres --> Lynx Aurora 8 ADDA --> Profire lightbridge via ADAT lightpipe. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Pro Tools. I've deleted my plist files. I've even brought sacrifices to the temple, but nothing works.

I don't wanna switch to Logic but at least it'll utilize my 8-Core 64bit Computer without choking.

any suggestions would be fantastic.

thanks!

Drew Allsbrook

www.myspace.com/drewallsbrook
Old 03-19-2010, 03:49 AM

Default Re: CPU Overload, but only using 4 of my 8 cores - HELP!!!!

Maybe it's a buggy plugin in your session, which causes CPU spikes. Maybe a plugin is not SnowLeopard compatible.
I had a plugin, which made my CPU go crazy.
Create a new session and insert all your plugins you use into your inserts and keep watching the CPU meter of PT. This way you will find the CPU hog, after that, call the plugin manufacturer support!
MacBook Pro i7 Quad 2.6GHz 16GB RAM
ProTools 2020.11
Avid S1
Avid Dock
Avid Control
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128
Roli Seaboard Block

tons of stomp boxes
tube amps
guitars
noise
Old 03-21-2010, 10:05 PM

I've been keeping my Usage Meter up while mixing. I've been trying to figure out which one is eating up my system. the only thing that i've been able to conclude is that waves maserati HMX takes up more than the others.

i only use Waves, Massey, Digidesign, QL, NI and Trillium Labs.

they're all up to date.

they're all compatible.

----

I WISH SOMEONE FROM DIGIDESIGN WOULD RESPOND TO ME!!!!!!!!!

it's not a plugin problem.

I'M ASSUMING IT'S BECAUSE DIGI IS TOO CHEAP TO KEEP THEIR SOFTWARE UP TO DATE.

WHEN IS PT 8.1 COMING OUT????????

-----

regardless of plugins. my computer's Activity Monitor indicates that Pro Tools is only using 39% of my computers CPU. but it's running out.

clearly Pro Tools is not smart enough to utilize all my computer's resources.

-----

i'm assuming it's Digi's/Avid's way of bending me over and forcing me to get an HD rig. which i will eventually, but i'm competing with Diaper costs.....

is it too much to say..... "greedy bastards?......"

anybody have any other ideas?

DIGIDESIGN reps have anything to say?
Old 04-20-2010, 07:27 AM

I share your frustration and don't think I found the silver bullet.

HOWEVER, after trying just about everything suggested in the troubleshooting guides and in this forum, I think I might have come across something that works for me:

In the Playback Engine dialog, I simply unchecked the box "Host Engine: [ ] Ignore Errors During Playback/Record (may cause clicks and pops)".

After reading at least a dozen other "ah-ha" moments in this forum concerning this issue, none of which worked for me, I don't pretend to have found the answer. There are clearly some issues with this version of the product.

As well, I'm not really putting PT through the paces right now either. Just basic songwriter-style recording. But, I was having issues with just that a few days ago. Mixing and mastering a medium sized project was nearly impossible.

To sum it up, all my current settings are the same as they were in my very stable 7.4 installation except for this single option. And, so far, so good...

I'll let you know more in a few days.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:29 AM
Heather Anne

Okay, this is an intriguing idea -- the newest of dozens I've run across in several different threads on this topic. But I'm wondering what that little warning means about "May cause clicks and pops"?

My type of voiceover work means I cannot have any clicks and pops! Will doing this increase clicks and pops in the actual recorded track?
Old 04-22-2010, 12:55 PM

I think it really depends on how robust your system is. The way I understand it, clicks and pops are a result of insufficient system resources.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:35 PM

Yeah, the clicks/pops are digital errors in the sound stream that occur when your computer can't keep up with the amount of data needed to be processed. Should only occur in playback/recording, and won't actually manifest itself in the actual files unless you track under these conditions.

Have you checked your Playback Engine settings? You should have 7/8 cores checked @ the highest possible usage percentage.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realvoicepro View Post
My type of voiceover work means I cannot have any clicks and pops! Will doing this increase clicks and pops in the actual recorded track?
Y'know, it's pretty easy to click the checkbox and give it a try - it doesn't permanently record clicks & pops to your tracks, should they happen at all - they're just playback errors.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:15 AM

Obvious solution you may have tried is making sure all your tracks have elastic audio turned off. Other than that its probably a bad plug in, i have mercury running on a 4gb 2.93 Ghz mac pro and i dont go over 30% cpu with 20+ tracks