Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 02:50 PM

Default Insurance for gear?... Help

Hey everyone,

Thought this might be a good starting point to find this out, but I am moving in a couple months and we are starting to get everything together for the move. I will unfortunately be living in the city with neighbors...etc...etc. and am not wild about bringing my gear into town and having neighbors that will #$%^Q about the noise, or possibly even witness me bringing gear into the new place during the move.

My question is:

Does regular renters insurance cover all your gear typically as long as you claim your gear is a "hobby/project" studio no matter what the value for everything from theft to fire, to natural disaster...etc..? or would I have to obtain a seperate type of insurance for a certain coverage on my gear?

An off topic question:

what are your best reccomendations for sound proofing the room I will be working out of so the neighbors don't $@%@^....?? would I be best off going with the good old auralex or should I just get a dedicated booth from one of those stores or build one?

I would like to keep everything as cheap as possible yet have the sound stay in the room and sound good on the recordings... The most I would ever be doing would be a guitar amp, bass amp, or drum kit.... I am thinking I will not be able to crank the amps for the next few years too much though.....

Thanks for the advice in advance. peace
Old 06-16-2005, 11:45 PM

Default Re: Insurance for gear?... Help

Charlie, call your local AFM (Musician's union) ask for a quote, if you "Pay your dues, and remain a member in good standing" what "X" value amount of gear, would cost, to insure through the union.

The union insurance, is CONSIDERABLY cheaper, and less conditions, w/ lower deductables then any standard insurance company, w/ a ryder on your house policy.
CTRL24, HD2 Accel, Mix+, 001's, 002's, M-box's. MAC & PC
Old 06-17-2005, 02:39 PM

Thanks man, I think that my renters insurance might cover it for the time being for the few years that I am going to be at this place, but I am looking into the musicians union anyhow caus I intend to acquire gear eventually that my regular insurance company would probably not cover due to $$$... or lack of me wanting to pay them what they want for it atleast..
Old 06-20-2005, 07:42 PM

If your insurance company suspects for one second that you make any money with the gear, they won't cover it. Good luck on the noise issue. Keeping sound contained can be done but it isn't cheap.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-21-2005, 01:17 PM

Hmmm.... *taps into insurance companies firewalls to restrict personal website selling albums that I have made in my studio*

yeah, I have been researching some options for the noise thing over at John Sayers boards and I don't believe I have the budget within means to do so at this point so I am planning on holding off with upgrades for a few years or so yet til I move to a proper place where I can put in what I really want and record all the stuff that I can't in my own studio at various pro locations I can work deals at around town otherwise. Guess it pays to have friends that are willing to work with ya... I have been wanting to experiment with a proper environment for some time now anyhow... *shrugs*

thanks for the advice though Albee!