Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2023, 07:11 AM

Default I have what looks like a mono track with panning, how?

Hey folks,

So a new challenge from me today. I have what looks like a mono audio track in Pro Tools and this track has panning dials for left and right. It looks like a mono track as it only has one line of audio, no left and right.

When I try to create a new mono track it only has a single pan dial. If I try to create it as a stereo track, it gives me both panning dials but it then won't allow me to drag the mono audio clip into it. For obvious reasons!

If I duplicate the audio track with the panning left and right, it duplicates just fine and I then have what still looks like mono, but with left and right panning. My goal is to be able to create a track from new that works like this. I'm sure it's me being an idiot and misunderstanding how something works. But I can't figure it out and I can't find anything similar on a search of the forum.

Note: The track is being routed to a mix bus that is a stereo output I believe. However, the new track I'm creating is also routed in exactly the same way, but I still only get one pan dial.

So I'm confused as to what is going on here. Hoping you can help

Thanks
Andy
Old 02-06-2023, 08:00 AM

Default Re: I have what looks like a mono track with panning, how?

A mono track assigned to a stereo output will always have panning available.

Also. If you insert a mono<stereo plug-in on a mono track. This will give you a L+R panner knob but keep the appearance of the track as still being mono.

A mono track busses to a stereo output only has one pan dial. One signal going to two places. Either left or right or a combination of both.

A stereo signal going to a stereo output will have two pan dials. One for the left signal and one for the right signal. Thus allowing you to adjust either of the two channels sources to the two channel destination.
Old 02-06-2023, 11:32 AM

I agree, you most likely have a mono-to-stereo plugin causing the two pan dials on the mono track.

Quote:
My goal is to be able to create a track from new that works like this.
If you want to have a mono track with two pan dials, simply create a new stereo audio track, duplicate the mono track, and drag the two identical audio clips onto the new stereo track.

I don't see why you would want to do this, though…
This isn't one of those "I want my mono track to come out of both speakers and sound like stereo" beginner issues, is it?
Old 02-06-2023, 01:07 PM

Having joined the forum this month, the user might indeed be a beginner.

In that case, the clear answers are above. Nothing else needs to be understood except how mono and stereo signals are treated:

mono or stereo audio file or Virtual Instrument signal passes through mono or stereo plug-ins processing then out of the track through a mono or stereo output signal.

Mono file > Mono plug-in > Mono output signal (no pan knob)
Mono file > Mono plug-in > Stereo output signal (one pan knob)
Mono file > Stereo plug-in > Stereo output signal (two pan knobs)

I think you notice on one knob as the other poster says, the plug-in channel count is what decreased.

Your confusion may be conflating "tracks" with "signals". Imagine a 5.1 surround "file" and how this situation is simple and complex at once. There is no real such stable thing as a "mono track" as a concept. It could be more accurate to think of "how many signals does this track represent" and "how many channels of audio does my workflow, or audio, have".

All the tracks flow through your output path in your overall processing workflow.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 02-07-2023, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
Also. If you insert a mono<stereo plug-in on a mono track. This will give you a L+R panner knob but keep the appearance of the track as still being mono.
Thank you, that what is. I understood the mono>mono and mono>stereo panning. What confused me was that this was mono>mono and still had panning. It is a stereo plugin that has created the appearance of panning.

Thanks again.
Regards
Andy
Old 02-07-2023, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I agree, you most likely have a mono-to-stereo plugin causing the two pan dials on the mono track.
Indeed I do. That's what I wasn't so familiar with.

Quote:
If you want to have a mono track with two pan dials, simply create a new stereo audio track, duplicate the mono track, and drag the two identical audio clips onto the new stereo track.
I am familiar with things at that level, I just hadn't thought about plugins.

Quote:
This isn't one of those "I want my mono track to come out of both speakers and sound like stereo" beginner issues, is it?
I am indeed a beginner. Not a complete beginner but still very early in my journey. But then again, weren't we all once?
Old 02-07-2023, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nednednerb View Post
Having joined the forum this month, the user might indeed be a beginner.

In that case, the clear answers are above. Nothing else needs to be understood except how mono and stereo signals are treated:

mono or stereo audio file or Virtual Instrument signal passes through mono or stereo plug-ins processing then out of the track through a mono or stereo output signal.

Mono file > Mono plug-in > Mono output signal (no pan knob)
Mono file > Mono plug-in > Stereo output signal (one pan knob)
Mono file > Stereo plug-in > Stereo output signal (two pan knobs)

I think you notice on one knob as the other poster says, the plug-in channel count is what decreased.

Your confusion may be conflating "tracks" with "signals". Imagine a 5.1 surround "file" and how this situation is simple and complex at once. There is no real such stable thing as a "mono track" as a concept. It could be more accurate to think of "how many signals does this track represent" and "how many channels of audio does my workflow, or audio, have".

All the tracks flow through your output path in your overall processing workflow.
I'm not so much a beginner, more just not overly knowledgeable about these things. I did manage to record my first album entirely on my own, albeit not the best sounding thing.

I have a basic understanding of mono vs stereo. It was the plugin confusing me. Thanks anyways/
Old 02-18-2023, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahughes3 View Post
I'm not so much a beginner, more just not overly knowledgeable about these things. I did manage to record my first album entirely on my own, albeit not the best sounding thing.

I have a basic understanding of mono vs stereo. It was the plugin confusing me. Thanks anyways/
Yes we were all beginners at some point
Now I have only been using Pro Tools since 2003 and I have a Masters Certificate in Advanced Music Production in Pro Tools .
But honestly nednednerb's post is a bit confusing to me (I may just not get, the wording he is using)

So let me give it a shot :

All mono tracks will have one pan knob
All stereo tracks will have two pan knobs

If you have a mono track with or without, a mono file on it (say a file of a mono vocal recording on a mono track) from a mono input and using a mono signal.
But IF you happen to instantiate a (mono/stereo) plugin on that track, it will switch to two pan knobs on the mix window page , and it will show two meters and two signals on that track in the Mix window..
BUT it will still show as a mono track in the edit window with only one wave form .

And an additional note If you click a slot in the insert section on a mono track
and go to EQ or Dynamics the Stock PT plugin will usually show only a mono selection (although some 3rd party plugins may show a mono/stereo selection
But if say you go to Reverb or Delay then even some PT plugins (like D-Verb) may show the mono/stereo selection options

One a stereo track all plugins selections will only show a stereo option ---- make sense ?

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 02-20-2023 at 06:36 AM.
Old 02-19-2023, 03:35 PM

I totally admit to being wordy and confusing. I typed that pretty quickly. I would say it differently if I went back. Oh well, haha!
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //