Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 12-29-2011, 09:39 AM

Default Wrong Notes played with midi controler

Need help! In PT9, on my instrument tracks, the notes I play on my Photon 25 aren't the same in PT9...why?
6Gig memory
1 X 320gig HD
2 X 80gig HD
Old 12-29-2011, 11:32 AM

Default Re: Wrong Notes played with midi controler

I would check to make sure you aren't transposing at the keyboard. You can also transpose automatically in PT, but my guess is that you have some how mistakenly transposed the keyboard.

We just bought a bunch of the Axiom keyboards for our MIDI lab and they are EXTREMELY easy to transpose (usually students do this by accident, obviously).
.: Pro Tools Certified Instructor
.: Pro Tools Expert Certified in Music
Old 07-24-2015, 11:00 AM

I just hooked up my Axiom Pro 49 and began playing a track with the Grand Piano and a few bars into the song, it changed key - 2 semi-tomes down - I tried it again and in the same spot - it changed! I tried to check the transpose button but they do not seem to work. Did I set up something wrong. I am using Pro Tools 8.0.5 with a Mac OS X 10.6.8.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:04 PM

"a few bars into the song, it changed key - 2 semi-tomes down - I tried it again and in the same spot" ... sounds like automation .. i would check there 1st ..

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 07-24-2015, 02:36 PM

Thank you. I apologize about the next question but what do you mean "automation". I am still learning about recording and DAW and Pro Tools. Can you elaborate?
Old 07-25-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singalong View Post
Thank you. I apologize about the next question but what do you mean "automation". I am still learning about recording and DAW and Pro Tools. Can you elaborate?
Automation means having parameters change automatically on their own according to data you've written to the track. Suggest looking up automation in the PT User's Guide (aka The Manual) that comes free with every install of PT.

Seeing as how you're new to recording and PT I'd suggest getting a good third party book or two to help explain the terms used and such.

QAPLA!
Old 08-01-2015, 09:38 PM

Sorry for the delay but thank you. I have the PT course text book 101 and am going through that. Another problem I noted, I am unable to use the numeric pad and the octave change buttons on the Axiom Pro 49 - it is brand new. As well, as I am playing the keys, sometimes there is a "tinny" sound in some of the notes. Could this be a problem with the controller. I did not think that there would be such an issue. It should be plug in and play. Any information would be helpful. Thank you for your time.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Sorry for the delay but thank you. I have the PT course text book 101 and am going through that. Another problem I noted, I am unable to use the numeric pad and the octave change buttons on the Axiom Pro 49 - it is brand new. As well, as I am playing the keys, sometimes there is a "tinny" sound in some of the notes. Could this be a problem with the controller. I did not think that there would be such an issue. It should be plug in and play. Any information would be helpful. Thank you for your time.
When you say tinniy sound - are you talking about something coming through your monitor speakers or a mechanical sound coming from when you press the keys on the Axiom? If it's coming through the speakers that's a fault of the sound or vi being played. If it's mechanical coming from the keyboard something may have rattled loose or it's a cabinet resonance.

QAPLA!
Old 08-02-2015, 10:00 AM

Thank you again. It's really hard to explain. I am playing the key board and recording, then a random key will sound really weird - and it gets recorded. On top of that, I am unable to use the numeric pad on the controller and the octave keys do not work. I am in the process of returning the controller.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Thank you again. It's really hard to explain. I am playing the key board and recording, then a random key will sound really weird - and it gets recorded. On top of that, I am unable to use the numeric pad on the controller and the octave keys do not work. I am in the process of returning the controller.
So you're saying the noise is coming through the speakers and is not a mechanical noise right? If that's the case that is NOT a fault of the keyboard but it's in the sample set or vi you are using. As far as the other functions - do you have the drivers installed for it? Get a MIDI monitor program for your operating system, connect up the keyboard, and run through the various buttons and such. That will tell you whether the keyboard is at fault or something else is going on.

QAPLA!