Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2012, 02:08 AM

Exclamation What am I doing wrong!!!

Hi,

I recently acquired a TL Audio Fat Track. It's a great piece of gear but I am struggling to connect it to my Mbox.

I was able to use the mic pre, I get the signal from the Fat Track to the input 1 of my Mbox.

However, when I want to route anything out of Protools into the Fat Track, to use the Eq for example, and record back into Protools, I just can't have any signal feeding into the Fat track.

I am sure I am doing something wrong but what.

Can someone help me.
Mac OS X 10.8.5
Processor 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5 RAM 8Go 1333 MHz DDR3

DAW
Pro tools 11
Sound Interface
Digidesign 003 Desk.

Monitoring: Bluesky MediaDesk MKII 2.1
Microphones: Rhode NT2-A, AKG C1000(X2)
Summing mixer: TLAudio Fat track
Old 08-26-2012, 06:18 AM

Default Re: What am I doing wrong!!!

If you describe in detail how you have it connected it will be easier for someone to know.

Pro Tools | latest
Mac Mini Server | OSX | Current
16GB Ram | SSHD
Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt
Old 08-26-2012, 07:06 AM

Also which mbox? It will be easier to do with some than others.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
Also which mbox? It will be easier to do with some than others.
Actually, rather impossible with anything less than the PRO version. Hardware inserts(what you need to do this) require more IO than the rest of the Mbox line has. You need a pair of LINE outputs, and a matching pair of line inputs(same number) to properly create a hardware insert. Mbox PRO has a set of IO numbered 3&4 to make it work(the manual describes hardware inserts in detail but I can't remember what page). 002 and 003 can also handle it. With Pro Tools 9 and later, that would allow for most 3rd party interfaces that have more IO.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-26-2012, 10:37 AM

Hi,

@Lincoln Mitchell: I will get back to you ASAP.

@CME Mbox (actually the 3RD generationnot the 2nd).
There is the Mbox mini, the Mbox and the Mbox PRO.

@albee1952 I do have two outputs and two line inputs with the Mbox at the rear of the unit. Are you saying they are not they are not suitable for the job?

I am new to all of that and actually training myself, so excuse any stupid questions I might ask.

Thanks for your answers guys.
Mac OS X 10.8.5

DAW
Pro tools 11
Sound Interface
Digidesign 003 Desk.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:24 AM

Well from the looks of it, you'll also need a converter. You would need to use outs and ins 3&4 which appear to be spdif. So you'd need a ADC and DAC converter. Hook that up to the digital I/O. Then your fat track up to the converter.

However I just looked up the fat track. You might consider upgrading your interface to something with ADAT I/O. Apparently there is an ADAT option card for it. And that looks like a pretty cool box with some summing capabilities also. So while you could make it work with your mbox, getting an interface with more I/O would make better use of it. At least IMHO.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:30 PM

Totally depends on what those IO jacks are labeled. You cannot use the main outputs as part of an insert. You need an Mbox that has inputs 3&4, and outputs 3&4), otherwise, you don't have the PRO version of Mbox and cannot(easily) do hardware inserts(but you could buy a bigger interface). Sometimes you need to analyze the interface and what its real purpose is. Most of the Mbox line is designed for simple recording, by 1 performer, and doing it all ITB(in the box). When your needs are greater, its best to move to a n interface that covers your needs better. BTW, an ADAT/Lightpipe option won't help with Mbox as none of them have lightpipe connections.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:37 PM

You've got two basic options with an interface that has one set of inputs, and one set of outputs :

1. use the Fat Track as the pre-amp, shaping the sound of sources on the way in (that means you're committed to any EQ etc.)

2. use it as an insert by creating a closed feedback loop.

The way you would achieve the latter, without damaging any equipment, or negatively effecting the sound, would be to bounce to another track that is muted, through the Fat Track.

Whilst there are some options on the Fat Track for having it set-up that way permanently, switching between input channels, and output monitoring options, it would make more sense to only set up that way when you needed to print EQ etc, as otherwise you would be monitoring through valves and special sauce that would not be included in your final bounce to disk.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:30 PM

Talking Re: What am I doing wrong!!!

Ok then, I think I will go for upgrading my interface. I kinda tought about this option already and was considering the 003 factory.

It's the one interface I have been training on and I know it. But the very few I found on 2nd hand are pretty pricy.

Thank you anyway to all of you for helping me shed some lights on this problem.

All the best to you.
Mac OS X 10.8.5

DAW
Pro tools 11
Sound Interface
Digidesign 003 Desk.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosta972 View Post
Ok then, I think I will go for upgrading my interface. I kinda tought about this option already and was considering the 003 factory.

It's the one interface I have been training on and I know it. But the very few I found on 2nd hand are pretty pricy.

Thank you anyway to all of you for helping me shed some lights on this problem.

All the best to you.
003 is a great choice with Pro Tools 8. Just understand what the "Factory" moniker means. The hardware(003) is the same. The "Factory" part refers to a batch of plugins. You should review what those are so you don't pay extra for plugins you don't need or want. I paid extra and find I never use any of them(so I could have save some money). Starting with the stock plugin package, the first thing you will want/need is a good reverb plugin(and the Factory bundle doesn't include one). I would check out Redline 112, Overloud's Breverb and IK Multimedia's Classik Reverb bundle