Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 08-05-2021, 12:26 AM

Default 96k Headphone Adapter MacBook Pro

Bought a 96k headphone adapter for my MacBook Pro. It plays back 96k audio from QuickTime and Apple Music no problem, but when I open PT, it says this interface doesn’t support 96k. As I open PT, I watch the 96k option in Audio MIDI Setup disappear. WTH?

MacBookPro14,3
macOS 11.5.1
PT 21.6.0.101
Old 08-05-2021, 12:42 AM

Default Re: 96k Headphone Adapter MacBook Pro

Hi, welcome to the community.

i believe you should ask this question on Apple Support, does not sound like a PT problem.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:08 AM

What device is it? I have a couple that work at 96k and higher without issues, both on my iMac and MBPro. Are you setting the device as master clock in Audio MIDI setup?

Sorry if I'm asking the obvious...
Old 08-07-2021, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Hi, welcome to the community.

i believe you should ask this question on Apple Support, does not sound like a PT problem.
Not so. It worked perfectly in Apple apps, QuickTime, Apple Music, etc. The issue only arises when starting Pro Tools. How could Apple possibly help when it works fine in their OS, hardware, and apps? Answer: They can’t. This is a PT issue.
Old 08-07-2021, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Seaberg View Post
What device is it? I have a couple that work at 96k and higher without issues, both on my iMac and MBPro. Are you setting the device as master clock in Audio MIDI setup?

Sorry if I'm asking the obvious...
X-Kim
Old 08-07-2021, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Hi View Post
X-Kim
Just because you can set the coreaudio clock to 96K when using this particular headphone adapter doesn't necessarily mean this device actually supports 96K. What it means (and what you are seeing) is a device that allows coreaudio sample rate conversion to its own native sample rate.

The Pro Tools coreaudio interface does not allow for sample rate conversion. Therefore, you are seeing the only real sample rates available with that device when you are running Pro Tools.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 08-07-2021, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Not so. It worked perfectly in Apple apps, QuickTime, Apple Music, etc. The issue only arises when starting Pro Tools. How could Apple possibly help when it works fine in their OS, hardware, and apps? Answer: They can’t. This is a PT issue.
Don't be so sure of that; as @Top_Jimmy says, almost certainly this device isn't really a 96k interface. All those apps use CoreAudio SRC. The only "X-Kim" audio hardware I see is a cheap little USB-Headphone adapter - If that's what you're using then no, that's not gonna work. If you post a link to the device we may be able to confirm.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6

Last edited by Rich Breen; 08-07-2021 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-08-2021, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
Don't be so sure of that; as @Top_Jimmy says, almost certainly this device isn't really a 96k interface. All those apps use CoreAudio SRC. The only "X-Kim" audio hardware I see is a cheap little USB-Headphone adapter - If that's what you're using then no, that's not gonna work. If you post a link to the device we may be able to confirm.
Yes, a "cheap little USB Headphone adapter" is EXACTLY what I want. As you probably know, ever since Apple decided to gut the headphone adapter and pull the TOSLINK out I can't run 96k sessions in headphones on my friggin' laptop.

Okay, fine, let's cut to the chase. Where is Avid's list of approved headphone adapters that work at 96k with PT? I don't need an entire "portable interface" just to do some editing. I googled 96k headphone adapters and found the X-Kim. I'm not making final mix decisions. I don't GAF about pristine jitter specs or anything. I just want it to work. I shouldn't need to spend large coin so I can play back a 96k PT session in fecking headphones. The speakers work for Chrissake. The clock is there. I'm not asking for anything extra.

This is ********. Laptops suck. I miss my Hackintosh while I'm on vacation.
Old 08-08-2021, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
Just because you can set the coreaudio clock to 96K when using this particular headphone adapter doesn't necessarily mean this device actually supports 96K. What it means (and what you are seeing) is a device that allows coreaudio sample rate conversion to its own native sample rate.

The Pro Tools coreaudio interface does not allow for sample rate conversion. Therefore, you are seeing the only real sample rates available with that device when you are running Pro Tools.
Question: If Pro Tools uses Core Audio for hardware, what does it care if Core Audio does SRC? It should be hardware agnostic. It can play back using the speakers, so we know the clock and everything else it needs is presented to the PT engine. The fact that it fails ONLY on headphones is some serious BS.
Old 08-08-2021, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Yes, a "cheap little USB Headphone adapter" is EXACTLY what I want. As you probably know, ever since Apple decided to gut the headphone adapter and pull the TOSLINK out I can't run 96k sessions in headphones on my friggin' laptop.

Okay, fine, let's cut to the chase. Where is Avid's list of approved headphone adapters that work at 96k with PT? I don't need an entire "portable interface" just to do some editing. I googled 96k headphone adapters and found the X-Kim. I'm not making final mix decisions. I don't GAF about pristine jitter specs or anything. I just want it to work. I shouldn't need to spend large coin so I can play back a 96k PT session in fecking headphones. The speakers work for Chrissake. The clock is there. I'm not asking for anything extra.

This is ********. Laptops suck. I miss my Hackintosh while I'm on vacation.
Why not lose the 'tude and post the exact piece of hardware you are using along with a link to the product? Perhaps you do need to spend a little extra to get things to work.

edit for additional:
Why don't you use the MBP's headphone jack? It's still there you know.

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 08-08-2021 at 09:25 AM. Reason: added headphone jack info