Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2011, 12:49 PM

Default MB Pro / Lion / 9.0.5 / What can one expect?

1. Old MB Pro (w/ 9.0.3 and SL) died. (Logic board)

2. Purchased new MB Pro, w/ Lion. Employed Time Machine backup to transfer all info from the old laptop.

3. Installed 9.0.5 update on the new computer. Decided to try it that way, before "partitioning", etc.

4. Everything seems to be running well. Sessions are opening, playing, recording. All plugins seem to be there. No issues.

What is your experience with this, and what can one expect? Anything to watch out for, etc.?

Thanks !
Old 10-12-2011, 06:23 AM

Default Re: MB Pro / Lion / 9.0.5 / What can one expect?

I appreciate the 100 plus views.
No thoughts / experience regarding this?
Thanks.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:56 AM

I don't have the latest Macbook Pro but have a new Macbook Air with Lion and all seem to be going well with Protools 9.0.5 (There is a known problem with the play button not always working). Keep in mind that Protools 9.0. is still a beta version and some issues may exist.

I'm a little concerned about your mention of "Partition." Putting Protools audio and session files on a partition of the system drive is not recommended. It is always recommended that audio and session files be placed on a physically separate drive (not just a partition of the same system drive). In the case of the Macbook Pros, that usually means an external firewire drive. There are some kits that allow you to remove the superdrive (DVD RW) and install a second hard drive or SSD that will work but I'm not sure if you want to do that to you new Macbook Pro just yet.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 10-12-2011, 11:51 AM

To clarify:
All session and audio files live on a separate, external FW drive.
My use of "Participation" referred to something in the beta documents indicating that if one uses 9.0.5 with Lion, the PT app should be installed on a separate partition on the internal hard drive.
Is that clearer?
Old 10-12-2011, 12:02 PM

This is what I was writing about: Copied from the Avid Site:

"To run Pro Tools on Mac OS X 10.7.x ("Lion"), create a clean Lion partition and install Pro Tools directly to that partition. Avid recommends against updating a Snow Leopard partition that already had Pro Tools installed due to the potential for Lion to uninstall certain components during its installation process."

Here's why I think I'm OK:

I didn't:

"Update a Snow Leopard partition that already had Pro Tools installed".

I started with a new computer; One that never had SL on it. I then transferred all the apps and data to that new computer, including PT (9.0.3).
Updated to 9.0.5, and all seems well so far.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:37 PM

I understand what you are saying now. It sounds like you understand the concept. I just always cringe when people talk about using a partition with Protools because a separate partition is not a separate hard drive even though it is assigned a different drive name/label. You should be good.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 10-12-2011, 05:17 PM

Right. I'd never record to a system drive---always to an external Firewire. First thing I learned...
Old 10-14-2011, 05:56 AM

For what it's worth:
Yesterday I was sent a session with about 20 audio tracks, plugins on every track, etc.
Gotta say it worked perfectly with Lion / PT 9.0.5. Beta / New MBP
No issues at all.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:59 AM

Got my MBP a month & a half ago (15" i7 quad 2.2gHz w/SSD), and running PT 9.0.5 is awesome. I use PT mostly with an Apogee Duet, as well as an Ensemble & built in audio. Very few problems at all:

1. I do have the issue where occasionally pressing play doesn't do anything, but closing & reopening the session cures that.
2. Also had an issue with crossfading x-form elastic tracks, where the crossfades don't line up, resulting in a pop.

Otherwise, it's been extremely stable. It probably helps that I've been keeping my system very clean too, unlike my previous Macbook which had tons of unnecessary free plugins & junk.

Still hanging out on 10.7.1, waiting for Avid's blessing.

Hope that's of some use.

~peter in oakland
Old 10-20-2011, 02:32 AM

I haven't upgraded to Lion yet but 9.0.5 on a new MacBook Pro kicks ass. I had some issues that were plugin-related but it's all fine now. No odd crashes so far.