Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2008, 04:47 AM

Default Am I missing something here or what???

Hi, I thought I drop this question here where the proffs are, I know it's not a common PT question but wanted to ask anyway since you've always been so helpful

I produced a song called "Faith" for a songwriter in the USA which I recorded and mixed on a Pro Tools TDM 6.4.1.
The songwriter is using "TAXI" for delivering his songs to tv/film advert opp. Now I got an e-mail this morning from him asking this question:

"Svenni

Can we output FAITH in this format?

Recordings must be in a "Protools/Logic/Reason track so instruments and vocals can be separated out for cuts/fades etc.."

For me this doesn't really tell me anything except if their asking for the PT session folder? but hey!
you don't send a PT session folder unless your song got picked and they want it, and you know how that is... opening it on another computer - PT version - PC or MAC - plugins and so on. I would think they just want an mp3 or wav of the mix that was recorded using PT and if it gets selected they want the PT session folder for separating instruments and vocals... or

Am I missing something here or what? What do you think?
Old 05-03-2008, 08:29 PM

Default Re: Am I missing something here or what???

Quote:

"Svenni

Can we output FAITH in this format?

Recordings must be in a "Protools/Logic/Reason track so instruments and vocals can be separated out for cuts/fades etc.."

For me this doesn't really tell me anything except if their asking for the PT session folder? but hey!
you don't send a PT session folder unless your song got picked and they want it, and you know how that is... opening it on another computer - PT version - PC or MAC - plugins and so on. I would think they just want an mp3 or wav of the mix that was recorded using PT and if it gets selected they want the PT session folder for separating instruments and vocals... or

Am I missing something here or what? What do you think?
You have the Pro Tools session the in which the song was MIXED (multi-track)

What they are wanting is a NEW Pro Tools session with a couple of stem mixes. From experience and reading your post, I would deliver a session with the following stem mixes, all of which need to have the same EXACT starting point.

• Full Mix
• Instrumental Mix (no vocals of any kind)
• TV Track Mix (only BV's with NO lead vocals)
• Lead Vocal only mix (be sure to print two versions of this, one WITH FX (verbs, H3k, delay, etc) and the other DRY.

Just print these 5 versions like you would a mix, but mute the unnecessary tracks for each pass.

Be sure to properly label each mix:
"Song Name" 2448 20080504 FULL MIX
"Song Name" 2448 20080504 INST
"Song Name" 2496 20080504 TV TRACK
"Song Name" 24882 20080504 ACAPPELLA with FX
"Song Name" 16441 20080504 ACAPPELLA dry

This may seem like overkill, but having a clear and understandable naming system is crucial when transfering files so the recipient has no problem identifying the correct version quickly.

They are going to want these variations so they can use the song or instrumental track wherever they need to in the TV show. Giving them a seperate vocal only track allows the show producers to bring the vocal in where needed (outro to a commercial break) and turn it off where not needed (when there is dialog)

Put all of these into a Pro Tools session for them so they all have the same EXACT starting point, or if they don't want a PT session, export them as stereo interleaved files. Again, make sure they all have the same exact start point.

Unless specifically asked otherwise, send them in the same resolution of the session. Do not send 16/44.1k and certainly no MP3's. If you are printing to a seperate 2 track deck, ask them what they want. Most guys print mixes in this manner at 88.2k, but TV/video typically works at 96k, so be sure to ask.

Hope this answers your question. If anyone else has some more/better suggestions who may work in the TV/Film industry on a regular basis, please chime in.

JFW

www.jfwmix.com
Old 05-05-2008, 06:31 AM

Default Re: Am I missing something here or what???

Hello John, and thanks a lot for being so helpful and taking time to explain so well
It's great to have these informations. You've been a great help

Thanks again, Svenni