Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2008, 01:24 AM

Default Dual Monitoring: PT only starts maximized on 1st screen

Hi,

I'm using PT with a set of two monitors for a long time. So far, I've never had problems with this constellation but now, after reinstalling my PC and PT, PT only starts maximized to one screen. After loading, i have to maximize the PT window manually for using both monitors...
Is there a pref or something which makes PT starting maximized on both screens again?

Greetz
Old 04-24-2008, 03:00 AM

Default Re: Dual Monitoring: PT only starts maximized on 1st screen

This is probably your graphic card settings, right click the mouse on the desktop screen, go to properties>settings>advanced.. there you should be able to adjust the second monitor screen resolution and have it the same as the default monitor.

Example: if the default monitor has 1024 by 768 pixels.. adjust the second monitor to the same.

on the other hand that may not be the problem, after you drag the PT window to the second monitor and say open the mixer view and modify that on the second monitor and save that as a session, I think it should show up that way every time you open PT afterwards. Can't remember doing any spec in PT to have it that way other then this.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:08 AM

Both monitors have already the same resolution. PT starts maximized only on the first screen. Shortly after pressing the minimize button in the window header, PT uses both monitors.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:24 AM

Yes I understand what you mean now... had this trouble myself when re-installing Windows.. I'll check it out on my PT how it was done and get back to you with details....
Old 04-24-2008, 03:56 AM

ok this is how it works..

Open PT... hit "Restore down" that should make the PT window smaller on the screen.. now put the mouse on the edge of the PT window ... giving you "arrows in both directions <--> and drag the edge of the window into monitor screen 2 and adjust the window by the size by doing this on all edges.. now you have the default PT as one box on both screens. Now do the same thing with the mixer view.. open it and restore down and drag the box to monitor 2 and adjust it by dragging the edges.. right-left-down-up to adjust it to monitor 2.. that is if you want to have the mixer view on monitor 2 and the edit window on monitor 1. Save and close.

Hope this helps...

When you open a session you'll get a new edit window on both screens.. you'll have to repeat the process with either restoring down or/and dragging the edges back to monitor 1 if you don't want the edit window on both screens. You'll also need to open a session before you can access the mixer window to adjust it.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:09 AM

I've already done these steps, but after saving the session and closing / restarting PT, PT starts maximized on the first monitor anyway. I have to minimize the window every time PT starts for using both screens... It seems that these window settings are not saved anymore since reinstalling Windows
Old 04-24-2008, 04:23 AM

Quote:
I've already done these steps, but after saving the session and closing / restarting PT, PT starts maximized on the first monitor anyway. I have to minimize the window every time PT starts for using both screens... It seems that these window settings are not saved anymore since reinstalling Windows
That is strange???? have you tried doing this with another program? This sounds like Windows... did you tweak windows for PT by changing the default performance?
Old 04-24-2008, 04:38 AM

This might be the answer... "it only remembers the window layout ona per session basis"

What you do is grab the corner of the whole protools workspace and expand it across both monitors (it can't be set to full screen to do this). Then open both the edit and mix windows, also not set to full screen, and drag each one to where you like. It will remember this if you don't disconnect the second monitor, and it only remembers the window layout ona per session basis (in other words, once you set it for a session, it will remember next time you open this session, but new sessions you create will still need to be setup this way). ALso, just to make sure you know, you have to setup your second monitor in the video properties page (assuming you're on windows)
Old 04-24-2008, 04:41 AM

Yes it is Of course I've change the performance settings of windows but I could also imaging that this could also be a problem of the nVidia Graphic Tools...
Old 04-24-2008, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Yes it is Of course I've change the performance settings of windows but I could also imaging that this could also be a problem of the nVidia Graphic Tools...
If you open a session you already have.. some song.. and restore all windows as you like to have them, hit save and open the SAME session again.. does the problem still exists?