Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2009, 01:24 PM

Default Question Regarding Outputs

Periodically I do cover versions of songs, and I begin by importing the "original" into PT to use as a reference. Once I am near completion of my own version, I've of course inserted numerous compressors, EQ's etc. on the Master Fader. At that point, in order to make a comparison between the original version and my own, I have to individually bypass each plug-in on the Master Fader in order to hear the original version without the additional processing. I know I can't have two Master Faders with the same output (one with processing and one without), as PT won't allow this.

I'd appreciate any suggestions about an easy way to toggle back and forth.

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2009, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Question Regarding Outputs

Instead of assigning all your tracks directly to the output 1-2, use a buss as a "stereo buss" and assign that to output 1-2. This allows you to import a track and assign it directly to the "mains" and it won't have your plugs on it. This has the added benefit of giving you pre fader inserts on the "stereo buss" which master faders do not have.

Drew

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erant1 View Post
Periodically I do cover versions of songs, and I begin by importing the "original" into PT to use as a reference. Once I am near completion of my own version, I've of course inserted numerous compressors, EQ's etc. on the Master Fader. At that point, in order to make a comparison between the original version and my own, I have to individually bypass each plug-in on the Master Fader in order to hear the original version without the additional processing. I know I can't have two Master Faders with the same output (one with processing and one without), as PT won't allow this.

I'd appreciate any suggestions about an easy way to toggle back and forth.

Thanks!
If you happen to have some sort of Monitor Controller ( Central station, Avocet...) assign a different output to the "original" and input that into one of the sources. You can then toggle very easily. Also, if you have a Control 24.. the "pro tools sources" selector works great for this.
Dmazureks bussing technique is both effective and practical, whether for this specific function or many, many more. I don't know any "top shelf" mixers who do not employ this. good luck.. SB
Old 01-03-2009, 03:33 PM

Thanks, gentlemen. Both suggestions work and are greatly appreciated.