Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2012, 11:51 PM

Default Re: OSX Mountain Lion? [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep].

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamajack View Post
Now that Mac Pro should sell some Pumas!
OSX 10.1 requires PPC hardware
Old 06-17-2012, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PD-John View Post
I'm quite happy to stay on SL 10.6.8 for a while.. I'd rather a working and glitch-free PT system than a few extra OS features.
Glitch-Free?!

I'd love to see a glitch-free version of Pro Tools.

There's bugs all through 9.0.6 are you saying later versions are better? - ie. can I actually type a space when trying to search for/import files in the import dialogue?

That's one basic glitch that has been there since version 7 as far as I'm aware, yet it doesn't rate a fix ... apparently the workaround is to copy and paste your file names into the search field when importing files - great when your job revolves around importing thousands of sound effects into a session.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leddy View Post
Glitch-Free?!
Comparatively.

I'm not sure about the Import Audio issue as I don't use it much, but I've heard that the copy/paste workaround is common. There was a pretty big thread here a few months ago addressing this problem, you may find some other solutions there.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:03 AM

I donīt know what this thread is about: I run the newest version of PT and OS 10.7.4 (Lion). Everything works really great. Much greater than in the whole PT 9-era, where there are crash problems and problems during and after bounce.
I work every day professionally with it and itīs grand, maybe because i donīt mingle it with questionable interfaces or plug-ins. Iīm looking forward to mountain lion and am sure that Avid comes along with the update quite in time as they had with Lion.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:59 AM

Arrow Re: OSX Mountain Lion? [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep].

You have some options:

1. If you have a Mac, don't upgrade until you have to; no need to be bleeding edge

2. If you don't have a Mac and the new ones cannot be downgraded, ditch the very restrictive platform Apple gives you and get into Windows; no one is stopping you from installing older versions of Windows on a machine you built yourself

3. Ditch Pro Tools and get one of the dozen or so DAWs that are a lot less finicky about what they are running on
Old 06-18-2012, 08:01 AM

Pro Tools 10.2, HD6 runs just fine on 10.7.3 here. No problems.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:46 AM

Hey getz76, that was really helpful and completely new (sorry my sarcasm ;-))
You have some options:

„1. If you have a Mac, don't upgrade until you have to; no need to be bleeding edge“

I love to be bleeding edge. The blood shall flow and Iīm happy on this edge, although I have a tight studio schedule. Everything works well.

„2. If you don't have a Mac and the new ones cannot be downgraded, ditch the very restrictive platform Apple gives you and get into Windows; no one is stopping you from installing older versions of Windows on a machine you built yourself“

Very restrictive is the reason, why the things are running that well, if you decide yourself for it. Even if nothing would work on my actual Apple comp I would never I would never climb down to a Windows system. Windows users often donīt really want to interact with technology, they are often disgusted but have to use it. That attitude is reflected in the configuration of their systems, a place of mess quite often.
Sorry, Windows only exists yet because itīs cheap. By the way why should I build my comp when there are companies who does this for me. Instead I cook a delicious meal.

„3. Ditch Pro Tools and get one of the dozen or so DAWs that are a lot less finicky about what they are running on“

One thing is always clear as the name states: Pro Tools is a pro software, nothing for part-time Fruity Loops rap fans (mostly), etc. Itīs taking a half year to get into that workflow with customers without having the machine against you. When you are in because you earn your money with it, itīs a really wonderful software. We are all here to optimize that thing in an always fluctuating world.

Have a great day!
Old 06-19-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco1967 View Post
Sorry, Windows only exists yet because itīs cheap.
Sure, there's that. Oh, there's also that bit about it significantly outperforming Mac OS X in nearly all regards because ASIO is generally better implemented than CoreAudio. But those are just minor details. Use your platform and tools well, but dismissing the alternatives is amateur. Both work very well. You can continue to let the fanboy goggles get in the way of objective analysis, though. Enjoy.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getz76 View Post
Sure, there's that. Oh, there's also that bit about it significantly outperforming Mac OS X in nearly all regards because ASIO is generally better implemented than CoreAudio. But those are just minor details. Use your platform and tools well, but dismissing the alternatives is amateur. Both work very well. You can continue to let the fanboy goggles get in the way of objective analysis, though. Enjoy.
AISO implementation sucks dude what are u talking about - if Microsoft was really on top of it they would have implemented a standard audio program for all the user base and multiple hardware Manufactures way back on win95

I love my Mac (I just got it in Jan and would not want to go back) but I ran Win7 on PT9 and it worked great but I always ran with the interface as my playback engine I would not want to depend on a 3rd party software for stability ( u know how finicky PT is) AISO may work for u but there are sooo many hardware configurations out there I am sure that's it's not a good way to ensure repeat ability as far as stability (PT) is concerned

Not a strict fan boy but I do like the way apple does certain things (Microsoft must thinks so to bc they are going to release the new micro soft tablet soon / which is their first foray into hardware and O/S computer software / excluding the Xbox ) - Win 7 has come a long way and I use that o/s at work everyday - its nice to but I wouldn't go back to win on my recording setup
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
AISO may work for u but there are sooo many hardware configurations out there I am sure that's it's not a good way to ensure repeat ability as far as stability (PT) is concerned
I bought my first Mac in 1989. I am currently using a Mac Pro and a MacBook Pro. I prefer it, and Logic and Final Cut will not run on Windows.

But the statistics do not lie. Want the lowest latency, best plug-in performance, and best price-to-performance ratio? Then Windows is the best game in town. That is not saying that OS X is some unusable kludge, but I was responding to the statement that "Windows is only around because it is cheap." Yeah... not so much.