Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-03-2003, 08:08 AM

Default December 20 deadline approaches, and ...

As the Accel upgrade deadline draws near, I'm curious to know what "Accel" plug-ins [those created specifically for Accel or those whose performance is substantially better on an Accel card] are NOW available and working, and how do you like them?

thanks ...
Old 12-03-2003, 10:25 AM

Default Re: December 20 deadline approaches, and ...

I broke down and bought 3 Accel cards 90% of my PI's all work on Accel just fine, the rest use my regular process cards. I love it more tracks @ 96K. I can now do big mixes in 96K. It's amazing how powerfull they are.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:01 PM

Touchwood, that doesn't really asnwer the original question. Sure, the Accel cards have more power, maybe 160 to 17% of the HD cards. I have an HD7 rig and can do huge complex mixes already.

I have no need for 192K, in fact, there have recently been solid arguments made (by Dan Lavry and others) that 192K is a mistake, and that there are good technical reasons why 88.2 or 96K should sound better.

as for plugins, so far the only one i can see is still digi's (un inspiring) Impact. funny how they don't odder a demo, isn't it?

George Massenburg has stated that he MAY be able to release his long awaited compressor for Accel, but in order to do so he will have to "dumb it down." -even Accel chips aren't quite powerful enough. -Please note the word "May." there is no guarantee that this will happen, though my gut feeling is that George REALLY wants to bring this plugin to market and will do all he can to make it happen.

Of course, there will be Digi's ReVibe reverb plugin, but I can't get excited by anything Digi puts out. They have a pretty bad track-record of abandoning their own software whenever it becomes financially inconvenient for them to port it to a new hardware config. Some of us learn from the past, though they don't seem to understand that yet.

The one major reason for me to get, MAYBE, one Accel card is the possibility of Waves' getting their mastering plugins to run at 88.2K that would be a dream for me. -but no word so far from Waves.

even then, if you look at the numbers, there isn't a burning NEED to use the "upgrade" path. You won't be saving that much at all, digi will in fact make MORE money upgrading you than if you sold an HD on the used market and bought an Accel card from your dealer. You will save maybe $500, which isn't enough to justify a rash, "dedline" decision.

Not only that, but my guess is that AFTER the deadline, the street value of a used HD card will actually go back up a little. People are going to realize that, for most applications, two HD cards are a lot more powerful than one Accel card. Do the math!
Old 12-03-2003, 12:37 PM

Yes, Allan ... I thought pehaps I hadn't made myself clear.
As for power with my existing HD3 system, I seem to have plenty for the bulk of my needs.
My question concerns plugs which either:
a] require an Accel card OR
b] work better under Accel [for example, would the Waves Mastering Bundle work without perceptible latency at 44?48?96? ...]

thanks again ...
Old 12-03-2003, 03:06 PM

Sounds like just the Digi over rated compressor.......It's a waiste of money to upgrade at this point and I prefer outboard gear and an analog console with compressor in the 2 buss...........

Everyone in my area is skipping the upgrade because they just bought into the HD hype thinking it would last another year or two before upgrading again..........
Old 12-03-2003, 07:27 PM

[QUOTE]
I have an HD7 rig and can do huge complex mixes[QUOTE]

Nice to hear that you have such a large Digi investment Alan. From reading your posts it sounds like you hate digidesign and everything they've ever made.

[QUOTE]
You will save maybe $500, which isn't enough to justify a rash, "dedline" decision.[QUOTE]

That's assuming that they don't want the Impact Plug-in (I know you don't like it Alan but it's included in the upgrade and there's that $500 you're talking about). We like it - We have most every plug-in and each has it's place including the impact plug-in.

Old 12-03-2003, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Sounds like just the Digi over rated compressor
So it's true?
I might guess you're talking about Impact?
Is it truely over-rated?
Sorry for being off-topic, but I don't own an accel. so just checking...
Old 12-03-2003, 08:50 PM

Hey. Decomber 20 is my Birthday! Maybe I'll tell the wife what I would really, really like as a gift

Download free music at
http://www.nukmusic.com
nEVER uNDERESTIMATE kNOWLEDGE
Old 12-04-2003, 07:12 AM

Thanks for the replies ...
Quote:
My question concerns plugs which either:
a] require an Accel card OR
b] work better under Accel [for example, would the Waves Mastering Bundle work without perceptible latency at 44?48?96? ...]
Am I correct in assuming that Impact is the only currently available "Accel only" plug-in? Further, do latency problems still exist using the Waves Mastering Bundle with Accel?
Please advise ... and thanks ...
Old 12-04-2003, 08:17 AM

December 20 deadline approaches, and ...

... my Mix system will still keep on allowing me to make records.