Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 11-18-2010, 01:49 AM

Default PT9 Performance lacks vs. Logic 9 & Live 8

Howdy.

So far so good, PT9 running. - But it seems that PT9 is VERY hungry.
In comparison to Logic 9 and Live 8 I have, felt somewhat like..., half the power on my computer??

Tested with the Motu 828mk3 on my MacPro 1,1, 8GB, 2,66 GHz:

The performance difference between 44.1 KHz 24Bit and 48 KHz 24Bit isn't that much, .. but using only 5 virtual instruments (no hungry ones!!) causes setting 256 samples buffer for clean playback (ADC on short) but STILL overloads sometimes..
On Logic or Live these 5 instruments run (parallel) with nearly no CPU load (64 buffers...). On PT9 the average CPU-Load (256 buffers) is 10% but peaks to over 80% .. or to death of playback engine.
I think I can feel that raising buffers to 256 in PT9 doesn't cause that much "loose feel" while playing as 256 does in Logic... But .. hääääää???

For example the u-he "ace" in PT9 (with no other VI's opened, nor any Plugz, 256 buffer, 48KHz, 24Bit, ADC short) is not able to play more than 3 voices without kicking the CPU.
Yes, ok, the ace is one of the most hungry synths you can use (but the most analog sounding for me).. In Logic I can play 5 voices on 128 buffer (same instrument setting) without kicking nothing...

Another issue I recognized coincidentally is related to the graphics. I was observing the system-load window while playing back my testarrangement with the 5 VI's. To get a better view on my PT mixer I closed the plugin window (showing discodsp discovery). Suddenly the system load decreased a very large amount!! With plugin window open, the CPU had about 21% average load, after closing it fell on 10% average.. mmh. what's that?
The GUI of that plugin isn't animated, everything displayed is constant.
I can't imagine that my graphic-card (GT7300) is too powerless for DAW purposes, .. it's no 3D app. .. And, Logic & Live don't react in a similar way.
There the GUIs don't do nothing to system performance.

Is my system ill or do any of you have same experiences?
Old 11-18-2010, 08:38 AM

Default Re: PT9 Performance lacks vs. Logic 9 & Live 8

Try running one processor down from the maximum in the Playback Engine settings. This leave one whole core for any CPU spikes.

Not all RTAS plugs are coded the same. Some run smoother than others. Also in important to make sure your running the very latest plugin versions.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 11-19-2010, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
Try running one processor down from the maximum in the Playback Engine settings. This leave one whole core for any CPU spikes.
Uahhh. That works.. :) . Dropped one processor (altogether 4) and system is more stable. I even shrinked buffer to 128 samples!

But I don't understand that procedure. Now the system-load has nearly the same amount (avarage 12%) as if I ran 4 processors. mmh, mmh.

That foreseen I have the latest plugin versions! Maybe they need some more time to get the plugz on PT9? Lets wait.

For now I'm dealing with plugin internal quality switches to get my work done. When ready I'll raise the quality and record the synth-tracks soloed.

thanks for advice
Old 11-19-2010, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audifett View Post
Uahhh. That works.. :) . Dropped one processor (altogether 4) and system is more stable. I even shrinked buffer to 128 samples!

But I don't understand that procedure. Now the system-load has nearly the same amount (avarage 12%) as if I ran 4 processors. mmh, mmh.

That foreseen I have the latest plugin versions! Maybe they need some more time to get the plugz on PT9? Lets wait.

For now I'm dealing with plugin internal quality switches to get my work done. When ready I'll raise the quality and record the synth-tracks soloed.

thanks for advice
That's standard procedure for running Pro Tools.

Some plugins use resources independently of Pro Tools, so having one core free allows for some room to breathe. Plus, your OS and other background services now have some resources to run smoothly as well.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 11-19-2010, 01:58 AM

My Mac is a tank again!!!

That's the way I know it. Would have been a true shock to replace it after only 3 years of use.

I need to learn PT and related processes faster. It's a completely different and much more PRO world for me. Especially in sound matters. Opened up my ears. Although running native and in version .0.
The UAD Sound has ever been fascinating to me, and now even more. Seems like they are made for PT.
Ableton as well has been a sound-increase for my ears. yes although it's (only) a dance machine.
Those both new DAWs in combination run rock-stable, as far as I tested (and I did lotsa tests since monday..). no more delay or runtime issues in loop-mode. absolutely accurate.

goodbye Logic
Old 11-19-2010, 09:09 AM

Glad its fixed

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88