Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-11-2008, 10:22 AM

Default Problems With External Drive For Storage (Not Recording)

I recently purchased a Seagate external drive for my Acronis ProTools backups and having issues with it. It either doesn't recognize the drive it all or locks the PC up. If I disable all the USB ports and reboot it, it "might" find it the 1st time however it makes the PC run at a crawl. If I restart the PC, it locks it up until I unplug the drive. I am certain it's not the drive because I can use that drive on my other PCs with no problems and I have the same problem with my 1 gig thumb drive on this (my dedicated audio) PC. Seagate won't help me because the drive works fine on other drives. I have updated the bios on the motherboard that the tech support from the company I purchased it from suggested.

F.Y.I. -I also tried a Western Digital MyBook external drive and got the same results.

The PC is almost new so I can ship it back where it was purchased to be repaired but I was hoping I might get some suggestions here. I really don't want to give this PC up for two weeks and its works great except for this problem.

All help appreciated!
Old 01-11-2008, 10:27 AM

Default Re: Problems With External Drive For Storage (Not Recording)

Since the problem is related to the PC and not the drive, we will need more detailed information about the PC.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 01-11-2008, 11:25 AM

Hi spkguitar,

The PC is a Sweetwater brand Creative Station dedicated soley to running audio with Windows XP w/Service Pack 2. It contains a Pentium Dual Core 1.8 800 mhz processor, dual Seagate Glyph drives, Radeon X1550 video card and an Asus motherboard with the 945G chipset. The motherboard bios was recently updated from the Asus websight and is current. The PC is supposedly ProTools certified and tweaked for optomization. It has ran flawlessly other than this external drive thing.

If you need any additional info let me know. Thanks.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:33 AM

Yeah, it would help if you posted a sandra report. Instructions for posting details are at the end of the General Troubleshooting thread.

Most likely, though, it's a problem that none of us here are going to be able to help you with. It might even be a physical defect with the USB connectors on your motherboard. It's definitely a problem on the computer side of things since it happens with every device that you try.

Here's something; are you using a newer version of Pro Tools? One that has the MacDrive HFS+ abilities? If so, try turning off the MacDriveService before you plug the drive in and see if that helps.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Old 01-11-2008, 11:37 AM

I am running PT 7.3 but not 7.4. Does 7.3 have the MacDrive HFS+ abilities and if so, how do I turn it off? I am experiencing the same problem with other drives (Western Digital MyBook and a Toshiba thumb drive). Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:39 AM

Additional info - The USB ports work fine with other USB items (wireless keyboard, mouse, M-Audio midi controller and etc...)
Old 01-11-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Does 7.3 have the MacDrive HFS+ abilities
Yes.
Quote:
and if so, how do I turn it off?
cntl+alt=delete, click on the Processes tab, select select any of the items labeled MacDrive and click on the End Process button. That will only turn it off during the current windows session, if you wanted to completely disable it, you would need to turn it off as a startup item using msconfig and restart.