Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 11-01-2021, 08:36 AM

Default HDX Driver No Longer Shows after 2021.10 Install

So this morning I installed Pro Tools 2021.10 and the Driver download 2021.10 for my Mac Pro 2019 on Big Sur 11.6.

After installation and restarting the computer multiple times, and allowing all Avid stuff in my system preferences I could not get the HDX driver to show up in Audio MIDI Set-up (so of course not in Pro Tools). After searching around, I found this article:

HD Hardware Not Detected

When I type the command in Terminal, the HDX driver does show up and Pro Tools launches and I can move forward. However, when I reboot, it won't show unless I type the command in Terminal. This is bad because my studio is rented out to multiple engineers who I do not want messing with Terminal and I don't want to give my password to.

Later in the article, it says that if this is the case, to boot in recovery mode and force an update to the MacOS prelinked kernal. I followed all instructions and did this and I still no longer get the driver showing up when I reboot my computer.

I have never had this problem in the past. This is only after the latest 2021.10 update.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 11-01-2021, 09:18 AM

Default Re: HDX Driver No Longer Shows after 2021.10 Install

I had the same issue. I also noticed my UAD Apollo wasn't connecting anymore so I downloaded and reinstalled the UAD software and now hdx works on bootup.

Seems the hd installer is obviously messing something up.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-2021, 10:14 AM

We're having the same problem but on one Mac out of three... so far... all running HD Native cards. We have one system that's HDX-2 but I haven't updated it yet.

The HD Native system that won't update does have an Artist Mix attached, but we uninstalled the EUCON driver and tried again... no dice.

Reverted that Mac Pro back to 2021.7 and all is well.

System specs:

2019 Mac Pro Rack
OS 11.6
3.2GHz 16-Core Xeon W
48GB RAM
AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB Graphics (takes two slots, 3 & 4)
HD Native card in Slot 1
Old 11-01-2021, 11:17 AM

It's good to hear that I'm not the only one struggling with this issue.

I wonder... If we are not using an M1 mac, can we run the old HDX drivers in 2021.10? Those drivers were working fine for me in 2021.7. But I got so tired of all the graphic glitches of 2021.7 and other bugs, that I am ready to trade bugs for a few months (VCA graphic bug and others), but not being able to have the HDX driver load on bootup is a deal breaker.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 11-01-2021, 11:44 AM

I had problems with our Focusrite drivers not loading on new Mac Pros and got they email from Focusrite support. I'm going to try this to see if it helps with the Avid HD Driver.

Type each of the following commands (separately) in Terminal.

sudo chmod -Rf 755 /S*/L*/E*
sudo chmod -Rf 755 /L*/E*
sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /S*/L*/E*
sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /L*/E*

This will reset the permissions. Next, enter the below command to rebuild kext cache:

sudo kextcache -i /

Then restart the computer for the changes to take effect. Once rebooted, manually load the kext with the following command:

sudo kextload /Library/Extensions/FocusritePCIe.kext

Obviously you don't want to do the last step, which is only for the Focusrite gear, but I would certainly do the kext rebuilding.

I'm going to try it here.
Old 11-01-2021, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Seaberg View Post

sudo chmod -Rf 755 /S*/L*/E*
sudo chmod -Rf 755 /L*/E*
sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /S*/L*/E*
sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /L*/E*
I used to think Focusrite had decent support. This **** is sloppy. They don't know for sure what else those wildcard paths might match on a customer's system. Be awfully careful wildcarding stuff as root. Instead of wildcards they should be saying

sudo chmod -Rf 755 /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chmod -Rf 755 /Library/Extensions
sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /Library/Extensions

And here they are clobbering the kext bundles, every God damn bundle from Apple and every third party installed on your system and setting everything to 755, that's granting execute permission to a bunch of plist and other files that are normally not executable. Just generally a poor security idea. At a minimum they could target these changes to their own kexts.
Old 11-01-2021, 02:21 PM

It solved my problem with their Red 4 hardware, but I did this as I was building our new Mac Pro racks and hadn't done a lot of anything else yet.

What would you recommend Darryl? Use the commands you suggested? Just want to try rebuilding the kext cache...

thanks
Old 11-01-2021, 04:33 PM

Eric - what macOS version was this on? What exact driver package were you installing?

There is much wrong here. But no I would not just run the examples I gave to correct the wildcarding stupidity.

And oh well here explains where Focusrite get their support advice from, the muppets copied and pasted from this generically poor advice:

https://www.travelertechie.com/2019/...nd-repair.html

If I suspected kext's (and all the actual files that make up a kext bundle) had the wrong permissions I'd be looking at what is wrong and not clobbering everything, setting incorrect permissions on many files. But what/why is setting wrong permissions, a broken installer? This should just not happen often.

For fancier debugging if permissions were broadly screwed up, I would build a script that looked for the permissions on items within the kext bundles, things like directories and binary components being executable, and other files not being). As a trivial example, show me all /System Extensions where directories are not the expected 755 permission (should return no output).

find /System/Library/Extensions -type d ! -perm 755

Now repeat that for files (type f) combined with different name wild cards to check say that plist and executable and other files in these bundles are the permissions expected. There may be utilities floating around that do help do this at a higher level.

But I'm not going to write a script to do that since I don't even get what we are looking for, I suspect this permission stuff is a red herring, only there because Focusrite copied it from the link above, if a vendor has a broken installer leaving incorrect file permissions just check their kext file permissions.

---

For most people ideally if there is a device not working/apparently not present issue they should to start with running kextstat (or kmutil on macOS 11 or later) and seeing if the relevant kext is loaded or not. The manual page for kmutil give important info about retriggering security approval for kexts.

If a kext is not loaded check System Report to see if there is any corresponding hardware being detected (it may not have an easy to identify name, but you can usually infer what it is, say by showing up as a USB or PCIe device). If nothing is showing up in System Report it's more likely a hardware issue, not the kext, or security settings.

There is a know bug that was fixed in macOS 10.15.1 that was in earlier 10.15 releases, that caused the prelinked kernel not to build/install properly. I wonder if this might be related to needing to us "kextcache -i /" but I need to think that through. The warning here is kext cache is not just cache, it also includes this re-linking (building of the binary) macOS kernel so at next boot the core most trusted/necessary kexts are present in that kernel. Something goes wrong there and your system is no longer bootable, Apple warns people not to run kextcache, and here it is a support organization handing out instructions to people to just run kextcache, where are any customer warnings about risks here? And the issue with changes in macOS 11 and later means support organizations should be asking about that, and likely giving different directions to debug issues.

Anyhow show me a system with a specific problem (I mean catch me when I have time and let me log in as an admin) and I would help debug what is happening. But I just friggin hate (can you tell ) the advice handed out here by Focusrite. Am I crazy, I expect support organizations to actually look at problems with drivers not loading, understand them and help get any problems addressed in installers or hopefully as safe as possible instruction back to users on how to work around problems in their drivers/installers.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-01-2021 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-01-2021, 08:11 PM

I had the same issue. In my case, I installed PT with the 2021.7 installer, then used the separate Driver Installer file. I went back to 2021.7 (along with its driver) and got the interface to show up again. So I tried one more time but this time I used the Driver Installer file that came within the PT installer. Whether or not that difference was elemental, it worked the second time around and has been fine since.
Old 11-01-2021, 11:30 PM

I also had a big mission getting it to recognise the card. I did a lot of those terminal codes and restarts holding down the power button and changing permissions - then re-installing the drivers what felt like five more times and then it finally said 'oh yeah - here really is a card there'. Not ideal. But it's amazing now it's working.