Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2013, 07:12 AM

Default Re: Need help customizing c24 cables - help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Then that you don't need a single DB-25 cable connected to the C|24.

OK next problem...

Darryl
Thanks again Darryl,

That sure simplified things when I took a look at a C24 back panel view!

Can you tell me about the internal talkback mic? Can you route it to any C24 output or is the output dedicated? I would like to send the internal talk back to my headphone amp.

- John
www.icedrum.com
Old 08-15-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John J. View Post
Thanks again Darryl,

That sure simplified things when I took a look at a C24 back panel view!

Can you tell me about the internal talkback mic? Can you route it to any C24 output or is the output dedicated? I would like to send the internal talk back to my headphone amp.

- John
This would normally be done via the monitor section of the C|24, which you are not using. There is a separate line level talkback slate output on the cue output DB-25 and you can do whatever you want with that. Again you should try to read the manual to understand the slate output--but which I recall is not terribly well explained. I have never used that/seen it used, but it's easy to just play with and see if it will do what you want.

"My" headphone amp as in you own it and the talent uses it for their cue mix? or as in a headphone amp for the mixer/engineer, I.e. are you worried about getting talkback going to the talent's headphone and/or worried about hearing 'side tone' of the control room talkback in the control room headphones? What exact headphone amp? Where is that signal coming from? Via a monitor controller cue mix path? What exact monitor controller? (Ok you said "stereo switcher", so it is probably not a monitor controller with any if its own talkback or cue mix capability).
Old 08-15-2013, 02:00 PM

D-"My" headphone amp as in you own it and the talent uses it for their cue mix?

J-Yes - Rane headphone amp used to send 6 headphone sends to vocal booth, floor headphones.

D-Where is that signal coming from?

J- Looking to dedicate 4 custom stereo cables from the Apogee Symphony 16 analog out to TRS inputs in the Rane so I can create individual cue mixes in ProTools to send to artists' headphones.

D-What exact monitor controller?

J-Again, looking to bypass audio to/from the C24 as much as possible, so looking to again dedicate a stereo output from the Apogee directly into my power amp, and for now controlling monitor level with Apogee dial on front of unit. When the budget allows I'll look into a dedicated controller like Cranesong that won't degrade the sound quality of the Symphony.

D-Ok you said "stereo switcher", so it is probably not a monitor controller with any if its own talkback or cue mix capability

J-Correct, just a simple switcher with stereo feeds coming from both sets of monitors I can choose between.

Next question - in the manual I'm not finding info so far as to which signals feed the meter bridge? Will the 24 channels of meters only be available if I was using line outs from the Apogee? Thanks

- John
www.icedrum.com
Old 08-15-2013, 02:13 PM

Meter? Those meters are driven by Pro Tools. There is no analog or other signal input that drives them.

Darryl
Old 08-15-2013, 02:37 PM

And yep your Rane does not have any internal mixing so the talkback in headphones option you have is to do that via your Pro Tools cue mixes. Feed the c|24 talkback slate output to one of the line ins on your interfaces and add it to those mixes. Hopefully the slate mutes OK. Like I said, never played with that. But 30 minutes messing around with a soldering iron and Pro Tools would answer all questions.

OK so at most you need one DB-25 cable with a single lonely mono TRS connector hanging off it. You might also be better off with a deprecate talkback mic/preamp.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Meter? Those meters are driven by Pro Tools. There is no analog or other signal input that drives them.

Darryl
So all meters working in a Protools project on computer screen are sent back via Ethernet to C24 to display on corresponding meter bridge channels?

- John
www.icedrum.com
Old 08-15-2013, 03:02 PM

yes. As the c24 manual should make clear. This box is nothing but a big dumb mouse that somebody thought it was a good idea to stick some preamp and monitor control stuff in.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:37 PM

But better than squinting non-stop at a computer monitor with your mouse griping a little mouse all day?

By the way D. thanks for your responses, learning alot from your infos and saving money on cables! Cheers.

- John
www.icedrum.com
Old 08-17-2013, 08:49 AM

Next questions...as I continue to map out my C24 / Apogee Symphony i/o, it ends up I will require some additional cabling i/o with the C24.

As Darryl suggested, since the Apogee will completely bypass the C24, if I want to use the C24 internal talkback mic, I will need to connect the C24 cue output to send a mono feed to the Apogee analog input and create a slate track in any Pro Tools project requiring me to talkback to artists' headphones.

I've now mapped that I'll also need stereo returns from my Mac Tower for hearing audio when not using Pro Tools (FCP/iTunes, etc.). Similarly I'll need stereo returns from bell HD receiver when watching satellite TV on the 40" ceiling mounted between the JBL monitors.

For these 2 stereo returns into the C24 should I use the External Stereo in to connect the Mac output and Bell receiver outputs? Since the C24 originally was not sending a master output to my Carver power amp, it ends up the amp can receive the master stereo XLR send from the Apogee Symphony, as well as a stereo 1/4 input from the C24. To feed the amp's 1/4 inch inputs should I use the C24 Control room out? O should I bring these 2 stereo sources into the C24 Submix in section and sent to the amp via Submix out? Thanks again.

- John
www.icedrum.com
Old 08-22-2013, 11:52 AM

Anyone? Thanks. C24 arrived via Fedex today...

- John
www.icedrum.com