Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-04-2009, 09:45 AM
Avid

Default Re: Macbook Pro - Make the most of your I/O Options

Quote:
so there is a benefit to splitting the disks and the 003 onto seperate firewire ports.
Yes - they are then on completely separate busses. The FW800 and FW400 ports built into the Mac share the same bus. By using the Expresscard you can put the interface and drives on separate busses - it improves overall throughput and reduces firewire related issues.

You can use FW800 drives, no problem and, if they're on their own bus (drives on the FW800 bus, interface connected to the Expresscard) you'll generally see better throughput than using FW400 drives, but this can vary quite a bit from drive to drive.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:18 AM

Question, instead of FW800 ExpressCard for the Drives, can you do eSata ExpressCard for the drives?
Old 02-04-2009, 02:10 PM

gentlemen -

Big thanks for your input, especially the digi official stance, I wish I'd known this earlier.

I'll buy a firewire card straight away.

sorry to respond to a question with a question but are there any firewire 400 and 800 express cards (I've seen the one mentioned earlier in this thread for the 400) that digidesign say "these are the ones we know get the best results)

I'd like to post the same question on firewire 400 and 800 external disks and enclosures, what are the ones that digi design say " we would use these for the best results. "

Great input so far.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:01 PM

These are brilliant for using with Pro Tools, I cannot recommend these drives highly enough, I have a 500 GB which I use for Pro Tools audio, and I have just bought another one as I am starting too run out of space.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Apple-Mac-1-5T...1%7C240%3A1318

There are smaller models, but I decided to go the full hog and get this!!!!

These drives are very quiet and very fast and reliable too.

Russ
Old 02-04-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbears1 View Post
Question, instead of FW800 ExpressCard for the Drives, can you do eSata ExpressCard for the drives?
NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Your computer 17" macbook will crash hard at 26 minutes.

Go ahead..... try it..... I dare you......
Ah ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaaa!!!!!!!!

No..... Really.... Don't do it!

Use the siig 400 or 800 in the express slot.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:49 AM

I'm not planning on using e-sata cards, that was just a question from another guy - good to know though.

more interested now in the benifits of getting a %100 digi approved express card for either FW400 or FW800 disks and getting a recommendation on if the FW400 or FW800 would be a better choice according to digi and finally a disk/enclosure that digi say will be %100 supported/compatible.

Had some great user experience recommendations which I've book marked and looking into now.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:56 AM
Avid

Quote:
You could, but we've not tested them, and my ad-hoc testing and tests from other techs show mixed results. Some get them to work great, others (like me) had no end of issues. This was awhile go (6+ months) so maybe the esata cards/drivers have gotten better since then.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:59 AM
Avid

Quote:
sorry to respond to a question with a question but are there any firewire 400 and 800 express cards (I've seen the one mentioned earlier in this thread for the 400) that digidesign say "these are the ones we know get the best results)
Unfortunately not - we have only hearsay about mixed FW400/800 cards so I would probably advise against using them assuming you want a 'known quantity'. They possibly would work great, I just don't have enough info to say one way or the other.

Quote:
I'd like to post the same question on firewire 400 and 800 external disks and enclosures, what are the ones that digi design say " we would use these for the best results. "
We do not officially recommend any brand - anything with an Oxford chipset should work great and, personally, I use OWC Mercury drives.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:01 AM

Very interested in what

a.) firewire 400 express cards digi class as "safe" or "supported"
b.) firewire 800 express cards digi class as "safe" or "supported"
c.) if I get a firewire 800 card is that recommended over a 400 card in terms of both performance and stability
d.) what brands of disks and caddies do digi design class as "safe" or "supported"

A side issue question

I was looking at 1 and 2U rack solutions for disk storage so I could keep my firewire disks all together in my rack and found a product like this
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-...Wire_USB2_JBOD

This is just a jbod array and has a firewire port for each disk would something like this be safe to use or does digi design have any comment on it ?

That is just a bonus questions as something like that would fit my needs VERY well, much more than 3 individual caddies.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:02 AM
Avid

Quote:
more interested now in the benifits of getting a %100 digi approved express card
I just wanted to point out that 'we' (Digidesign) do not officially qualify any expresscards at the moment.

I am only recommending what I have personal experience with (and enough info from other users) to believe I can safely recommend will work without issues.