Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2006, 02:36 AM

Default TC Electronic MD3 Multiband Dynamics

I've been looking for a multiband compressor for mastering for a while. I saw that TC Electronic is coming soon with a TDM version of the MD3 multiband dynamics from their System 6000. There's also a Powercore version available for a while.

Has someone used the original MD3 from the System 6000 or the Powercore version? What are your experiences, weaknesses/strenghts? Do you thinks it's better/worse than Waves C4/LinMB or McDSP MC2000? Any other suggestions for multiband dynamics?

Studio Engineering | Live Engineering | Location Recording | Composing
Old 01-30-2006, 03:15 AM

Default Re: TC Electronic MD3 Multiband Dynamics

I've used it quite a lot on the System 6000. The EQ component is EXCELLENT within the 6000 in that you can boost and boost without digital nastiness. Hopefuly the TDM version will be the same. It's certainly not a character EQ - it's very clean and invisible. The dynamics too are as inconspicuous as can be.

The only reason I didn't use it more on the 6000 was the inability to automate it easily like a TDM plugin. If the TDM plugin is bit for bit like the 6000 with full automatbility, then they'll have themselves a winner there!

This isn't really the mastering tool to breath life into an anemic production, but to polish something made with the right colors already, it's great.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:43 AM

Seems to be a giant leap over MAster X (3+5). A pity
ster X 5 was not ported to HD/Accel.
But...MD4 is 4 band, right?

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT Ultimate Native 2023.3 - Mac Mini M1 16GB RAM - Mac Os Ventura 13.2 - 2 192 IO Digidesign Digital

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 2008 16GB RAM

Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I've been looking for a multiband compressor for mastering for a while. I saw that TC Electronic is coming soon with a TDM version of the MD3 multiband dynamics from their System 6000. There's also a Powercore version available for a while.

Has someone used the original MD3 from the System 6000 or the Powercore version? What are your experiences, weaknesses/strenghts? Do you thinks it's better/worse than Waves C4/LinMB or McDSP MC2000? Any other suggestions for multiband dynamics?
It sounds and works exactly like the one in System 6000, - and the PoCo-version for that matter.
Yes, its bit for bit identical.
No, I dont think there are anything else that sounds as good as the MD3 when we talk multiband comps.

I´ve alwayes thought that the MD4 was a bit of overkill, - then again some might not agree.

Anyway IMO, the MD3 and Brickwall Limiter is a far cry from the X3-5´s of the world.

Euro-Sound Studio
www.euro-sound.org
Old 01-30-2006, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:

It sounds and works exactly like the one in System 6000, - and the PoCo-version for that matter.
Yes, its bit for bit identical.
No, I dont think there are anything else that sounds as good as the MD3 when we talk multiband comps.

I´ve alwayes thought that the MD4 was a bit of overkill, - then again some might not agree.

Anyway IMO, the MD3 and Brickwall Limiter is a far cry from the X3-5´s of the world.
I know Bob Katz for one prefers the sound of the MD4 over the MD3. I would also like to know if the multiband compressors crossover points have linear phase filters? Although I haven't heard the MD3 or MD4, when listening/using the MasterX multiband comp, you could hear the crossover points. I only used it for radio production & never for mastering purely for this reason.

Matt

www.matthewgraymastering.com

Brisbane Australia
Old 01-30-2006, 03:03 PM

Quote:

I know Bob Katz for one prefers the sound of the MD4 over the MD3. I would also like to know if the multiband compressors crossover points have linear phase filters? Although I haven't heard the MD3 or MD4, when listening/using the MasterX multiband comp, you could hear the crossover points. I only used it for radio production & never for mastering purely for this reason.

Matt
Cant speak for Bob Katz obviosly ;-)

Forget everything you know about the MasterX or Finalizer. there really is no comparison, belive me you´ll want to use it for mastering when you get your hands on it.
- one thing youll notice is that the x-over is smooth, - actually its not the first thing notice because when MasterX, - like the Waves stuff is messing up you mix from the get-go, MD3 dont.

Btw,: This is not new-gear frency, - I´ve been using the MD3 for over a year now, first on the PoCo and now on HD.

Euro-Sound Studio
www.euro-sound.org
Old 02-01-2006, 05:44 PM

Quote:

Cant speak for Bob Katz obviosly ;-)

Forget everything you know about the MasterX or Finalizer. there really is no comparison, belive me you´ll want to use it for mastering when you get your hands on it.
- one thing youll notice is that the x-over is smooth, - actually its not the first thing notice because when MasterX, - like the Waves stuff is messing up you mix from the get-go, MD3 dont.

Btw,: This is not new-gear frency, - I´ve been using the MD3 for over a year now, first on the PoCo and now on HD.
Hi PAM,

Does that mean you have been a beta tester for the HD version? I tried to get some clarification from TC about the Brickwall Limiter algorithm. They state that it should be the same algorithm as used in the TC6000's Brickwall2 limiter. But then why isn't the HD or PoCo version labelled Brickwall2? It seems from discussions with Bob K that BW2 sounds markedly improved over the original BW. Some clarification would be great. Also TC said it would be released by Jan 2006 we are now Feb any ideas when it will be released?

Matt

www.matthewgraymastering.com

Brisbane Australia
Old 02-01-2006, 08:02 PM

Just to make note:
MD4 is only available on the 6000 still. Off the top of my head, the MD4 has phase linear cross overs and the MD3 doesn't (but I might be wrong on that).

Brickwall 2 is VASTLY better than Brickwall 1 which I only ever found useful for its intersample limiting. Brickwall 2 stands its own against any high end digital limiter.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:27 PM

If it's superior to the L3 I'll purchase I hope TC stops the delay
Old 02-01-2006, 11:56 PM

L3 is different again, being a multiband, phase compensated limiter. Does anyone make something that directly competes with this?

While L3 is great for what it does, I often find myself using L2 or Oxford Limiter (or TC Brickwall 2) for the confidence of knowing that they're single band devices. Horses for courses.

But now back to the MD3 thread - sorry to hijak.