Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 02-06-2018, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Questions about Avid Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Anz View Post
Yep.. I've see this for a long time. The fader movements on the Artist Mixes are not as smooth as they should be. The S3 is a better but... I had a Presonus Faderport that honestly wrote smoother automation passes. But, it obviously can't do as much as the Artist Mix or S3 which is why I eventually switched to Eucon surfaces.

Let's be reasonable for a second here.. in that video the automation passes in his demo are a bit more dramatic then typical.

so, while the Artist Mix may not be as smooth is it something that would really be a factor?

I don't miss the Faderport at all.
My point was about the 1st video, regarding attention on plugins. That's what you guys were talking about. I added the other 2 to show the OTHER differences between the "old" and supposedly "new." I don't understand why, if they already had this kid of feature, they wouldn't include it in their "new & IMPROVED" Eucon feature.

I have never understood why any manufacturer would drop a great feature to add a different great feature. The entire concept of forums, surveys & market research is to see what the users want and NEED! Why should you have to choose between feature sets from the same manufacturer?

If all 3 of those areas were superior in the Command 8/D-Command/ICON they should have migrated into the Eucon feature set. THAT, to me anyway, would be truly IMPROVED.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyplayerG View Post
My point was about the 1st video, regarding attention on plugins.
-- Agreed, this was a great feature. Hopefully they will bring it back soon. newer doesn't always equal better. =)
Old 02-08-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
-- Agreed, this was a great feature. Hopefully they will bring it back soon. newer doesn't always equal better. =)
Amen! I don't understand WHY they dropped this feature in the 1st place. Did you ever work out your issue with group assignment on The Dock? I tried this on my MC Control and it worked just fine. Granted, I'm on Nuendo, but there shouldn't be a difference on that process in PT, right? Or, is this another feature dropped, like the 4 faders to 1 attention fader on the The Dock?
Old 02-08-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyplayerG View Post
Amen! I don't understand WHY they dropped this feature in the 1st place. Did you ever work out your issue with group assignment on The Dock? I tried this on my MC Control and it worked just fine. Granted, I'm on Nuendo, but there shouldn't be a difference on that process in PT, right? Or, is this another feature dropped, like the 4 faders to 1 attention fader on the The Dock?

I haven't quite figured out the multiple group assigning yet. The best I came up with was just hitting the group tile on the dock and then going track by track and adding it to the desired group.

There is of course another new possibility. With the addition of track presets in PT 2018 I can always just create a track preset with all of my group/color/output assignments/ect. and just apply the template to the desired tracks.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
I haven't quite figured out the multiple group assigning yet. The best I came up with was just hitting the group tile on the dock and then going track by track and adding it to the desired group.

There is of course another new possibility. With the addition of track presets in PT 2018 I can always just create a track preset with all of my group/color/output assignments/ect. and just apply the template to the desired tracks.
I Actually posted this thread on the Artist Series Forum: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=397017 because I had found an entirely new wrinkle on this subject. The group assign process between the MC Control & the Mix appears to be different.

I run this process on the control,

1) Select Channels & link them.
2) Press the Group Knob
3) Press knob 1 to select slot 1
4) Press whatever knob has the group channel that I want on it
5) Those channels are now assigned to that group IN SLOT ONE.

I run this process on the Mix,

1) Select Channels & link them.
2) Press the Shift + Group Knob
3) Press knob 1 to select Slot 1
4) Press whatever knob has the group channel that I want on it
5) Those channels are now assigned to that group but they come up in Slot2!

I canNOT figure out why it won't go into slot 1 as directed. I can't get it to do this on either of my 2 Mix units, so, it can't be a defect. There has to be a different procedure. But THERE IS NOTHING IN THE MANUAL AT ALL to help you figure it out. At present you're the only person talking to me about this.

I've had almost 85 views and not one user has responded. This is the kind of stuff that drives me crazy about forums. You could go months waiting for a reply!
Old 02-09-2018, 06:22 PM

I THINK I figured it out the difference between the Mix procedure & the MC's. You have to push the Slot 1 knob twice before hitting the group knob to get the Mix to send the group assignment to Slot 1.

I don't understand why. You don't have to hit the Slot 1 knob twice on the MC Control to make it engage. But, apparently, the 1st hit on the Mix just puts it in Config mode and the 2nd hit is actually selecting Slot 1 to enter the group selection.

In any case, I really don't understand why either procedure isn't the same for the Dock!