Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 06-30-2013, 02:12 AM

Default XPAND2, MiniGrand and other plugins not active on recent PT 11 install

My 12 year old Kurzweil K2600X Workstation/Synth has a very old and dated sound engine. Upon purchasing PT 10, I was very pleased with the quality of the XPAND2 and MiniGrand Virtual Instruments. I was immediately transported to a different level of creativity and the possibility of exciting future musical endeavors. However, when I successfully downloaded PT 11 and played back recent compositions, I immediately noticed that the EXPAND2 and Mini Grand and some other included plugins were not available in playback in PT11. They were in the channel strip, but were darkened out and unavailable.

When I click on one of the the plugins in the channel strip I get this: "The Plugin could not be active because the plugin is not present in the plugins folder"!

Found this in the PT 11 readme:

"Custom location for Avid Virtual Instrument content is not remembered
When installing Avid Virtual Instruments, if you choose a custom location for the content, that location is not remembered, resulting in
error messages when you try to use a virtual instrument plug-in (Boom, Mini Grand, or Xpand) that references a “.big” content file. The
location is not remembered after quitting and relaunching Pro Tools.
To avoid this error, move or reinstall the Avid Virtual Instrument content to the default location."

Uh, what is the "default" location? The Avid folder which I already attempted? Lordy!

Any thoughts from anyone having a similar circumstance? Thanks in advance!

Late night addendum(b) : Looking in my Air Creative Collection file in my download folder shows an interesting detail that might be responsible. I may have inadvertently downloaded the Windoze version of the software! Possible issue?? We'll see.....we'll see.

Captain's log, final entry:

I am officially an idiot. I DID download the wrong Air Creative Collection file. Mac, not Windows, you imbecile!!!!!

Last edited by insightsono; 06-30-2013 at 03:11 AM. Reason: I am an idiot
Old 06-30-2013, 03:25 AM

Default Re: XPAND2, MiniGrand and other plugins not active on recent PT 11 install

Pro Tools 11 is 64-bit, and so are the new Xpand, Mini Grand etc. instruments - hence they have to be installed separately from the new "AIR Creative Collection 11" installer available online. The ones you have installed can only be used in Pro Tools 10. So basically, you got to have two versions of each instrument installed - that is, one 32-bit version of Xpand for use in 10, another 64-bit version of Xpand for use in 11.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:43 AM

Default Re: XPAND2, MiniGrand and other plugins not active on recent PT 11 install

Appreciate the info!