Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2022, 02:24 PM
Avid

Default Re: Cannot update Dock Firmware?!!

Is this a newer Dock. There was a known issue with some memory chips that fail the firmware update. Only fix is to return to Avid for a replacement, Sorry.
Old 08-04-2022, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
Is this a newer Dock. There was a known issue with some memory chips that fail the firmware update. Only fix is to return to Avid for a replacement, Sorry.
Hi Eddie,
Is there a serial number range for the affected units? I've just bought one, and am having the same issue with firmware updates. I want to be sure I can get a replacement that doesn't have the issue. Major PITA.
Cheers
Stephen
Old 08-04-2022, 06:42 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure how old this borrowed unit is. The Avid product label on the box says 061021
Old 08-04-2022, 10:42 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by morls View Post
Hi Eddie,
Is there a serial number range for the affected units? I've just bought one, and am having the same issue with firmware updates. I want to be sure I can get a replacement that doesn't have the issue. Major PITA.
Cheers
Stephen
Sorry about this. Please open a ticket with Avid or if its very new contact your dealer.
Old 08-04-2022, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Sorry about this. Please open a ticket with Avid or if its very new contact your dealer.
Avid must know which serial numbers are affected. It's not good enough to say "Sorry about this" and then expect the consumer to go through all the hassle of return and repair.

Why don't Avid do a recall? Is it because of the cost involved? Why put this burden of time, cost and repair on the customer? Is it because at least the company makes the sale before the fault is addressed?

A responsible company who respect their customers would recall a faulty product before the sale.
Old 08-04-2022, 07:40 PM
Avid

Default Re: Cannot update Dock Firmware

Unfortunately, Avid were supplied with a batch of memory chips that were used in Docks over the past year or more. Of the Docks shipped in the past 2 years we are seeing a few with the failed chip. This is currently a small percentage. A recall wouldn't make sense and disrupt many more customers(unnecessarily), and it would delay the few users that do have the issue. Again, I'm sorry this happened, we didn't do it intentionally, we didn't know they were going to fail, and have a system in place to get this sorted for anyone that experiences this.
Old 08-04-2022, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Avid were supplied with a batch of memory chips that were used in Docks over the past year or more. Of the Docks shipped in the past 2 years we are seeing a few with the failed chip. This is currently a small percentage. A recall wouldn't make sense and disrupt many more customers(unnecessarily), and it would delay the few users that do have the issue.
I don't understand the logic here. You're saying that you got a bad batch of chips, but a recall wouldn't make sense. Why wouldn't this make sense? You're selling a product that you know is faulty. I presume you would know exactly which units have the faulty chip installed. Wouldn't it make sense to contact dealers and say "If you have any Docks in stock with serial numbers in the range xxxxx - yyyyy, do not sell them as they are faulty. Please return to Avid"

Also, how would a recall disrupt "many more customers unnecessarily"? Those customers who got Docks without the fault are not affected. Those who, like me, purchased a brand new flashy BRICK are extremely disrupted, and out of pocket!

If you had contacted dealers and told them which serial numbers are affected, I wouldn't be wasting my time asking these questions but instead, would have a working Dock with upgraded firmware.

Quote:
Again, I'm sorry this happened, we didn't do it intentionally, we didn't know they were going to fail, and have a system in place to get this sorted for anyone that experiences this.
This doesn't add up. You know which batch of chips were faulty, and you also (presumably) know which units these chips were installed into. How can you say you didn't know they would fail? Of course they will fail, because they have faulty chips in them.

It's insulting to say you didn't know they would fail. It's also laughable to say that you have a system in place to get this sorted. It should never have happened.

In the likely case there is not another working Dock in Australia, this brick I bought will need to be sent overseas for repairs of an issue that yuou knew existed but did nothing about. This will take at least a month. What a joke. This is a truly excruciating process, and I wish I'd never bought anything from Avid.
Old 08-05-2022, 07:59 AM
Avid

Please reread my post. We do not know which chips are faulty and out of thousands only a few have failed. To recall 4000 Docks to check and repair would leave 4000 customers without Docks for an extended period of time. Again...we do not know which serial numbers are affected other than the past two years. This only effects a small number of customers and an even smaller number have to return their unit for repair as within 30 days of purchase you get an instant replacement.
I understand your frustration, but your assumptions are not true.
Old 08-05-2022, 08:28 AM
Avid

Locking this thread and pinning to the top of the forum. If you have a Dock that cannot update the firmware, please open a ticket with Avid. If its within 30 days, you can get a direct replacement from either Avid or your dealer. If it’s outside of the 30 days since original purchase, we have a program to exchange the faulty unit as well.
Closed Thread