Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 04-24-2021, 11:24 AM

Default Best Graphics Card for Latest Mac Pro ?

I'm planning to upgrade my old Mac 5,1 to the recently released Mac Pro. I had an gigantic nightmare with the graphics card that came with that computer until I finally figured out it was a major part of the problem and replaced it. I don't want to repeat that experience but Avid doesn't seem to list any approved graphics cards in their compatibility section anymore.

Does anyone know what graphic card(s) would work well with a current ProTools HDX system ?

Thanks in advance !
Old 04-24-2021, 10:41 PM

Default Re: Best Graphics Card for Latest Mac Pro ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rus5 View Post
I'm planning to upgrade my old Mac 5,1 to the recently released Mac Pro. I had an gigantic nightmare with the graphics card that came with that computer until I finally figured out it was a major part of the problem and replaced it. I don't want to repeat that experience but Avid doesn't seem to list any approved graphics cards in their compatibility section anymore.

Does anyone know what graphic card(s) would work well with a current ProTools HDX system ?

Thanks in advance !
The 580x mpx module for 71 macpro works well.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2021, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
The 580x mpx module for 71 macpro works well.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
The W5700X does have four extra TB3 ports which can be handy, though :)
Old 04-25-2021, 07:35 AM

In my opinion, you don't need a super fancy graphics card for what we do. I think that is a waste of money. Last fall I was looking at the Radeon Pro 580X with 8GB of GDDR5 memory. It can easily run two 4k displays at 60hz and has two HDMI ports on the back. You can even run a 3rd 4k display on thru and Thunderbolt dock if needed. More than adequate for what we need to do in ProTools and it only takes up a single PCIe slot. Anything bigger, they take up a lot more space, withe their massive heat syncs on them. The only advantage on the larger cards, is that they have 4 additional Thunderbolt 3 ports on the back of them like the Radeon W5700X with 16GB of GDDR6 memory.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 04-25-2021, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
In my opinion, you don't need a super fancy graphics card for what we do. I think that is a waste of money. Last fall I was looking at the Radeon Pro 580X with 8GB of GDDR5 memory. It can easily run two 4k displays at 60hz and has two HDMI ports on the back. You can even run a 3rd 4k display on thru and Thunderbolt dock if needed. More than adequate for what we need to do in ProTools and it only takes up a single PCIe slot. Anything bigger, they take up a lot more space, withe their massive heat syncs on them. The only advantage on the larger cards, is that they have 4 additional Thunderbolt 3 ports on the back of them like the Radeon W5700X with 16GB of GDDR6 memory.

G
The W5700X does increase the number of TB3 busses by two, not just the number of ports. Out of the box, the Mac 7.1 isn’t particularly well spec’d with USB/TB3 ports. I’ve found the extra ports useful.

I agreed the W5700x card is over the top for just PT/DAW use but well worth it if you also use video/photo/3D apps. The 580x is very low spec here.
Old 04-26-2021, 08:14 PM

Hey Marsdy ! How ya doin' ??

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm coming to the same conclusion that the default 580x is fine. But it's not just an issue of power. The card that came with my 5,1 a million years ago didn't play nice with PT from the very first day back in 2010. It took forever to figure out what was going on (endless trouble tickets with avid over many years helped not at all) but it ended up the graphics card was the root of the problem (along with ancient graphics routines avid finally re-wrote for the real world). The problem was ONLY with ProTools, nothing else. Just want to be sure whatever I get this time IS playing well with ProTools and it looks like the 580x does. Thanks !
Old 05-17-2021, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rus5 View Post

Thanks in advance !

I been using the stock 580 with my HDX 1 rig without a hitch in the Mac Pro 2019.
I preferred the slim 580 to be able to put more PCIe cards in the Mac. Also the usb slots that come with the Mac have sufficient power to handle all my dongles and usb peripherals. But you can put a usb dock or usb powered hub to extend your needs as you power grows.
All the graphic hungry plugins will work just fine with the 580 and when you need to transcode some QuickTimes for use with protools video engine, it really get them render fast enough (if you come from a Mac Pro 5.1), even if they are lengthy.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-19-2022, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watagushu2013 View Post
I been using the stock 580 with my HDX 1 rig without a hitch in the Mac Pro 2019.
I preferred the slim 580 to be able to put more PCIe cards in the Mac. Also the usb slots that come with the Mac have sufficient power to handle all my dongles and usb peripherals. But you can put a usb dock or usb powered hub to extend your needs as you power grows.
All the graphic hungry plugins will work just fine with the 580 and when you need to transcode some QuickTimes for use with protools video engine, it really get them render fast enough (if you come from a Mac Pro 5.1), even if they are lengthy.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to start a new thread on this, but about to buy a new 2019 Macpro 16 core and was only considering the stock Radeon W5500X, but one of the MAIN reasons I am upgrading is speed of rendering NR plugs, freezing tracks and making Quicktime ref for clients. I heard that it's worth getting the +$400 W5700X 16G since it can help speed up making quicktimes in Protools?

Is there much truth to this and if so, how tangible is the speed of offline QT bounce?
-HD Omni
-BM Intensity Pro

-Waves Mercury+SSL4000 Collection+Abbey Roads
-iZotope RX10 Advanced
-iZotope Post Production Suite 6
-iZotope Music Production Suite 5
-HALO UP/DOWN MIX
-ANYMIX
-Delonghi Perfecta ESAM 5600.S