Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2003, 09:50 AM

Default Newbie Mbox user seeks drum software .. any recs?

I've just got an Mbox and ProTools LE software for home recording, and I think I'm going to really like it ('tho it looks like theres a bit bigger learning curve than I was originally hoping for. Think I'll buy that Peachpit Press manual on 6 when it comes out).

At the moment, I am looking for a decent (not too pricey) drum machine program to lay down some basic drumtracks. Some of you may remember me from about a month ago when I was soliciting advice on which hardware/software package would be best to make my mac into a recording studio.

Right now I'm playing around with a demo version of a drum program called Doggiebox which is simple and can import good sampled sounds. Before I plunk down $30 for the full version, I was wondering if anyone knows of a drum program out there that can let you fudge and nudge the tempo a bit for a more organic and sloppy drum sound? Something that can export a file that ProTools likes.

Heres the rest of my configuration: 800mhz iMac 512MB ram, 60gig hd running OS 10.2.5
I'm not going to do any high-level stuff with this, just recording some rock and roll with my kids and friends, mostly starting with a drum rack and then overdubbing everything else from there.

Alternatively, I could get a stand-alone drum machine, although with a perfectly good computer I don't see why I should. Anyone see any advantages in that?
Thanks,
Old 08-20-2003, 10:13 AM

Default Re: Newbie Mbox user seeks drum software .. any recs?

There are a couple. I can think of Ritmo and Bubble Drum. If you check www.OSXaudio.com, you'll see the offerings. Since you are using PTLE 6, (I assume) why don't you get PlugSounds Drums and build your own drum patterns in PTLE?

peace.

homershines

for phat drum sounds & samples
contact me at [email protected]

for phat drum sounds & samples
contact me at [email protected]
Old 08-20-2003, 02:47 PM

Default Re: Newbie Mbox user seeks drum software .. any re

Hey Homer,

I've already got some drum samples from you, and they were a lot better than what came with Doggiebox. I may buy that disk from you yet. I think i've already tried bubble drum and I'll pass. I'll check out ritmo and the plugsound drums. I figured there was some sort of instrument plug in that would be a good drumkit for ProTools LE, but haven't known where to look for it yet. I'm just starting to wade through the documentation that came with PTLE, and havent really made much use of the Digi website yet.

Thanks again, anybody else got some advice?

Old 08-21-2003, 03:50 AM

I'm not sure HOW seriouce you are with this,,but you could check out REASON,,it's got all you'll ever need,,and a whole lot more,works semlessly with PT6.1 sound great and is a breeze to program.
If you dig this,then you should check out Drum Kit From Hell,,with out a dought the best drum kit i;ve heard yet,,at the end of the day i cant think of a better set up to get your kids all into making music and recording,,PT6/REASON,,hell i wich i'd had a dad like you,,
Old 08-21-2003, 09:39 AM

Yeah, I've heard great things about Reason. Alas, after spending $400 on an Mbox/PTLE setup and $100 for good set of headphones, I'm pretty sure the wife would disembowel me if I dropped $350 for some software. I'm afraid to even try the demo, because I'd probably like it, then I'd buy it, then I'd be disemboweled. Very dangerous, you see.

(I KNOW its worth it, YOU KNOW its worth it, but SHE doesn't know its worth it - we're poor

Funny, i just assumed there'd be tons of cheap-but-ok stuff out there, even for OSX, music definitely being an area of tinkerer and hacker passion.
Old 08-21-2003, 02:26 PM

At the risk of tossing you into the poor house,,or worse,,sending your marriage down the *****er,,there are still some good deals out there for REASON 2.0 look for audiomidi.com or guitar center or swwetwater sound,,there were a whole heap of them being sold for like 199 and the up grade was a free down load after you had registerd,,
Go on,,you know you want it,,
Old 08-21-2003, 02:44 PM

I scored Reason at Musiciansfriend.com for $199 then got the free upgrade. I'm SOOOOOO glad I did. It's the bomb. Kinda tricky to figure out at first, but if you get a CD tutorial like I did, and read the PDF, it will all start to make total sense. It can be as complicated or as easy as you want.

Then guy Drumkit from Hell and rock your socks off.

Jason
OWC External FW HDD
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonsheroan
Old 10-02-2003, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Newbie Mbox user seeks drum software .. any recs?

Test. Sorry.
OWC External FW HDD
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonsheroan