Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 03-17-2009, 03:03 PM

Default EastWest in PT 8

I talked with the EastWest boys to see if I dare move into PT8 yet. They said there may be some graphic problems, but they are getting conflicting reports right now. I have most of their big libraries and want to make sure it's alright to make the upgrade. Anyone using these samples with the PLAY engine and finding all is well?
Old 03-17-2009, 10:55 PM

Default Re: EastWest in PT 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfunk View Post
Anyone using these samples with the PLAY engine and finding all is well?
I tried it and it was HORRIBLE. The new 1.2 Play update does not seem to like Pro Tools. I tried it in PT 8.cs2 on a Quad core 2.8 with 4 gigs of RAM and could only squeeze out three voices before all manner of crackles, pops, error messages and crashes.

I then tried it on my Quad Core 2.66 with 4 gigs of Ram and PT 7.4cs8 and the graphic interface was completely unresponsive. Couldn't even load a sound.

I posted my findings on Soundsonline and Doug said to "Hold off, there was some significant developments coming soon."

Digi...can you comment???
2xMacPro 2.66,002r,OSX 10.4.10,PT 7.4cs8
3xVisionDaw,NI Komplete,Yamaha 01V/96
Old 03-17-2009, 11:34 PM

I'm also not that happy with the PLAY software using PT8.
I can use it when I just stared a new session, then everything works fine.
But when I allready have 2 instrument tracks openend, and then load PLAY instrument everything freezes.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:09 AM

I'm having the exact problem Anarchy described. If anyone hears anything, please post it.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughterbirth View Post
I'm having the exact problem Anarchy described. If anyone hears anything, please post it.
+1

Euro-Sound Studio
www.euro-sound.org
Old 03-19-2009, 05:46 AM

Can I switch engines (from Play to Kompact or Structure, etc.) without having to buy Goliath again?
Old 03-20-2009, 05:04 PM

EW Pianos on Play still hasn't made it into significant rotation in my tool box yet. 1.1.6 was unusable. 1.1.13 was an improvement, but I still ran into enough glitches that I just couldn't count on it to be there when I needed it. 1.2 is pretty new. It seems to be an improvement over 1.1.13, but I haven't had time to work it though the paces.
  • 1.2 seems to have a lower memory footprint - this is significant, given PT8's current lack of 64-bit support.
  • The engine has had fewer glitches, i.e. repeated notes, stuttering notes, early cutoffs, etc. Actually, I haven't run into this on 1.2 yet, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's been solved.
  • I still have the "frozen gui" problem on PT8cs2. I think EW diagnosed this one incorrectly. They believe it's a PT8 issue with dual monitors, but I don't think so. I've experienced it on 7.4, and with a single monitor, too. I think there's a problem with some other VSTs that causes this. The workaround is to make sure Play is the first VST that's loaded. So, just make all your other tracks inactive when you save the session, and then activate them after Play has loaded. It's a little extra work, but it's not a big deal.
Also, the following can help
  • Use Engine Level 0 - there's no real advantage in increasing it, especially on 32-bit machines
  • Use the Lite patches - you don't really have enough memory under PT to use more than that
  • Disable the reverb if you don't need it (I think it doesn't work at all under 1.2, but I haven't had time to verify, and I don't really care)
  • Try to use one mic position
  • I don't have space here to get into how it works, but learn how to use the Sample Purge buttons under Advanced Properties for rendering tracks. It's in the manual.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
EW Pianos on Play still hasn't made it into significant rotation in my tool box yet. 1.1.6 was unusable. 1.1.13 was an improvement, but I still ran into enough glitches that I just couldn't count on it to be there when I needed it. 1.2 is pretty new. It seems to be an improvement over 1.1.13, but I haven't had time to work it though the paces.
  • 1.2 seems to have a lower memory footprint - this is significant, given PT8's current lack of 64-bit support.
  • The engine has had fewer glitches, i.e. repeated notes, stuttering notes, early cutoffs, etc. Actually, I haven't run into this on 1.2 yet, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's been solved.
  • I still have the "frozen gui" problem on PT8cs2. I think EW diagnosed this one incorrectly. They believe it's a PT8 issue with dual monitors, but I don't think so. I've experienced it on 7.4, and with a single monitor, too. I think there's a problem with some other VSTs that causes this. The workaround is to make sure Play is the first VST that's loaded. So, just make all your other tracks inactive when you save the session, and then activate them after Play has loaded. It's a little extra work, but it's not a big deal.
Also, the following can help
  • Use Engine Level 0 - there's no real advantage in increasing it, especially on 32-bit machines
  • Use the Lite patches - you don't really have enough memory under PT to use more than that
  • Disable the reverb if you don't need it (I think it doesn't work at all under 1.2, but I haven't had time to verify, and I don't really care)
  • Try to use one mic position
  • I don't have space here to get into how it works, but learn how to use the Sample Purge buttons under Advanced Properties for rendering tracks. It's in the manual.
hey this helped me too somewhat but not enough to use it confidently in a session. which sucks because play makes the best sample libraries imo