Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2010, 09:04 PM

Default complimenting the Pacifica!!

Recording Application: Everything!! (Acoustic guitar, vocals, percussion, amp micing etc..)

Which of these mics would you prefer to use with the A-designs Pacifica..

- U87

- C414 uls

- Tlm 103

- Bock U195

- Peluso p12
Old 04-06-2010, 09:05 PM

Default Re: complimenting the Pacifica!!

Whichever sounds best for what I'm trying to do.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:21 PM

Which one would u say is always going to sound good no matter what u put on it
Old 04-07-2010, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primomusic View Post
Which one would u say is always going to sound good no matter what u put on it
No such mic exists. Any decent recordist will match the mic to the use (and the artist). For example, even though a U87 is considered a premier vocal mic there are times it just doesn't work for some singers. In that case some will go for a C414 of older vintage, some will even go with an SM57 (Bono does for most of his work). And I don't think I've ever seen a U87 in front of a guitar cab.

QAPLA!
Old 04-08-2010, 06:20 PM

Ive seen someone record a guitar amp with a u87.. well it does make sense that all mics are different and u have to see which best suits the application or singer.. the only reason I was aking was because I could only afford one mic($1500) and thats it..
Old 04-08-2010, 07:03 PM

NONE of the above..... I'm going to highly stress you look into a brand new microphone that I've had the great fortune of trying out a pre-release model, and it's from a company you probably have never heard of before. But first, there really are microphones that can work great across multiple sources, and those that are not. This one, CAN and WILL. What I'm referring to is the MIKETEK CV4. Here's a blog I wrote up from my first-impressions after using their microphones:

http://www.theaudioprofessional.com/...CROPHONES.html

I'm telling ya'll---you're going to hear amazing things from this company!
Old 04-09-2010, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primomusic View Post
Ive seen someone record a guitar amp with a u87.. well it does make sense that all mics are different and u have to see which best suits the application or singer.. the only reason I was aking was because I could only afford one mic($1500) and thats it..
At $1500 you're not getting a U87 unless you buy used. New they go for over $3000 - that's double your budget. The C414ULS is discontinued. The current versions of that mic are the C414XLS which is basically flat response mic and the C414XLII which is geared more towards vocals. Both are multi-pattern mics selling for around $1000 give or take. I have the XLS and it's definitely not a first-call vocal mike - I find it a little harsh but works well for most other sources.

I also have a pair of TLM103's and would never use them for solo voice. Group vocals - yes. Instruments - yes. Foley work and sampling - definitely yes. These mics have probably the lowest noise floor of anything on the market irregardless of price.

For do-it-all mics on your budget I'd go for either a Neumann TLM127 (about $1500-$1600) or get a matched stereo pair of AKG C214 mikes going for $999 from Sweetwater. The TLM127 is a multi-pattern mic and the AKG's are cardioid only - they're the little brother to the C414.

And don't forget decent mic stands, cables and a pop filter - those will add up quick (trust me).

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 04-09-2010 at 04:29 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 04-09-2010, 04:57 AM

The TLM127 and the C214's are nice microphones indeed, but with the Pacifica I won't say they are "do it all mics". The reason I suggested the one I suggested is that it is a tube microphone, which is a great match with the solid-state massive transformer sound of the Pacifica. The tone of the MikTek CV4 has proven to sound incredible on either male or female voice, sounds absolutely stellar on acoustic guitar, electric guitar amps, and even on kick-drum. It is also a mult-pattern mic allowing it to be used in a various pickup patterns. No, they don't have the name---and right now, I doubt most have even heard of them. And personally if I weren't knee-deep in a massive landscaping project at my home right now and didn't just pickup a bunch of gear recently, I already would have bought this microphone. I had another mic on my wishlist, it was $2500---after using the CV4, THAT is what I'm getting and taking the rest of the oney and applying towards something else. This thing is good, really really dang good.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:26 AM

Do yourself a favor and look at the Pearlman TM1.

Hand built, tube (you can request different types), very cool guy.

www.pearlmanmicrophones.com/

Type that microphone into the search engine of Gearslutz and listen to the endless praise.

I have both the microphone and the preamp. While no microphone will do everything, the TM1 will cover a lot of bases and do it in style.