Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 06-27-2005, 02:50 PM

Default DAE Error -36 on new external firewire drive

Greetings,
I am running a PT Mix3 system on a G4 / 933 running OS 9.2.2 w/ 512K RAM. Last spring I installed OSX.3 as a dual-boot, which I don't use so much, but what little switching back and forth I've done works just fine. I have 2 internal hard drives, and several external firewire drives, 1 Lacie and 2 from MacSales.com. They all work fine. I recently bought a new 250 gig Firewire drive from Tekserve in NYC (that looks just like the MacSales.com drives). It worked fine at first, but suddenly last week I started getting a DAE error -36 when I tried to play back the audio in any session with files on that drive. The sessions open fine, but don't play without that error. I tried doing Save Session Copy, or creating new audio files, but I get the same thing. However, if I copy those audio files from the new firewire drive to one of my older ones, the sessions play fine.

Any tips on what might be going on with this new drive? Could PT 6 in OSX have tagged it somehow in a way that messes it up for OS9 / 5.1.1? Why don't my other Firewire drives have this problem...? THanks for your help! - Steve
Old 06-27-2005, 04:17 PM
Avid

Default Re: DAE Error -36 on new external firewire drive

Did you use the OSX Disk Utility to format the drive before using it?

If not, that's most likely the problem. Backup the drive and reformat it.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:23 PM

Hmmm,
This is kind of a pain, and doesn't make any sense. I have a 2nd Firewire drive, exactly the same kind, bought from the same vendor. When I look under the system profiler in OS 9.2.2, which is the OS under which I spend 98% of my time, both drives show up as Mac OS (HFS+). Why would one drive suddently start giving me a DAE Error -36 for no reason? I'd like to know what caused it, so I can prevent it in the future. It was working fine previously. Why would every session on this drive suddenly be giving me this error? Does it have something to do with running PT 6 for Mix systems under OSX, then going back to using OS9 / PT 5.1.1?
Please provide some more insight into why this might have happened! Thanks - Steve
Old 07-04-2005, 03:04 PM

Steve,

This won't fix your drive issue, but your ram @ 512megs is seriously underpowered if you want to run OSX. For a single processor G4, you should max it out (1.5 gigs) on 3 DIMMs -- you can get PC133 512meg DIMMs for about $60 each. This is a great investment and you will get lots of value for your $$.

If you're going to run OSX, without the ram, you will be in trouble.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Does it have something to do with running PT 6 for Mix systems under OSX, then going back to using OS9 / PT 5.1.1?
shouldn't. could be the drive. if you copy the sessions to another drive, do the files open? if so, back it up, wipe it, and try again. does the problem go away? Also -- if you have disk warrior, try that.

when you format it, make sure you enable OS9 drivers (I'd use OSX to format it)

just because you bought 2 of the same drive from the same vendor at the same time doesn't mean one can't fail! One drive can simply have errors. It happens. Wipe it and restore - if the problem goes away, it was directory damage. If it remains, there may be a hardware issue (likely).
Old 07-05-2005, 07:57 AM

Jeremy,
Thanks a lot for the tips and insights. (Much more helpful than Digi tech support has been thus far...) I will definitely upgrade my RAM. Maybe that explains why all the faders and knobs in my Waves plugs in OSX are sooooo damn sluggish...!?

As far as the drive issue - yes, if I copy the audio files from the "bad" drive to my any of my other Firewire drives, they run fine. And the drive also runs fine under OSX. So, I guess I'll try backing up and re-formatting and see where that gets me. Or maybe I'll try Disk Warrior first, which i do have... Thanks! - Steve
Old 07-14-2005, 07:02 AM

Disk Warrior did the trick. There must have been some kind of directory error that freaked out PT under OS9, but not under OSX. Glad I didn't go through all the malarkey of re-formatting the way Digi support initially suggested...