Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2021, 07:03 AM

Default Track input monitor and recorded region too during playback

I'm coming from Logic, so I tend to replicate in PT some Logic behaviours that I am used to.
Now, in Logic there is obviously the Auto input Monitor option in Record mode, as in PT.
Well, if you disable it and the track is armed, playing back the song you can contemporary listen to both your track input monitor and the recorded region too. At the moment in which you click on "Quick punch record" obviously the recorded region disappears from the ears, making place to the new recording.
This is useful for me, because the singer often wants to make a little try just a little before the punch in point, but he also wants to listen to the already recorded takes, so to better identify himself with the old take.. I can't find this behaviour in PT. Ins't it there?
ITALY
Old 08-18-2021, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Track input monitor and recorded region too during playback

Try Pre Roll and Post Roll.

I do a lot of Described Video and need to punch and roll. You can use Quick Punch and just playdown from wherever the Talent wants to hear from and Quick Punch in at the place where the new vocal is going. I find it's easier to not use/have the Transport in Quick Punch and just highlight the area to be replaced and put in a sufficient Pre Roll amount to get the "flavor" of the already recorded take. The Transport will play from the Pre Roll point the length of the Pre Roll and then drop into Record at the beginning of the highlighted area, record to the end of the highlighted area and then either stop or play the already recorded material the length of your Post Roll.

You may also find it useful to use Selection Memory Locations Markers to get back to the same areas and with the same Pre and Post Roll Values.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction

Last edited by The Weed; 08-18-2021 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-19-2021, 12:09 AM

Yeah! I tried it. All you wrote works, And also memory location is very useful. But here this works only in Track Input mode. The disadvantage is that, every time that I want to re-listen to the just recorded take, I have to change to Auto-input mode, or disarm track. And If I want to record and listen every time, I have to continuously change input / auto-input mode... It's not a tragedy, but even not so comfortable
ITALY
Old 08-19-2021, 10:39 AM

The routing you use makes a difference. In my experience, some routing requires the track to be in Input Only. If you have PT Ultimate, there is a Preference to "Disable “Input” When Disarming Track (In “Stop”)". If you only have Standard, Shift+I is your friend.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 08-19-2021, 06:21 PM

"playing back the song you can contemporary listen to both your track input monitor and the recorded region too. "

This is confusing to me(especially the word "contemporary" in this context. maybe some translation software is confusing this?). How can you listen to the input AND the recorded audio? Of course, if you use an interface that allows for mixing the input WITH the DAW, then I understand, but that's a function of the interface. In PT, to listen to both playback audio AND recorded audio, you could put up an AUX track using the same input. That would allow you to hear your live input all the time(and might cover your needs)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-21-2021, 01:49 AM

Quote:
How can you listen to the input AND the recorded audio?
I use Logic since years now, and it does it. Don't know how it can do it but it does it.
Conversely Auto input monitor ON behaves as PT

Quote:
In PT, to listen to both playback audio AND recorded audio, you could put up an AUX track using the same input. That would allow you to hear your live input all the time(and might cover your needs)
Tried it. Yes, it works
ITALY
Old 08-21-2021, 04:40 AM

Quote:
If you have PT Ultimate, there is a Preference to "Disable “Input” When Disarming Track (In “Stop”)".
I have it... So I have Ultimate. Glad to know it... :)
ITALY
Old 08-21-2021, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnstudio View Post
...playing back the song you can [simultaneously] listen to both your track input monitor and the recorded region too. At the moment in which you click on "Quick punch record" obviously the recorded region disappears from the ears, making place to the new recording....
Pro Tools doesn't support this particular behavior - it's not a typical punch/monitor workflow, but I can understand how someone might want it (the old SSL consoles had a function called "supercue" which did exactly this). I don't really know if Logic does per se; as someone else mentioned, this may be a function of the interface's 'console' software (like TotalMix, UAD Console, etc), but without knowing what interface you're using and if you're running a third-party 'console' there's no way anyone can help further.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 08-21-2021, 09:29 AM

I use Apogee Element 88, I don't think it's an own Apogee function. I could get wrong but I think it is a Logic behaviour
ITALY
Old 08-21-2021, 09:42 AM

Albee’s suggestion of using an AUX track for your mic input is a viable solution within Pro Tools.
Feed the cue send from the AUX track and you will always hear the mic input.

Alternatively, your Apogee interface has dedicated software for creating custom headphone mixes within that software so you can hear both the Pro Tools output as well as the microphone input.

If you don’t have the Apogee Control software, here’s some info

https://apogeedigital.com/products/element/control