How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 08-22-2021, 03:35 PM

Default Re: GUI freezes frequently with 2021.6 on M1 Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVaschon View Post
I have an Apple Computer running the macOS Big Sur operating system. No matter what I do, every few seconds I get the spinning beach ball. I have just under 1TB of available memory space, I've deleted files & programs, checked for viruses, turned off other programs while using Pro Tools, upgraded from Pro Tools v6.0 to v7.0; absolutely NOTHING works! It's SO damn frustrating!!!!

When I visit my AVID account page and check for products, there simply is no available link to download a previous version of Pro Tools. So what now?????
Hmmh, did I just miss something or did I read it right that you are on Big Sur and using PT6 or PT7 as in versions that were made for PPC platform? Please check compatibility info here and find out you need PT2021.3 or later for Big Sur support.
Old 09-14-2021, 07:39 PM

Beach ball persist. so far I tried everything i read
Old 09-17-2021, 05:48 PM

Pedro, have a read of that last page of this thread

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=416815&page=5

I've done a test removing Waves plugins to see if the beach ball goes away.

If you'd like to do your own test and report back it would be interesting to hear what you find.

The community thanks you
Old 09-22-2021, 12:16 AM

I'm going through the same problem. Protools 2021 - MacOs BigSur
Old 09-22-2021, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I don't see it here. Fully loaded M1 Mac Mini with clean install of Big Sur 11.5.1 and PT 2021.6
To repeat myself, I do not see it here. Not even after first updating to PT2021.7 and later to macOS 11.6 -- BUT (and a very big but) there is this thing called clean install that I did instead of updating over updates and another updates after factory install.
Old 09-22-2021, 03:46 AM

Quote:
To repeat myself, I do not see it here. Not even after first updating to PT2021.7 and later to macOS 11.6 -- BUT (and a very big but) there is this thing called clean install that I did instead of updating over updates and another updates after factory install.
You are in denial. Yes, you are repeating yourself. If you don't believe there is a problem with 2021.6 and .7 with GUI freezes/beachballs, then you are wilfully ignoring those who are reporting it here.
There's a guy on the Presonus Forum (PreAI) whose reponse to absolutely everything is "check you've got the latest drivers, update every plugin". He says it regardless of the issue and defends it vigorously at all times. It's very dull and it's a distraction from actually fixing stuff or revealing where the application is at fault.

So, you've said your piece - you don't have problems and you believe that a complete 'clean' reinstall of the OS, and then everything else will fix this issue.
The fact that earlier version of PT do not have this problem, and that downgrading back to 2021.3 seems to be a fix for most, if not everyone CLEARLY points to a fault with the latest two versions of PT.

Dominic
Old 09-22-2021, 03:49 AM

I am just sayin' because of my beta testing background I know (not guess) it is always best to get rid of as many variables as possible. Clean install and getting rid of plugins are such methods. If you have a random error and a random install, you have random chance to figure out what to fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2021, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
There's a guy on the Presonus Forum (PreAI) whose reponse to absolutely everything is "check you've got the latest drivers, update every plugin". He says it regardless of the issue and defends it vigorously at all times. It's very dull and it's a distraction from actually fixing stuff or revealing where the application is at fault.
There are many forums that have these kinds of "advisors", Apple Support Community comes to mind, where people get "points" for giving copy/paste "advice". Janne is not like that. We are lucky at the DUC. Here people are generally polite and they read posts thoroughly before giving good advice when they can.

I support Jannes point about clean installs. I've been a believer in this for decades. Big part of my having stable working systems. I wish some one with these problems had the time and an empty drive to test it. Two or three hours should do it. And make backups along the way in case problems arise again. That's troubleshooting.

Added: BTW, I disagree strongly with Janne and others' determination that Migration assistant should be avoided. The only thing it fails at is transfer of large complicated programs like PT. I use it everytime I do a clean install, and as long as I deselect transfer programs, everything works fine; licenses, system settings, preferences, contacts, bookmark, passwords, everything. Makes the whole thing doable in an evening.
Old 09-22-2021, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Janne is not like that
It is always nice to read a supportive comment, but you are right -- I am not here for that. Same goes for any other moderator; we are here to help.

I do not care what people think about my posts. I mostly present facts, and if on a bad day someone gets under my skin I can also apologise for being rude. Publicly or privately, if I am out of line just say so. But out of my thousands of posts I would guess very big percentage are on the point.

Thanks Ben!
Old 09-22-2021, 08:10 AM

Quote:
It is always nice to read a supportive comment, but you are right -- I am not here for that. Same goes for any other moderator; we are here to help.

I do not care what people think about my posts. I mostly present facts, and if on a bad day someone gets under my skin I can also apologise for being rude. Publicly or privately, if I am out of line just say so. But out of my thousands of posts I would guess very big percentage are on the point.

Thanks Ben!
JFreak, do you have any Waves plugs on the M1 machine? I saw someone linking the PT 2021.7 beachballing to Waves plugs, but haven't had any confirmation or time to test it myself.