Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2013, 09:09 AM

Default Re: PT11 - Who Cares??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcwiz View Post
Again to market with a product that's not ready, a common theme these days. Must have a good reason right? Avid will take even more flak over it. Also wonder why they didn't wait for the Ilokalypse to pass?
Anyway who cares, I'll stick with PT10 it works
I'm glad they did - they put the heat on the 3rd parties - to make life happen in PT11
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:13 AM

It might be hard disk related. I did some testing on my system last night and found that I could record 32 mono audio tracks simultaneously without a hickup. Tried 64 tracks and occasionally got the error Rus mentioned but the CPU utilization was still low. This was all going to a single external USB3 Drive dock with a 7200 Hitachi in it. The drive access meter would vary wildly with both the 32 and 64 track tests. Sometimes 9%, sometimes 40% with spikes near 80%. It never failed with the 32 track though and failed about 2 out of 7 tries with 64 tracks.
MSI home build
11th Gen Intel i7-11700K @ 3.60GHz
32g RAM, 6Tb SSD
AVID Dock w/Android 10" Tablet
IK Multimedia AXE I/O
Behringer U-Phoria UMC1820 USB Audio Interface

Bakerplace.net A place for Audio/Video Post Production.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
I would really like clarification on when we should update and if we need the "combo" installer or just the update as we are on 10.8.3 now.
The "running combo installer" myth was back in the Panther and Tiger days (before Intel machines) and for some strange reason it has carried on to where we are now.

Delta installers (the normal updates) should not break anything. But if you feel there's something wrong you can always try running a combo installer which replaces every single file that has changed since "day one".

So no, there's nothing wrong in always running a combo installer, but no, there is no absolute need for it either.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
The "running combo installer" myth was back in the Panther and Tiger days (before Intel machines) and for some strange reason it has carried on to where we are now.

Delta installers (the normal updates) should not break anything. But if you feel there's something wrong you can always try running a combo installer which replaces every single file that has changed since "day one".

So no, there's nothing wrong in always running a combo installer, but no, there is no absolute need for it either.
Great! Thank you for that clear precise answer JFreak
I have only updated once on the retina and it was from the osx 10.8.2-10.8.3 so as that went without any hiccups I guess I will do the same now after hearing from you so again Thank you for clarifying that

Best Regards
Chris

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 06-25-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rus5 View Post
I've gotta say it. I'm trying to sift through the issues with my new PT11HD upgrade. As far as I can tell, it is absolutely useless to me. I have some major issues with its basic functioning, Avid hasn't even bothered to port its own key plugins like Eleven Rack, Revibe, X-form and many others to it. Its been two years since AAX was announced and very very few developers have plugins ready for it despite Avid's absolute assurances it was EASY to develop for. Many of the ones who have, or will, aren't going to support Avid's HDX platform at all because its too hard to write for, again despite Avid's absolute assurance that once you've got an AAX-Native going, its a simple step from that to AAX-DSP - which turned out to be a flat out bold faced lie. And Waves (hate them or not, pretty basic to our business) is NEVER going to write for -DSP. And I'm told by many these days that plenty of other DAWs work just as well or better in a professional environment and don't have any of these problems. In my own case, I have PT11 running (poorly) and I can't see using it to do actual work for, well, I guess I can't even guess but probably at least another year at the rate things are going. Further, Avid as a company has been so badly run (thank you Chris Gahagan and Louis Hernandez and, of course Gary Greenfield) that they're almost out of business, their stock is 10% of what it was a few years ago, NASDAQ has formally threatened to delist them, they failed to even provide their required financial report several months ago and they have several lawsuits piling up against them. So my question is, even though it seems faster and has some improved features (many of which the other DAWs have already had for years), PT11: who cares??? I still have to use PT10 anyway and will as far forward as I can see. Unless I switch to another DAW. What am I missing??
Ok. At the risk of being a fanboy I'm gonna have my say because I for one am fed up with people whining about PT11.

From an audio engineering standpoint if you can't use the basic tools provided with the vanilla install to do some real work then you either rely too much on tools or you haven't the slightest clue as to what the hell you are doing. I've delivered TWO entire projects from release date (mind you that was Friday) to today using only stock plugins and have found myself very pleased with the results. I could have easily switched back to 10 and used my Waves Mercury bundle, UAD plugs, Native Instruments synths and all that. Instead I decided to stick with it and use 11 exclusively to work out all the kinks. Like or not PT 11 will be the new standard once all the kinks are fixed.

No software is perfect on day 1, get used to it. That doesn't mean it doesn't work. As far as AAX goes if the plugs haven't been ported its not Avid's fault. They've done their job and created a new spec that is superior to anything before it. If plug manufacturers are too lazy to get on with the program now they will do so once they get enough flak from their customers.

To me this is the best PT release in a long time and its put a big smile on my face. If you don't like it, thats your problem.
Solid State Logic Matrix
B&W 800 series + Yamaha HSM80s

Mojave Audio, Royer, Neumann, Audix, Yamaha, AKG and Shure mics. Focusrite ISA828, SSL Alpha VHD, UA LA610-mkii, M-Audio OctoPre, Avid Eleven Rack

Canare and Mogami cabling.

http://www.boomsounddesign.com
Old 06-25-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Sounds like you might have made a bad business decision upgrading so fast.

Tell us why you did this, what was your process like? Did you research it thoroughly? Check with 3rd party devs as to their plans to support AAX2 and what their timetable was?
Don't do that. Don't post that snide remark to him. A professional company puts on this big release conference, touts their new release as the Next Big Thing in recording.. talks about how great it is.. And the RELEASES it waayyyy before it is ready.. And we're not allowed to have any critique on it? They just get a pass from releasing a terrible product because they warned us of the awfulness in the fine print? That's ludicrous. If this guy wants to point out how terrible PT11 is and how upset he is with it, then he has all the right to do so.. He didn't release PT11 before it was ready, Avid did.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomsounddesign View Post
Ok. At the risk of being a fanboy I'm gonna have my say because I for one am fed up with people whining about PT11.

From an audio engineering standpoint if you can't use the basic tools provided with the vanilla install to do some real work then you either rely too much on tools or you haven't the slightest clue as to what the hell you are doing. I've delivered TWO entire projects from release date (mind you that was Friday) to today using only stock plugins and have found myself very pleased with the results. I could have easily switched back to 10 and used my Waves Mercury bundle, UAD plugs, Native Instruments synths and all that. Instead I decided to stick with it and use 11 exclusively to work out all the kinks. Like or not PT 11 will be the new standard once all the kinks are fixed.

No software is perfect on day 1, get used to it. That doesn't mean it doesn't work. As far as AAX goes if the plugs haven't been ported its not Avid's fault. They've done their job and created a new spec that is superior to anything before it. If plug manufacturers are too lazy to get on with the program now they will do so once they get enough flak from their customers.

To me this is the best PT release in a long time and its put a big smile on my face. If you don't like it, thats your problem.

I would GO OUT ON A LIMB here and state that the vast majority of people who purchase PT are not top-tier audio engineers.. meaning YES, they like to use any number of plugins that are available out there. When that many people (who use this product) now suddenly can't utilize all those plugins they have paid a lot of money for, then yes, they are going to be upset. Especially when you could go to just about any other DAW and get the same 64-bit processing and still be able to use your plugins. You can flaunt your "I'm a bigboy engineer" chuffness all you want.. the vast majority of people who buy and use PT don't care.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomsounddesign View Post
To me this is the best PT release in a long time and its put a big smile on my face.
Me too. And to be more precise, this is best thing since PT6 and OSX support

(that is +10 years by the way)
Old 06-25-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Me too. And to be more precise, this is best thing since PT6 and OSX support

(that is +10 years by the way)
+11HD

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 06-25-2013, 11:33 AM

Hey Rus,
I know you probably already checked, but what about unplugging your internet and see what happens?
Fender Strats, Ibanez Acoustic, Ibanez Bass, Ibanez Electric.

http://www.johnackermusic.com/
[email protected]

Live and Let Live