Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2021, 05:53 PM

Default Clicking on split clips

Has anyone experience clicks on split clips? I'm not talking about clips that need cross fades, I'm talking about a single clip that has been split and there is a click at the split as though it needs a cross fade.

I can do a heal (ctrl + h) on the split which proves that the waveforms line up and haven't been moved or altered.

Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.06
Old 08-15-2021, 06:16 PM

Default Re: Clicking on split clips

2021.07 doesn't fix it. I've done a null test to make sure I'm not imagining it. This is making editing very difficult.
Old 08-16-2021, 08:35 AM

Any chance elastic audio is on that track?

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 08-16-2021, 12:06 PM

There's no zero-crossing-editing in Pro Tools, so if you separate a Clip anywhere but at zero crossing, you're likely to hear a "click". Since you have Ultimate, you can have Fades automatically applied when a Clip is separated. It's in the Miscellaneous Section of Preferences. From the Manual:

"Clip Auto Fade In/Out Length
(Pro Tools | Ultimate Only)
This setting determines the default length for fade-ins and fade-outs that are automatically applied to clip boundaries on playback. Using automatic fade-ins and fade-outs saves you the trouble of editing to zero-crossings or creating numerous rendered fades in order to eliminate clicks or pops in playback. Autofades are not written to disk. Value range is from 0–10 ms for the Auto Clip Fade In/Out Length setting. A value of zero means that no auto-fading will occur. The Auto Fade value is
saved with the session, and is automatically applied to all free-standing clip boundaries until you change it.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 08-16-2021, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
Any chance elastic audio is on that track?
It's not. Good thinking though, when I read this ti thought that this could be it.
Old 08-16-2021, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
There's no zero-crossing-editing in Pro Tools, so if you separate a Clip anywhere but at zero crossing, you're likely to hear a "click". Since you have Ultimate, you can have Fades automatically applied when a Clip is separated. It's in the Miscellaneous Section of Preferences. From the Manual:

"Clip Auto Fade In/Out Length
(Pro Tools | Ultimate Only)
This setting determines the default length for fade-ins and fade-outs that are automatically applied to clip boundaries on playback. Using automatic fade-ins and fade-outs saves you the trouble of editing to zero-crossings or creating numerous rendered fades in order to eliminate clicks or pops in playback. Autofades are not written to disk. Value range is from 0–10 ms for the Auto Clip Fade In/Out Length setting. A value of zero means that no auto-fading will occur. The Auto Fade value is
saved with the session, and is automatically applied to all free-standing clip boundaries until you change it.
Thanks for trying to help me. I have to disagree with the non zero crossing causing a click, that should only happen if the waveforms don't line up. This is not the case as the split is on a single clip and not moved at all.

I've done thousands of cuts like this and never heard any clicks on cut like this.
Old 08-17-2021, 06:28 AM

Any chance you changed the clip gain on one of the split partitions or created an automation change across the boundary?
Old 08-17-2021, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abt View Post
Thanks for trying to help me. I have to disagree with the non zero crossing causing a click, that should only happen if the waveforms don't line up. This is not the case as the split is on a single clip and not moved at all.

I've done thousands of cuts like this and never heard any clicks on cut like this.
Yeah - shouldn't click under those circumstances. Any possibility clip-effects applied? Nothing else is coming to mind. Post if you figure it out.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 08-17-2021, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
Any chance you changed the clip gain on one of the split partitions or created an automation change across the boundary?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
Yeah - shouldn't click under those circumstances. Any possibility clip-effects applied? Nothing else is coming to mind. Post if you figure it out.
No, nothing on the clip. I can take a clip and make a cut, commit it, then heal the cut. It shouldn't heal if the clip is different in any way.

I can then invert the committed clip and it nulls 100% except where the cut is, there's a click there. I might have to report this one to avid.
Old 08-17-2021, 05:10 PM

If you zoom in, does the waveform look smooth/continuous across the split? Or is there a jump?

Def double check that there's no fade in or out at that microscopic level.

And is there a difference between splitting at a point where the waveform is 0 vs somewhere along a peak or trough? Not that it should matter, but would be interesting to know/report.